Choke when practicing

bk

Was talking this morning at the very windy clay ground, whan a friend looked at my chokes and they were skeet and 1/4. It was a comp and I didnt do too badly.

I suggested that the next shoot we do we all use full & 3/4 and see how we get on. Thinking about it, if you want to improve then this must be the way to go...

Does anyone else practice with tight chokes??

I use 3/8 and 1/2 for everything but when I am shooting a straw baler with friends or family not worrying about my score I will screw 3/4 and full in. get some nice balls of dust and when I open up again it mentaly gives me that margin for error.

However chokes only give us inches and to be fair most of us miss by feet :oops:

Fuzrat

hmmm. 3/4 an full all the time.

If you miss with an open choke you are definitely going to miss with a tight choke. If yo hit with a tight choke then you'll hit the same thing with an open choke. The main thing is if you miss the clay the first time don't do the same thing again - as guess what :rolleyes: Not to try and be flippant, but if you keep missing the same clay it sort of says you aren't pointing in the right place. So pointing in the same place again .... :blush: Be brave and try something different or ask someone to watch what you 're doing.

When I first starting shooting, and practicing on sporting clays, I used skeet and a 1/4. Have now moved to 1/2 and 3/4 to try and up my game a bit :good:

If I use my 20g I use 1/4 and 1/2, for now :D

Exactly. If its just practise then to make you precise tight chokes may be a laugh.

However chokes only give us inches and to be fair most of us miss by feet :oops:

Fuzrat has a great point here.

Most sporting shooters usually need to work more on basic technique and concentration than worry about unconvincing breaks.

Maybe if you're being very inconsistent on a particular type of target you could put in tighter chokes to cut out some of the fringe pattern hits, but you can just read that from the way the clay breaks too.

For longer range targets you might find that having switched back to more open chokes for a competition causes you problems, as the tighter chokes have a better effective pattern at distance, and require you to be less accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont no why but when I knew I had 3/4 and full in a borrowed gun I slowed down took my time, and just followed the clay better, something in my head saying you've got to be on it. In the end got 35 out of 50, which is about my 6th time, the time before when he had open chokes it was like I could be sloppy and have room for error and only got 26. So I shoot quite alot better if I know it's tight. But to be honest I don't think they do alot of difference . It's more in your head.

Deffinately makes you need to be a bit more precise, and again can help you to read breaks better.

The shot string argument doesn't really add up as it is travelling so fast it will give no noticeable advantage if you are a bit in front.

Totally agree, I'm newish to proper sporting and am now using 3\8 and sticking with it as advised, the rest of them stay at home.

My expectation was for my scores to drop and they have stayed about the same (****) BUT I have either minced the clay or missed it, no chippy breaks that I used to get with SKT or 1\4.

Now looking forward to putting the hard work in with someone who can shoot a bit and not just flinging lead at clays :)

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see the point in using different chokes to 'train' with.

I thought the idea of practice was to get yourself ready for the 'main event'. Surely it would be counter-productive to train with equipment different to that which you would be using on the 'big day'? :hmm:

I doubt Mark Cavendish practices on a Rayleigh Chopper! <_<

I can't see the point in using different chokes to 'train' with.

I thought the idea of practice was to get yourself ready for the 'main event'. Surely it would be counter-productive to train with equipment different to that which you would be using on the 'big day'? :hmm:

I doubt Mark Cavendish practices on a Rayleigh Chopper! <_<

My thoughts too, you need to see the same sort of kills or puffs of smoke. I certainly wouldn't open up for practice as different sight pics can still give adequate breaks but lead to a bit of sloppiness all the same.