Anyone Got a Ski holiday soon ?

MJN

Is anyone going skiing soon, have you looked into the snow conditions ?

I've just looked at Davos/Klosters & Arosa and surrounding areas it looks like mid summr from the webcams !

usually by this time of the year you're thinking another 2mm and we can start skiing (if you live near the mountains), at the moment it looks like biking weather !

M.

I've just looked at Davos/Klosters & Arosa and surrounding areas it looks like mid summr from the webcams !

usually by this time of the year you're thinking another 2mm and we can start skiing (if you live near the mountains), at the moment it looks like biking weather !

M.

I am going over New Year. Saas Fee in Switzerland which is high. Skiing in Europe always hard before Christmas.

AVB,

My last two ski holidays were in Saas Fee, stayed in the Sporthotel, good food and the owner is a ski instructor/guide as well.

The Museum in the old house on the main street is worth a visit if you get bored of skiing, & apres-ski.

M.

Spielboden.jpg

Edited by MJN

I am going over New Year. Saas Fee in Switzerland which is high. Skiing in Europe always hard before Christmas.

I have been ging to Saas Fee for the last five years. Amazing place. Any questions, let me know. I will probably be there or on the other side of the mountain (Zermat) in early March

I have been ging to Saas Fee for the last five years. Amazing place. Any questions, let me know. I will probably be there or on the other side of the mountain (Zermat) in early March

Cheers. It's my first time to Sees Fee. I can't remember where we are staying but it is a chalet hotel i.e. a small hotel that is run as a chalet. La Collina rings a bell. It comes highly recommended. I hope they have decent snow as I suspect just depending on the glacier pistes would be a long shot. Is snow at New Year guaranteed there or can it be bad some years? The children have been having lessons on the indoor slope at Hemel Hempstead. They are already at level 4 and off of the nursery slope so are really looking forward to it.

Andrew

Snow is not a problem in Saas Fee. Not only it is high enough, not only all the pistes face north (it was -37C last January when I was there last) it also enjoys glacier ski. I was there three summers ago and we had 10cm of powder in August... ;)

Go and have a look at Saaserhof hotel Amazing but unfortunately VERY expensive...

My son's off to Courcheval in 2 weeks with Uni... just checked the webcams... there is NO snow on the mountains... even if it dumped for the next 14 days it is unlikely it would be enough... so looks like he'll just spend the week ******!!!

If business picks up (I'm not optimistic) was planning to pick up a last minute thing back end of March to USA or Canada... If things keep the way they are, that will have to go on the back burner for a year or two!

Edited by Vipa

I'm Off to Tignes on the 31st Dec, for a week, not been before but that is supposed to be high enough for it to always have snow, or so they say!

Cheers

Ando.

Tignes is great, huge area to play on and loads of off piste too. Just be careful with the off piste as it's easy to end up in a mess like me and a mate did inadvertantly jumping off an avalanche tunnel covering a road and falling around 50 feet, good job it was powder below :lol:

My son's off to Courcheval in 2 weeks with Uni... just checked the webcams... there is NO snow on the mountains... even if it dumped for the next 14 days it is unlikely it would be enough... so looks like he'll just spend the week ******!!!

If business picks up (I'm not optimistic) was planning to pick up a last minute thing back end of March to USA or Canada... If things keep the way they are, that will have to go on the back burner for a year or two!

To be honest I much prefer the US (Colorado) to Europe. Fantastic powder snow, empty slopes, language, better manners and better value. The only drawback is the jetlag, altitude and the fact that you really need to go for more than a week to make it good value.

Have done Vail & Breckenridge in the past. Haven't done Canada...

Given the choice, I think I'd head back to Breck.. If I could get the same kind of deal I got last time in 2006. Called Crystal and explained I was a billy no mates and could fly tomorrow. Got a call back a couple of hours and was informed that as long as I dinn't mind moving chalets mid stay they had something for me! Ended up in 2 5 star luxury catered chalets... All for £400 :-)

The Vail trip in '98 was even more obscenely decadent and a fraction of that cost AND ended up with a free lift pass thrown in too!!!!!!!!

