Closed season 4 Woodies ?

smokeyoakey

Hi all

Had a call from a friend yesterday afternoon, saying he’s got a load of venison on the barB, so come on over. The only problem was I was out shooting, and the woodies were pouring in. Unfortunately the missus also knew about the invite, and not being one to pass up a party, ordered me home pronto (how unreasonable is that?) :lol:

To cut a long story short, I stayed out for another hour or so, and when we eventually reached my mate’s he asked what took us so long? I explained about the woodie situation, and he replied that you shouldn't be shooting them at this time of the year as they’re rearing their young, and argued for a closed season from April to October.

Admittedly my mate has a different perspective on this, as he’s a pheasant/deer stalker rather than a pigeon man. On the other hand we shot 500+ last month, so it did make me think a bit – altho there hardly seems to be a shortage of woodies about.

In the past I’ve sort of adhered to this and not been out so much during the summer, only to find that farmers have assumed I’m no longer interested and let other people have the shooting – irresponsible types who’ve chopped gaps in the hedges, left rubbish + empties everywhere, and spoilt it for everybody. :lol: Basically, by trying to do the right thing I’ve lost out on some good sport, and it’s jeopardised good relations with the farmers, something which takes years to build up. What does everyone else think about this – should there be a closed season or not?

For me, I can’t imagine giving up summer blatting anytime soon. Besides, what else am I supposed to do at the weekends – the neighbours moan if I mow the lawn too early and the missus is a bit grumpy in the morning so that rules anything else out! :lol:

if you love your shooting go out and shoot pigeons,i would not stop shooting pigeons because my friends did not think it was right,i would not let other shooters on my shooting rights,i allways keep an eye on all my 18 farms the farmers dont call me because i know whats going on all the time.

This is a topic which has been aired before numerous times and always causes a distinct difference of opinion Smokey.

For my part I generally dont shoot after the rape has hit about 1/2 growth, very rarely on drillings, as these days crop damage to new drillings is virtually zero, occassionally on stubble, and mostly, during the months of November December January and February.

I tend to police my own close season which coincides with when the birds are generally breeding.

Generally first year breeding birds will rear in the later summer months to coincide with the maximum natural and man made harvest. Older birds will breed several broods from March through to September and very occassionally in winter months too.

I dont think having a close season will result in a significant change in the birds population unless we have had a particularly severe winter when we will see breeding numbers down due to the high mortality rate of first season young. The older birds can look after them selves a little better. ( another reason not to shoot young fledglings!!)

I dont shoot when the birds are breeding for moral reasons, being a ornithologist it tends to stick in my craw a little! If I feel I need to blast the hell out of something just for the pleasure Ill have a splat at the clays.

Do what you feel is right within the confines of the general licence.

FM.

This is a topic which has been aired before numerous times and always causes a distinct difference of opinion Smokey.

For my part I generally dont shoot after the rape has hit about 1/2 growth, very rarely on drillings, as these days crop damage to new drillings is virtually zero, occassionally on stubble, and mostly, during the months of November December January and February.

I tend to police my own close season which coincides with when the birds are generally breeding.

Generally first year breeding birds will rear in the later summer months to coincide with the maximum natural and man made harvest. Older birds will breed several broods from March through to September and very occassionally in winter months too.

I dont think having a close season will result in a significant change in the birds population unless we have had a particularly severe winter when we will see breeding numbers down due to the high mortality rate of first season young. The older birds can look after them selves a little better. ( another reason not to shoot young fledglings!!)

I dont shoot when the birds are breeding for moral reasons, being a ornithologist it tends to stick in my craw a little! If I feel I need to blast the hell out of something just for the pleasure Ill have a splat at the clays.

FM.

A very good post! :lol:

Well done FM.

FM.

A debate that will run and run BUT remember permission to shoot Woody is only given under the general licence because he's seen as THE premier agricultural pest. That permission can be withdrawn by DEFRA at any time (very nearly was last year) and if we pigeon shooters are only seen to shoot Woody for sport then we run the risk of at best a closed season and at worst no (shooting) season at all.

Farmers in general do not have any sensitivity towards Woody and are (IME) quite happy to see them slaughtered in numbers all year round, the more the better. Yet in spite of this Woody remains one of our most populous birds, increasing in numbers year on year. Shooting does appear, and studies seem to bear this out, the best way (almost the only effective way) of controlling them and yet their numbers continue to grow. We should not be complacent and think that such a situation will always be the case but all the time it is then what we do shouldn't impact on Woody over much. Probably just makes them all the more wary which is why large bags are so difficult to come by if posts on here are any indication.

I personally do have pangs of guilt about shooting them during the breeding season (only as some of you who know me will testify guilt isn't something I lose too much sleep over :good: ) I'm in touch with farmers all the time who want Woody out of the way and one has to be realistic about things so...

Bye the bye I shot the first young bird of the year last week, looked about 2 months old or thereabouts so I guess hatched around late March early April. I've also seen birds breeding in October/November so Woodys getting it on for a good 9 months of the year and not likely to be added to the endangered species list just yet.

I certainly shoot woodies all year round, and the fact that they are the most populous bird in the UK, (BTO survey) shows that, with every man and his mate out shooting them, there are still plenty about.

I make only one concession. If I identify young birds over the deeks I leave 'em alone. That's my conscience salved!!

i dont personally beleive in having a closed season for woodies after all they are an agricultural pest however i dont seem to shoot many woodies from april til bout july so gives em a rest for couple of months at least. just think what the numbers would do if there was a closed season fom march till sept !!! :good:

cheers BS

Definitely not. This is a serious agricultural pest that has a food source all year around due to rape becomming popular with farmers.

It is for the conscience of the individual shooter and the pressure, if any, put upon him by the farmer.

LB

I would vote no, because I only shoot woodies/pests/vermin when asked by the farmers whose land I shoot on. I do not just wander round unless asked to keep on shooting to keep the numbers down. If you read the statistics on crop damage done by pigeons published by defra I do not think a closed season will be imminent. Unless of course Ms Ballard and friends get their way...........................

Ft

I've just come back, after seeing a flock of at least 100, feeding on lupins, at 5pm!! Intend setting up pm tomorrow. I wouldn't have seen them, but I forgot my stalking sticks and went back to get them. They were propped up against the gate, where I'd left them. Bit of a nuisance having to go back out again but hopefully I'll get a few pigeons tomorrow.