aggressive cocker spaniel

fowler__88

hi i have a 18 months brown cocker, he is verry laid back and loving monst of the time until i come home and my kitchen has be wrecked!!! the problem is when i go to tell him off and give a quick smack on the bum (i dont mean beat the dog ) he will wine, growl,show his teeth and when i move he will change tone as if he is getting ready to go for me he had never fully gone for me. as i have a 14 month daughter in the house i need to try and sort this before it relly gets out of hand. i dont think it is the rage thing that people say that they get because he does not just unexpectedly go for you its only when you tell him off, all this sounds like he is a beaten dog but he get treated like one of the famly comes to bed with us stays in the house most of the day

any help getting round this would be a big help thanks

ash

No idea if it'll help or not but the dogs been ******* me off recently with barking at stupid times for no reason (have 2 dogs only one does it) grabbed it by the snout closing the mouth and holding it shut with one hand then grabbed it by the collar with the other one before yelling at it to shut up

Seems to have gotten the message as it's done it twice today barking for no reason and I just told it to shut up without shouting and it did and didn't bark again until after we got home, seems to work if you just show them who's boss

Small dog like yours isn't going to do much damage to you in the process of grabbing it, plus for the most part if you're fast enough it wont even know til its too late

Maybe the dog thinks he's boss? Need to be firm keep him off the bed or sofas and let him know who's in charge. Don't have to whack him though but be patient and consistent lay down and enforce some house rules. Ie no means no keep putting him off the bed till he realises it etc.

I'm no expert though could be cocker rage?

hi i have a 18 months brown cocker, he is verry laid back and loving monst of the time until i come home and my kitchen has be wrecked!!! the problem is when i go to tell him off and give a quick smack on the bum (i dont mean beat the dog ) he will wine, growl,show his teeth and when i move he will change tone as if he is getting ready to go for me he had never fully gone for me. as i have a 14 month daughter in the house i need to try and sort this before it relly gets out of hand. i dont think it is the rage thing that people say that they get because he does not just unexpectedly go for you its only when you tell him off, all this sounds like he is a beaten dog but he get treated like one of the famly comes to bed with us stays in the house most of the day

any help getting round this would be a big help thanks

ash

No good smacking him at any time never mind so long after the event.Need to stop the event happening in the first place.

Sounds to me the poor dog is bored out of his mind and needs reassurance and company.

Just my two pennorth.

No good smacking him at any time never mind so long after the event.Need to stop the event happening in the first place.

Sounds to me the poor dog is bored out of his mind and needs reassurance and company.

Just my two pennorth.

Agreed if you have to punish him it needs doing during the event not after it , how is the dog suppose to know what he is getting a belt for ? as far as he will be concerned he is getting it because you have just come home , can you not keep him outside in a run and just have him in while you are home ?

thanks for the replys the dog isnt spoilt never alowed to be on sofas beds and if there runing around say bed and they go get on there own bed we are stricked with them you have to be otherwise they **** all over you and the cant be board as they have toys as soon as they have done bad i will go them in the dog kennel outside

I've a 9 month old cocker dog who's as gentle as any dog can be until there's food around and then he gets grumpy and snarly at my other 2 dogs, it's not that they're ever hungry as they're well feed twice a day out of 2 bowls, he's the same if I'm feeden them bread - he'll eat's like hell so he can get as much as he can, I think it's a dominance thing with him but he'd never growl at me But when you've got such young kids you can't afford to take the chance with a dog like that as you'd never forgive yourself God forbid anything would happen ! you need to sort it fast for all concerned -- good luck :good:

With my (very limited) experience, I would suggest that you stop him sleeping with you and possibly get a crate, as that will not only stop him thinking he is equal to you but will keep him out of trouble when you are not there so avoiding the confrontation. He needs to be at the bottom of the pack and subordinate to everyone, even your child and having him sleep downstairs is a good start.

I would walk him early in the morning and give him a bone/kong etc to play with/gnaw when you are not there, then walk/train him again later as cockers need lots of exercise - not just physical but also mental exercise to keep them happy and non-destructive.

If he shows aggression to you I would stand up tall and shout NO, if he still wants to have a go at you grab the scruff of his neck and hold him down and shout NO. When he calms down give a quick praise and carry on.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

Defo cage at night noisy to start but worth it! Also a frien of mine puts the cage in the car and takes his dog in it to work let's he walk him at lunch and breaks. I would not feel happy leaving a youg cocker indoors all day ???

Edited by utectok

some very good advice th only think about grabing him is if he bites i will never trust that dog again so i will have to have him put down he does get a lot of exercuise because i am a farmer he does come with me a lot i w3ill put him out in the kennel after he becomes agressive for about an hour then hes back to him self lovly and cuddly dog again

some very good advice th only think about grabing him is if he bites i will never trust that dog again so i will have to have him put down he does get a lot of exercuise because i am a farmer he does come with me a lot i w3ill put him out in the kennel after he becomes agressive for about an hour then hes back to him self lovly and cuddly dog again

The trouble is though, if he sees you backing down when he's aggressive, in his mind he's the boss, not you. If you don't want to grab him then just persist with the NO and exclude or ignore him as they are desperate to be with the 'pack'.

Remember he's only 18 months so still partly showing puppy behavior and still finding his place in the pack, so you have to dominate him in every way (make him sit before you feed him, exclude him when you eat etc).

Could he be adopting the old adage "best form of defense is attack"? (Although he hasn't done so yet). Mine is 2 1/2 and has been exactly the same. IMO cockers are very different and you walk a fine line between them being "cocky" and totally the opposite end of the scale and insecure. I would say that he is unsure/insecure. I would disagree with the some of the above as I don't think they are a breed that accept a heavy hand. More a level of understanding. I have found with mine that you are far better to avoid the situation occuring that causes these conflicts than try and dominate your way out of it. For the same reasons, I wouldn't trust any dog near a small child, particularly a cocker. I love mine to bits, but they can be quirky. Change the lifestyle and you will be fine. Hope my experiences help.

sounds like your dog thinks he is the boss and YOU need to sort that out quickly(he needs to know your the alfa male in the pack so to speak) think what you need to try is when he is bad ie destroying your kitchen (for gods sake dont hit him even if it is on the bum)just change the tone of your voice to let him know he aint in the good books and stick him in the kennel or cage for a few hours straight away .so he knows he has over stepped the mark .or even try a spray bottle full of water on the jet setting and spray him in his face when he growel at you.

raising you hand will only make him worse

i have a cocker who chews kennels like other dogs chew bones the only one out them all that does it and if you touch him he yelps and growels (his way of telling me to **** *** am scared i suppose )all it takes now it to raise my voice and he knows he has done wrong it was just a case of getting his trust that i wouldnt knock lumps out of him (must add he was 1 year old when i got him and did not know what his previous owner was like with him )but what a lovely dog he is now so just keep at it buddy

am no expert but it worked for me

You have an 18 month old dog showing signs of aggression and it sounds like you are frightened of him.

You have a 14 month old daughter, and the dog has the run of the house.

You need someone NOW who knows what they are looking at to help you with this dog, I have an idea how I might like to handle it but without seeing the dog it is not possible to say for definite that it would be right. Get some professional help and in the meantime be damn sure the dog can never have access to your daughter.