Make sure it fits......

timps

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit in the "make sure it fits camp" :yes: but do agree with all that has been said.

When buying a gun I would always advise that the purchaser goes with some one else, preferably someone that shoots and knows a little about shooting (a Coach?).

Not every new shooter knows about eye dominance and gun mount, yes and straight out of the box guns are designed to "fit all". I would also state that you should not get a gun fitted until you have used it for few months, get used to the mount and feel of the gun being able to explain your problem targets and where you are missing them if you can. A little tweek may make all the difference.

But as Thunderbird has stated, this is a really good thread, no one getting out of their prams becuase it is useful and informative, well done Timps for starting it. :good:

I went to see a few "coaches" a while back.

The first time, I was given some dimensions by a local well known "eggspurt" coach with a "try gun" (?) - and fair play to the gunsmith who I gave the dims too - he refused to ruin my gun. The gunsmiths words were something like "I can do it, but your gun will look look a TV aerial and you will never be able to sell it if you want to".

I then went to seek a second opinion and that coach said basically that most guns fit most people. He told me to forget all this gun alteration sheeite and he helped me adjust my gun mount and made me think about my shooting technique more. At that point I took a decision that I wasn't going to shoot competitively, just socially, this in itself helped my shooting - I am now relaxed however bad I shoot!

I now shoot with a neutral cast Blaser F3. (the previous owner was a left hander) I did think about having some proper right handed cast on it - but I know that it shoots fine when I concentrate, point it in the right place and stop knobbing about.

Edited by ME

I used to have a Beretta 303 auto when I started shooting and stuck loads of 25s in on the skeet with it. I only stopped using it in favour of an O/U due to it spitting shells out everywhere. It turned out that it was in fact a left hander and therefore completely the wrong shape for a right hander...allegedly. :hmm:

I used to have a Beretta 303 auto when I started shooting and stuck loads of 25s in on the skeet with it. I only stopped using it in favour of an O/U due to it spitting shells out everywhere. It turned out that it was in fact a left hander and therefore completely the wrong shape for a right hander...allegedly. :hmm:

Yes, it's all cock. I can just about guarantee I'd get more or less the same score, no matter who's gun I borrowed.

The only exceptions would be guns that were fitted for freaks of nature :P

I think if you're a particularly weird shape, like knuckles dragging on the ground or something, then you might need your gun fiddled with, otherwise leave the ****** alone :sly:

Yes, it's all cock. I can just about guarantee I'd get more or less the same score, no matter who's gun I borrowed.

The only exceptions would be guns that were fitted for freaks of nature :P

I think if you're a particularly weird shape, like knuckles dragging on the ground or something, then you might need your gun fiddled with, otherwise leave the ****** alone :sly:

But in saying that. My current gun is waaaay to long and is getting trimmed in the new year. Where's my B&D jigsaw... :hmm:

Yes you Borrowed my DT10 that day at MCSC expecting to shoot as well as I do with it only to put in the exact same score you usually do with your Beretta 682 old piece of rope.

Mind you on the same day I put in my normal excellent score with my old Browning XS I had not shot in over 2 years :lol:

My first gun was my dad’s old browning so it was a like it & lump it deal, my second was an adjustable Browning Ultra XS which was adjusted and fitted at the shop I bought it from by a so called expert who does stock alterations. The gun smacked me in the face and hurt to shoot, this was either my bad novice mount or bad stock set up, I changed both and went on to get some good scores with the gun. However this episode did make me nervous of so called experts making permanent alterations to my gun.

I have set up my gun to help me, because of my build I need a high comb to get my cheek bone on it. This helps me mount more consistently, does it get me any more targets, nope, I could still hit the same targets with or without this set up but I guess it stops me losing the odd one due to a sloppy mount were my master eye would be obscured. But even with this set up I still lift my head of the stock or not shoulder it properly on the 2nd shot so it doesn’t cure my inbuilt sloppiness totally.

Edited by timps

Yes you Borrowed my DT10 that day at MCSC expecting to shoot as well as I do with it only to put in the exact same score you usually do with your Beretta 682 old piece of rope.

Mind you on the same day I put in my normal excellent score with my old Browning XS I had not shot in over 2 years :lol:

You have an extraordinarily vivid imagination..... :P:sly:<_<

Good thread Timps :good:

IMHO I prefer to have the option of an adjustable comb and more recently a Jones adjuster so that i can tweak the set up as required. I see a lot of people shoot in hunched up, presumably uncomfortable, positions where they have to force their cheek onto the comb to "see" what they think that they should see, and that's not for me - i'll take comfort and a relaxed posture any day :yes:

I honestly couldn't tell you what amount of rib i see when shooting, as i'm looking at the big flying disc instead ;)

Richard faulds' stock position is so relaxed it's nearer his chin than cheek, same for Americas David radulovich another top shooter. On the other hand digweed has his cheek really planted on the stock, all of these guys can shoot so it's what feels right for you in my opinion.

Is that right clever-clogs? In that case if it's 'all cock' why don't you buy the cheapest possible gun and use that rather than your 682Gold E?

And further, why do you regularly jump down the throats of people who tell the 'I shot better with my Hatsan than the bloke with the DT10' story?

If, as you appear to be claiming, using the correct equipment doesn't in fact matter and you personally would score the same with a fence post or a Purdey, why have you cultivated such a reputation for claiming the exact opposite? Or, was it all leading up to this stunning revelation?

I ask merely for information ;)

Is that right clever-clogs? In that case if it's 'all cock' why don't you buy the cheapest possible gun and use that rather than your 682Gold E?

And further, why do you regularly jump down the throats of people who tell the 'I shot better with my Hatsan than the bloke with the DT10' story?

If, as you appear to be claiming, using the correct equipment doesn't in fact matter and you personally would score the same with a fence post or a Purdey, why have you cultivated such a reputation for claiming the exact opposite? Or, was it all leading up to this stunning revelation?

I could be wrong but I think this thread refers to gun fit rather than gun cost? I think some people have a pop at Hatsans because they are made of tinfoil and plastic rather than because they won't fit. :hmm:

Richard faulds' stock position is so relaxed it's nearer his chin than cheek, same for Americas David radulovich another top shooter. On the other hand digweed has his cheek really planted on the stock, all of these guys can shoot so it's what feels right for you in my opinion.

It’s a fair point, is fit just preference rather than necessity.

Do you change your mount to take into consideration how the gun fits you or do you change the gun fit to take into consideration your mount.

A dominant eye going too low behind the receiver can be corrected by changing the mount or raising the comb height, your choice I guess.

I bury my cheek on the stock so a high comb is needed for me to do that, but when shooting my auto (low comb) I just adjust my mount and I still hit. I know which way I prefer shooting but it is preference rather than necessity for me, when I first started I thought it was a necessity.

There are some very good and interesting post on this topic so thanks, I know what I want from a gun but was generally interested in other people’s opinions.

I hope new shooters can read through and decide for themselves rather than the just ‘make sure it fits’ no substance reply.

My own view is it’s a preference rather than a necessity but if you are happier and more confident with the gun then it’s going to help.

:good:

Edited by timps

I've got a Baikal :sly:

I've also got a 682, because I like it.

I jump down the throats of the bull ****ters who post "I got higher scores than everyone with my fencepost" because it's bull ****.

And last but not least, I haven't cultivated a reputation for claiming the opposite. :D

Edited by Chard

I've got a Baikal :sly:

I've also got a 682, because I like it.

I jump down the throats of the bull ****ters who post "I got higher scores than everyone with my fencepost" because it's bull ****.

And last but not least, I haven't cultivated a reputation for claiming the opposite. :D

Thanks for clearing that up as I was feeling a bit tearful because of my bleeding knuckles.

Fit is only one part of the jigsaw

I had my gun fitted about 20 years ago and the stock altered according the recommended dimensions.

I thought I would get it checked a couple of years back.

To be honest I was sort of hoping it was a bit out, in the event (checked by a different instructor) it was absolutely spot on.

In some ways that is nice to know, in other ways it is slightly depressing as that is one less thing to blame :(

As long as its comfortable to mount, swing and hold I adjust around the gun... But I guess as I don't shoot many competitive clay days that reduces the requirement to have a perfect fit...

I think a rifles fit is more important as in eye relief, how the fore end feels - a shot gun is more of a "fit around whatever I happen to be shooting"

Regards,

Gixer