Greenfields, Canterbury

CZ550Kevlar

v unhelpful staff there normally. The younger guy there, maybe early 30's, v snobby ad patronising. Bit last time i bought a slab there as i said i'd go elsewhere at there prices, and he dropped almost a tenner off the price on the spot...

spot on very snobby & patronising !!! i do like the old boy "peter" he is old school & helpfull, but as been said in other post about discount, still very dear even if you get 10% or 20% off.

Hi

Shame your going up on the 22nd ! Im up there on the 23rd and an going up there today to shoot the 100 bird comp.

As for what Boxlock is saying i found that being a member up there helps with cost as you get members price on shooting, shells and between 10-20% off on most things in the shop

seeing Father Christmas with my daughter at Leeds Castle on the Friday which is typical.

i think it's dear,£27 for 80 birds last time on a sunday,most i normally pay at challoch is £18 for 70,what does annoy me at Greenfields on a thurs it's £15 for a 100 bird.i know they wanna encourage mid week shooting but there weekend price is too expensive.

i had a lesson there and it was very helpfull.

I don't think there are snobbish,just old school.

Always polite but at weekend prices they should be

Edited by retromlc

Shot there today, like most Sundays and what you need to bear in mind is the quality of the targets, the impressive mud free parking, 2 flush toilets and clean urinals, hot water to wash your hands, the wooden log cabin, the bar, the comfortable restaurant standard canteen, the on-site well stocked shop selling air gun, shotgun, rifle, scopes, clothing and cartridges, the repairs facilities etc, etc. Does Challock have any of those things? They have never competed on price, membership saves 10% on many items and well worth it for shoot entries. It cost me £28 today for the 100 bird competition which pays out in 4 classes down to forth, that's 16 prizes and re-entries are reasonable. The £14 Thursday 100 birders are no more by the way.

The only remotely comparable place in Kent is Mid Kent and from memory they are definitely no cheaper. Dartford is OK too if you don't mind traipsing past burning cars and kids firing catapults at your car as you drive by :lol::no: .

The reality is that if you patronise a place, they'll look after you, I wouldn't expect slashed prices from places I don't visit often, it's no different with them.

Shot there today, like most Sundays and what you need to bear in mind is the quality of the targets, the impressive mud free parking, 2 flush toilets and clean urinals, hot water to wash your hands, the wooden log cabin, the bar, the comfortable restaurant standard canteen, the on-site well stocked shop selling air gun, shotgun, rifle, scopes, clothing and cartridges, the repairs facilities etc, etc. Does Challock have any of those things? They have never competed on price, membership saves 10% on many items and well worth it for shoot entries. It cost me £28 today for the 100 bird competition which pays out in 4 classes down to forth, that's 16 prizes and re-entries are reasonable. The £14 Thursday 100 birders are no more by the way.

The only remotely comparable place in Kent is Mid Kent and from memory they are definitely no cheaper. Dartford is OK too if you don't mind traipsing past burning cars and kids firing catapults at your car as you drive by :lol::no: .

The reality is that if you patronise a place, they'll look after you, I wouldn't expect slashed prices from places I don't visit often, it's no different with them.

you're right,it offers excellent facilities,but challoch has excellent trap varity and changes every visit so it's not repetative.I've been to Greenfields several times and the traps are good and i like it there,but most of the time we don't use all of the above so it's just pricey to shot

Edited by retromlc

yep i agree, nice clean & well stocked shop.but as i dont shoot clays i cant comment on the prices of shooting. what i dont like is the prices & attitude of the counter staff, £10.50 for a crow decoy, £16.99 for a acme crow call even with 10% it"s still a rippoff. as for repairs, when you take a gun in for repair & your told it"s going to cost £130 to fix but the gun aint worth spending that sort of money on,it"s better off spending on a new gun. so you explain the gun fit"s well & you shoot well with the gun, but still get told it aint worth it, it seems they just want to sell a new gun. & when you go in for some catridges that you"v allways used & they know what you use, but you dont say the name of the cartridge correctly you get a arragent *** that takes the pee & just wants to try & make you look stuppid in front of others. that sort of service i dont care for :angry: . [ call me picky if you want ] how much more custom would they get if the counter staff was a little more helpfull :hmm: . i realy wish it wasnt like that as its my local gun shop & i allways like to use my local suppliers. [but hay thats just my point of veiw]. all the best. boxlock

the main thing for me is the rude arrogant staff. Yes one of the olcer guys is reasonably nice and polite, even if your not in barbour tweed, silver spoon in mouth driving the range rover daddy bought you, but the rest of it is just too much to put up with. I use them occasionally out of convenience, but i'd rather shoot martin gorse, and must try challock. I work for my money, so the mid week shooting doesn't matter...

I don't understand all this twittering about prices in the shop. :rolleyes:

It's a shooting ground, you go there to shoot, and those prices aren't far out for a decent ground. Take your own cartridges and don't buy "bits" there.

If I go to a shooting ground, the only "bit" I buy is a coffee :sly:

And as for rudeness, I've got that sewn up. If somebody wants to be rude to me, they need to prepare for a master class :lol:

Edited by Chard

When i lived in that neck of the woods all be it many years ago i always found the staff polite and helpful, i had my first lessons there with i can`t remember their names, one was Sam and the other was an older guy and both were very helpful and courteous.

I have a spare day and a thousand odd plastic wad carts to use up and havn`t been clay shooting for a while so i havn`t got much to lose popping down.

The point is this is not a mere clay shoot, they have to have full time staff and with 2 practice stands and exemption certificate, insurance would cost much much more than your 28 times per year straw baler.

I have known the SAME staff for literally more years than I can remember, meaning Tim must be a good chap to work for and he obviously cares about their jobs, even the part timers are regular as clock work. Peter King was seriously ill for many years yet instead of just laying him off and replacing him, he eventually got back to work. They have had the same groundsman for ever too. One plus point is you never choke from burning cartridge piles when you visit ;) .

They never throw 8 to 10 clays off the same trap on a stand, something that is sadly a regular feature of many other Kent shoots I could name, those extra traps cost money. The trappers themselves are top notch and don't miss a trick as well as being extremely affable. I also have to say I am at a loss to explain the supposed arrogance. I bought my first gun there, a 2nd hand Laurona for £315, Peter wouldn't give me a discount though :lol: , he said it'd have to wait till someone with the right money turned up. In truth the gun was priced right and we both knew it.

I have bought my cartridges there for a long time now even though they are a few quid cheaper elsewhere (not if you take into account the diesel incidentally), but when I buy guns on-line they often do the paperwork for free, they sent a Teknys back to Beretta for me to get the action replated and never charged a penny even for postage. You need to harness a relationship as with most things I feel.

Edited by Hamster

And as for rudeness, I've got that sewn up. If somebody wants to be rude to me, they need to prepare for a master class :lol:

:lol:

When they had the shop next to the cinema I must admit that they didn't often make much effort to make me feel comfortable in the shop. I may have been in my teens and therefor not seen as a good customer but it meant that a few years later when I was flush I never bought anything there.

I find the staff at the ground are a decent bunch.

Edited by ack-ack

I find greenfields to be a very nice place to shoot , I've had two lessons with Sam and enjoyed them.

I also bought my shotgun from them and Peter was very kind to sort me out ! I must admit the cartridges are not cheep that's why I buy them else where !!! Shop around !! The lay out it great too ! I payed £28 to shoot 100 birds at willow farm yesterday and I'm not sure if I will be going back as a bit naff compaired to greenfields.

I must also admit the other shooters do seem to look down on me turning up in my T reg polo but it's their problem not mine ! I think I will be shooting there a next weekend.