Cabinet key?

Cake444

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My FEO advised me that I was not allowed to hide the cabinet key in my house and that the key had to be on my person at all times or be in a seperate safe. As several people have said above I purchased a small digital safe.

ATB

Your FEO is telling you lies or making up his own little rules.

Looks like needlessly broadcasting information to me. For example, there isnt much point having a police approved cabinet and then telling everyone the keys for it are in a cheap electronic safe on top of it?

As these digital safes don't seem to specify any kind of approved security level, I wonder if storing keys in one would be seen in a better or worse light than hiding them, should the worst happen.

Edited by otherwayup

LOL all this nonesense about keys... my missus used to work for ladbrokes and had shop keys, safe keys etc all the time often with notes on them as to what they did (she was a relief manager) they werent kept in safe..... Glad she doesnt do it know mind.

We may know what cabinet keys look like but they are just keys publicly broadcasting your address, contents of your cabinet (this is the bit i think is stupid) then where you keep you (on your person/in a safe etc) and where cabinet is may be foolish. If you looked long enough in most houses with a cabinet you would find either the override key to cheapo safe with keys in it or the spares.

I do think it would be better if you tell another SGC/FAC holder where your spares were or give them the spares in the event of you being killed, hospitalised or incapacitated for any period of time.

On a side note and totally hypothetical what happens if:

You have a bust up with your partner they kick you out and change the locks? Doesnt matter if you have keys on you or not.....

Then how do you get them back?

One small point to bear in mind, these cheap electronic safes seem wonderful. That is, until I got shown YouTube videos showing people breaking into them in seconds. A tap in the right place from a hammer and they just pop open. I recall even seeing it done with a large potato.

For this reason, I stopped keeping anything of actual value in mine, such as cabinet keys and ammunition. I'm sure the average house thief doesn't struggle when confronted with one.

One small point to bear in mind, these cheap electronic safes seem wonderful. That is, until I got shown YouTube videos showing people breaking into them in seconds. A tap in the right place from a hammer and they just pop open. I recall even seeing it done with a large potato.

For this reason, I stopped keeping anything of actual value in mine, such as cabinet keys and ammunition. I'm sure the average house thief doesn't struggle when confronted with one.

Just had a look on youtube, they seem **** easy to break in to! :good:

Thats why location is importent so that you can't get the space to get tools / potato in and have the room to get the impertus to break the safe with.

A certain amount of space is required to open the door! I would think anyone keeping section 1 ammo in a safe that doesn't meet the BS number for cabinets could be in hot water should something happen even if FEO approves it it's the cert holders responsibility to meet the terms of the law.

£1k cash safes are generally the min spec and somewhat different to the £20 cheapies

A certain amount of space is required to open the door! I would think anyone keeping section 1 ammo in a safe that doesn't meet the BS number for cabinets could be in hot water should something happen even if FEO approves it it's the cert holders responsibility to meet the terms of the law.

£1k cash safes are generally the min spec and somewhat different to the £20 cheapies

I doubt it. The law doesn't require a BS cabinet, even for your guns never mind ammo. The law just requires you to keep them secure without defining what that means. There is home office guidance which does suggest BS for guns, but its guidance not law. If the FEO has OKd it I can't see how you'd be in hot water?

Edited by Blunderbuss

I cut mine into little pieces everytime i dont need them, hide them on the four corners of the globe and then if i need them i simply weld them back together or use no more nails, i used to have a cooking cutter in the shape of my keys that way if i needed them id simply make a cookie and use that. Their are many different methods but i find choc-chip doesnt work that good. Too many lumps.

I hate to stir the pot but being in the building trade and on occasion the demolition trade I honestly believe no matter where a safe is fitted I could remove it in a couple of minutes.

If that's what they are after you don't stand a chance.

Thankfully very few thieves want them due to all the other complications involved along with the fact we all make it as hard as possible for them.

Keys are easy to hide if you follow the rule of don't put them in or on anything and don't put anything on top of them.