17.hmr

i was in my gun club over the weekend, one of the mate,s next to me was shooting his .17HMR when their was a allmighty bang, turned round to see his mag blown out of the gun, and in pieces, lucky no one hurt. turns out the same thing happened to another shooter 4 month,s earlier. both where using WINCHESTER ammo. both shooters said that the bolt felt quite stiff when closing prior too the big bang. i.st shooter took the spent case back to the shop, gunsmith said it looked like it had a double charge. so be careful if your using WINCHESTER .17HMR and somthing doesn't feel right.

Most likely that the previous round didn't ignite & left the bullet stuck in the chamber.

Myself & others have had this happen.

That is why the next round would be tight to load. When it happened to me I noticed it hadn't fired so didn't try loading again. However the case was full of powder when I inspected it, I don't think you could over charge an hmr case as they are pretty full anyway.

Edited by Pipmoff

• 2 months later...

i was in my gun club over the weekend, one of the mate,s next to me was shooting his .17HMR when their was a allmighty bang, turned round to see his mag blown out of the gun, and in pieces, lucky no one hurt. turns out the same thing happened to another shooter 4 month,s earlier. both where using WINCHESTER ammo. both shooters said that the bolt felt quite stiff when closing prior too the big bang. i.st shooter took the spent case back to the shop, gunsmith said it looked like it had a double charge. so be careful if your using WINCHESTER .17HMR and somthing doesn't feel right.

Most likely that the previous round didn't ignite & left the bullet stuck in the chamber.

Myself & others have had this happen.

That is why the next round would be tight to load. When it happened to me I noticed it hadn't fired so didn't try loading again. However the case was full of powder when I inspected it, I don't think you could over charge an hmr case as they are pretty full anyway.

My M8`s have had the same problem with WINCHESTER .17HMR 1 M8 had the big bang and blowen the mag to bits and damaged his stock as well. The following night I was out shooting with another M8 "Yes I have more than one" lol and when he tried to re-load a round the bolt would not close and upon checking the barrel there was a bullet head seated in the barrel which could have been the cause of my M8`s BIG BANG

So watch out every one who is using WINCHESTER .17HMR rounds. I now use .17HMR V Max Hornady just mainly cos I am getting better groups in my new CZ455 There is plenty of other ammo out there on the market check them all in your barrel and what ever groups best in yours use it "WINCHESTER in the BIN"

Someone had a thread going on here a while ago. After about five pages and no pictures, it was decided it was a load of bull.

If there's no a photo, it didn't happen ;)

How can someone say its a load of bull just cause there is no pic ?

Same thing happened to my mate, a bullet lodged in throat luckily as said above he couldn't close his bolt when re-loading so completely unloaded his rifle and then found the head lodged in throat..very lucky...this was hornady not winchester.

I suspect we will see more of this HMR ammo seems to be on a decline qualty wise as people become more budjet aware and raw materials rise. Sounds very like a bullet or section of brass left behind to me- or a misformed /damaged case - Double charge? highly unlikely i think the HMR runs on a case full or thereabouts?

We live in an age where cameras are in plentiful supply. Given the fact that a gun blowing up is quite a serious thing, you'd at least take a photo of the damage.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pics%20or%20it%20didn't%20happen

Yeh i understand that but just cause NO pics were with the original post does not mean we say its Bull...but as said would be interesting to see what damage they do do...ive had my 17hmr for about 5 yrs and so far touch wood ive never encountered any problems with ammo..unlike 2 mates one with split Rem case and other mate having a bullet lodged in barrel.

My Dad had a similar problem in his .17HMR rifle using 17gr Remington Accutip bullets.He shot the rifle then went to chamber another round when the bolt wouldn't completely close.I then took out the bolt and looking down the barrel(from breech to muzzle) noticed that the bullet was stuck in the barrel.This was probably due to a low charge of powder.

I only use .17gr Hornady V-Max bullets and they are very accurate and have had no problems whatsoever.

I had the same with federal premium about 3 yrs ago some of the cases were splitting . The one that got stock in the barrel sounded like it was a dry fire knowing it was a live round I had chamberd I checked the barrel to see it had been stuck.

"It is common knowledge in the trade that all four brands of .17 HMR ammunition are being produced by CCI in their Idaho factory. The load specifications and bullets used in the various brands vary, however, so it would be a mistake to assume that all four brands will shoot equally well in any given rifle."

"It is common knowledge in the trade that all four brands of .17 HMR ammunition are being produced by CCI in their Idaho factory. The load specifications and bullets used in the various brands vary, however, so it would be a mistake to assume that all four brands will shoot equally well in any given rifle."

Please enlighten me as to the 4 brands and the load specification and bullet variations of each??

And that paragraph is copyrighted to Chuck Hawks anyway!

Edited by Dekers

You have a PM with a link to another forum... The info on it might be of interest.

I think you will find the information on the link shows that just about all the ammo for the HMR is made by CCI, and is identical, in each of the bullet types available! :good: