High Winds&Torrential Rain

bullet boy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a tad breezy here last night. There's stuff thrown all over my garden, well there always is but it's not where I left it!

Today we had a good amount of sleet - settled on the roads up on the hills and was pretty chilly! In fact it's been lashing down for most of the day but I did really well to miss it!

I loaded the van with soil first thing and just as I got into the van it lashed down. Rained all the way to the tip and then stopped when I got there so I unloaded in the dry. Then I got some gravel and drove all the way back to the job in the rain, it stopped while I shovelled that off and then chucked it down again as I was heading home! So I have an outdoor job, did a full day and didn't get wet! :good::D

Calmish in Cheshire too.

We've had slates blown off (we are exposed) in 70 mph winds but this is kids play at the moment (6.30pm), I'd guess at 20-30 mph with slightly higher gusts - maybe 45mph. Horribly cold and a bit of rain but large accumulations of snow forecast. Be prepared warning for us and the whole world it seems.

about 8.30 this morning hale stones came down that hard that the roads down are way were covered and it instantly turned to ice...Had a call from the Mrs to pick her up after dropping the kids to school due to the hale stones coming down so hard.

I must of spent the next 40 mins driving around saving young mothers in the need of rescueing :lol::lol: I mean when a blonde is in distress you just have to assist :D:lol::lol::lol:

The last couple of years we have been snowed in and I have had to hike to the shop. It's only five miles, but with a 50L backpack, bum bag AND dragging a sledge makes it fun. The real fun part is the last couple of hundred yards, which is the steepest bit. Either I stick to the lane and deal with the ice (overflow from the field run-off/spring), or plow through the drifts in the fields.

I made the run a couple of times last year and decided to cheer myself up with a swig or five from the Crabbies mulled ginger wine bottle. I was pleasantly weed by the time I got home :blink:

The last couple of years we have been snowed in and I have had to hike to the shop. It's only five miles, but with a 50L backpack, bum bag AND dragging a sledge makes it fun. The real fun part is the last couple of hundred yards, which is the steepest bit. Either I stick to the lane and deal with the ice (overflow from the field run-off/spring), or plow through the drifts in the fields.

I made the run a couple of times last year and decided to cheer myself up with a swig or five from the Crabbies mulled ginger wine bottle. I was pleasantly weed by the time I got home :blink:

A bum bag??? how much shopping can you carry in it?

A bum bag??? how much shopping can you carry in it?

Many years ago, I jiggered my spine and couldn't take a proper backpack and found that a bumbag was OK. It holds 17 liters in the main compartment and has two bottle holders on the ends (which cam in handy for the ginger wine bottles :blush:

It also has external straps which mean I could strap my jacket to it when I got all sweaty.