Have done Vail & Breckenridge in the past. Haven't done Canada...

Given the choice, I think I'd head back to Breck.. If I could get the same kind of deal I got last time in 2006. Called Crystal and explained I was a billy no mates and could fly tomorrow. Got a call back a couple of hours and was informed that as long as I dinn't mind moving chalets mid stay they had something for me! Ended up in 2 5 star luxury catered chalets... All for £400 :-)

The Vail trip in '98 was even more obscenely decadent and a fraction of that cost AND ended up with a free lift pass thrown in too!!!!!!!!

My two favourites too. Breck for the family facilities, Vail for the back bowls.

Tignes is great, huge area to play on and loads of off piste too. Just be careful with the off piste as it's easy to end up in a mess like me and a mate did inadvertantly jumping off an avalanche tunnel covering a road and falling around 50 feet, good job it was powder below :lol:

:blink: :blink: I'll try and make sure we don't do that then!! lol

Cheers

Ando

My two favourites too. Breck for the family facilities, Vail for the back bowls.

I remember describing Vail as 'driving ino christmas!' and still remember it fondly that way... very pretty etc.. etc... Breck was much more real and had a 'gold rush' town feel to it. When I was there in 2006, we went on a day trip to Vail (only a couple of hours away) and it didn't have the same impact or charm it did the first time I was there. Mind you, the weather wasn't good and we spent the day skiing in blizzard conditions which I'm sure didn't help!

I have been skiing since I was a teenager and can hold my own but to be honest, it's not the shredding or even skiing that attracts me really... I love mountains and I love snow... put the 2 together and I am literally in heaven!

Now I'm a bit older, fatter, less fit... I still want to be there but find myself hankering after a couple of weeks snowmobiling rather than skiing! Would love to head off into the mountains on a 10 day winter hunt on snowmobiles... I know it can be done but looking at the prices for non residents we are talking tens of thousands of dollars... which just ain't gonna happen!

Even if I get out there next year with my boy I will be happy with a couple of days skiing and the rest of the time just 'being there!!!'

Edited by Vipa

I remember describing Vail as 'driving ino christmas!' and still remember it fondly that way... very pretty etc.. etc... Breck was much more real and had a 'gold rush' town feel to it. When I was there in 2006, we went on a day trip to Vail (only a couple of hours away) and it didn't have the same impact or charm it did the first time I was there. Mind you, the weather wasn't good and we spent the day skiing in blizzard conditions which I'm sure didn't help!

I have been skiing since I was a teenager and can hold my own but to be honest, it's not the shredding or even skiing that attracts me really... I love mountains and I love snow... put the 2 together and I am literally in heaven!

Now I'm a bit older, fatter, less fit... I still want to be there but find myself hankering after a couple of weeks snowmobiling rather than skiing! Would love to head off into the mountains on a 10 day winter hunt on snowmobiles... I know it can be done but looking at the prices for non residents we are talking tens of thousands of dollars... which just ain't gonna happen!

Even if I get out there next year with my boy I will be happy with a couple of days skiing and the rest of the time just 'being there!!!'

I first went to Vail on a day trip from Breck and to be honest wasn't impressed. You don't get the chance to explore the back bowls enough. Went there a few years later for two weeks and was absolutely blown away. Thigh deep champagne powder. If you didn't know how to ski in powder you soon learnt !!!

Fingers crossed I might be moving out that way next year (bit further West though)

I first went to Vail on a day trip from Breck and to be honest wasn't impressed. You don't get the chance to explore the back bowls enough. Went there a few years later for two weeks and was absolutely blown away. Thigh deep champagne powder. If you didn't know how to ski in powder you soon learnt !!!

Fingers crossed I might be moving out that way next year (bit further West though)

Now if that doesn't spell INVITE nothing does.... think I've just found a new best mate ;):lol:

Edited by Vipa

M.

So much for a double dip recession eh?

How many bankers do we have here?

• 3 weeks later...