What gun for Wildfowling

silver pigeon 3

I have just returned from a spur of the moment trip to my local Marsh, and first gun out of the cabinet was the old spanish SxS, and as the plan was to decoy a couple of splashes i thought that will do fine and i was going to be using TMX in 5's. I normally take the Hatsan semi out on the marsh as it is a good workhorse.

Anyway to cut a long story short there was a good flight of teal right on dark and the ols SxS is so easy to mount and get on the birds, especially when you are snap shooting in the near dark! I managed a nice brace for 3 shots, but honestly think if i had the Semi i would of been lucky to get a shot off in time.

So the question is, in the off season i was planning on getting rid of the Hatsan and getting either a Extrema/Maxus or an SX3, but i am now wondering if i should go for a SxS for fowling, and if i do decide this what is out there that is HP Steel proofed has a minimum 3" camber but even better 3.5" and still fits in the £900 - £1500 bracket.

Your words of wisdom are very much welcomed :good:

Edited by silver pigeon 3

Extrema 2 :good: :good: :good: never failed to cycle (except hull fibre 21g :blush: ) shot the fastest of Teal with it :good: Mines is 26" barels but I would probably have went for 24" Shot most Geese & Ducke with 1/4 choke :yes: got 1/2 in now but think I will change it back :yes:

I think it's a personal preference :yes: my O/U's are 28" & the Extrema with the 26" barrel is slightly longer. The kick-off is great, recoil doesn't bother me but when I have been shooting the semi for a while & go back to O/U I really notice it & do a couple of rounds of clays with 24g's :lol:

I've never come across a 3 1/2' sxs that's proofed to 1370bar (bar the Webley's)? Have you thought about a pump? I was never interested in a pump until I tried a friends benelli. Shortly after I bought a 3 1/2' Supernova in Max4 camo and it has been my second favourite gun since!! Never ever had a reliability problem, cycles plenty fast enough and doesn't spit shells particularly far...

If you did go for a pump, remember the length will be much longer than an o/u and longer still than an auto. I use a 26' barrel and the gun is still longer than my 28' beretta a3202.

Edited by Wildfowler12

It took me 2 outings to get used to it (kept forgetting to pump it), but I have no trouble with it now. I can use the pump on the marsh on Friday, O/U on pheasants on Saturday and semi on the clays on Sunday. And I never forget to pump or knock the safety off etc. It just takes a couple of shots to get used to.

Edited by Wildfowler12

I've never come across a 3 1/2' sxs that's proofed to 1370bar? Have you thought about a pump? I was never interested in a pump until I tried a friends benelli. Shortly after I bought a 3 1/2' Supernova in Max4 camo and it has been my second favourite gun since!! Never ever had a reliability problem, cycles plenty fast enough and doesn't spit shells particularly far...

If you did go for a pump, remember the length will be much longer than an o/u and longer still than an auto. I use a 26' barrel and the gun is still longer than my 28' beretta a3202.

They do exist, my mate shoots with one a multi choke aswell. I like s/sides but i think the OP should try a better balaced auto before you make the jump. Remember the saying though "beware of the man with one gun as he probebly knows how to use it"

there is a zabala 3 1\2" side by side on guntrader for £350. it says in the info that if you pull the back trigger first it will put off both barrels for maximum effect :o .i was out shooting geese with a friend who has this same gun and the pulled the back trigger first by mistake, talk about maximum effect, two 3 1\2" 2 1\4oz lead shells put him on his back and the trigger guard dug a piece out of his finger :oops: . the next move he made was to put the gun to a gunsmith and have it sorted so it couldnt happen again :good:

there is a zabala 3 1\2" side by side on guntrader for £350. it says in the info that if you pull the back trigger first it will put off both barrels for maximum effect :o .i was out shooting geese with a friend who has this same gun and the pulled the back trigger first by mistake, talk about maximum effect, two 3 1\2" 2 1\4oz lead shells put him on his back and the trigger guard dug a piece out of his finger :oops: . the next move he made was to put the gun to a gunsmith and have it sorted so it couldnt happen again :good:

Yeah maximum effect when you tell someone else thats how its done :lol: 4 1/2 oz of lead through a sub 10lb gun :o

Guest cookoff013

i would say get a pump, nova or mossberg. then just practice,

i can shoot pump quite fast and hit targets.... plus, it will fire and eject anything. no feed problems, jams,gas port to jam up, easily made safe..

i like the fact it has a feed block and easily unloaded.

Benelli SBE2. One of the finest fowling gun ever made, apart from the Benelli Super Nova pump which IS the finest.

Although as Chrispti so rightly says, the Beretta Xtrema 2 is the most reliable, softest felt recoil and least cartridge fussy auto available.

It`s SO good that Beretta STOPPED MAKING IT!

Buy the best,buy a Benelli.Both of the above models are still in production and likely to be for the forseeable future.