SemiAuto for a leftie

DaveyTed

Thinking about buying a semi and wondering how lefties get on with right handed guns as there is little choice in left handed. I know some have now got cast adjusting shims but I would appreciate your experience of discharging cases crossing the face. There is a lot more choice in right handed but is it the way to go.

Thanks

There was a lad shooting a left handed Webley and Scott semi at Coniston on Monday and he was happy with it. Remingtons imported some years ago but I'm sure they were skeet guns. Benelli do a version.

I find it scary to watch a leftie using an right handed semi without eye proection to stop the muck coming out, but Richard Faulds shot extremely well with one.

Hi DT,

I have always shot a right handed semi, even though I'm a lefty.

I have just bought a new type Hatsan with the extended chokes, put about 300 cartridges through it, no problems at all.

Never had any problems with spent shells, I do wear glasses though, never burnt my arm in the summer months or any negative views tbh.

Try and borrow one at your local clay ground, I was sick of trying to find a decent left handed one within my price range. Benelli ones do turn up now and again for about 500-700 for a good 'un.

I tried a Hatsan (r/h) at my clay ground, no problems at all, hence I now own one for £399 and three years warrenty :D

You see many lefty's shooting with right handed semi's nowadays, but it's a preference. I've seen many left handers shoot better with a right handed semi than a left.

You'd have to try a right handed semi first to see how you get on with it, and if you like it or not :good:

When i first bought my semi, my dad used it straight away on the clays and as he's left handed and the gun was right handed he did'nt like the fact of the cartridges crossing his face when ejecting and the odd spit of flame and soot, but to be honest he shot very well with the gun and tbh better than what he does with his own O/U, but we dont shoot much clays nowadays

Thinking about buying a semi and wondering how lefties get on with right handed guns as there is little choice in left handed. I know some have now got cast adjusting shims but I would appreciate your experience of discharging cases crossing the face. There is a lot more choice in right handed but is it the way to go.

Thanks

I am a left handed shot and thought much the same as you. I went to a browning demo day at barby sporting in rugby and told the rep i was looking for a left handed semi. He gave me a box of carts and a browning maxus saying there would be no problem. I was dubios as i had been in the forces and had always has to fire SA80 and SLR's right handed due to getting face fulls of gas and hot empty cart. I fired the whole box left handed and never saw 1 cart. The gas port on the browning is in the middle of the fore stock and expels the gasses upwards so there is no problem with debris from the cart in your face.

I bought it and have never looked back. I can not vouch for other semis as I have never tried them but the maxus does the job with no problems.

Hope this helps...