HW80 Max Power

Wharf Rat

I am thinking of adding an FAC springer to the collection. What kind of useable power could I get from an HW80? I notice that some Theobans come up for sale at around 22fp - would an HW be similar?

I knew a guy who was good with these, he shortened the pistons to get more swept volume and with a fairly normal spring and ordinary cocking pressure could squeeze 24 ft lbs out of his .22, but it used to hurt my trigger finger at that level :lol: , seriously. When he wound it down 2 or 3 ft lbs it was very shootable and pretty damn good circa 1990's.

I had one myself which was hard keeping below 12 ft lbs. Once I cut about 4 coils off the spring which sent it down to 8 ft lbs, :no: , so I cut 3 coils off another spring and rigged them up flat end to flat end (2 broken springs in effect) thinking it'll do the trick. It sent it UP to 16 ft lbs :lol: and was incredibly smooth to shoot with no hint of spring twang etc. Out they came sharpish to be replaced by an Airforce aftermarket spring which was also over 12 ft lbs. I left this cocked for 4 days to weaken it, the power went UP slightly. :yes: . It took ages to tame it down to 11 ft lbs in other words.

18 in 22 is easy, 16 in 177 is easy. A taylor made spring guide from solid really sweetens them up.

The thing about an 80 is it's weight, it will still shoot very very good when wound up!

I think the only second choice from the 80 for me personaly would be one of the big Diana's but they are a bit ugly IMO.

U.

The HW80, as manufactured, produces around 18ft/lb out of the box-the spring is changed to comply with our laws.Simple enough ,i would imagine,to get your licence then order a standard spring from Hull Cartridge?

Have a look at Chambers website, or better still contact Dave Hall, he'll sort you he lives here http://airgunshooters.freeforums.org/index.php

Also get on here for everything Weihrauch http://weihrauchowners.freeforums.org/main-index-f35.html

Plenty of springers can easily make it well into the 20's!

All the best to you, everyone will have a view and FAC springers don't do it for me at all.

Call me a tart if you like, I have been called a lot worse, but I struggle to shoot even a 12ft lb springer these days, PCP every time.

They are just so easy accurate and repeatable in decent FAC levels! :yes::yes:

:good:

PS

Now heres another question, why am I far more accurate with a .308 at 100 yards than a 12ft lb Springer at 30yards, there is no question the .308 shakes your bones more! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Edited by Dekers

You are spot-on Dekers. PCP would probably be more accurate, easier and perhaps even cheaper; but I simply have no enthusiasm for them. All of the shooting I have done over the years, I still enjoy springers more than a 'proper' rifle or shotgun.

I think part of it, is getting to know each springer and it's foibles and how to use it.

I wonder if you are a better shot with the .308 as you are more confident with it? I can shoot better with my old 630 with bent open sights than anything else - after 20+ years I just sort of know where to point the thing. I think that part of the joy of shooting is that it is a craft not a science - there is just as much art and 'feel' as anything else.