punt gun

yds

• 2 months later...

What a bit of kit! seem to remember Jack Hargraves & Colin Willcox( ithink) from shooting times also used to do the"Survival" t.v prog, making a punt gun.They had the firing mech'&had various tube to try out for proofing will look on you tube & see!

Edited by hobgoblin

What a bit of kit! seem to remember Jack Hargraves & Colin Willcox( ithink) from shooting times also used to do the"Survival" t.v prog, making a punt gun.They had the firing mech'&had various tube to try out for proofing will look on you tube & see!

just had a look but nothing so maybe i read about it...or dreamt?? does anyone else recalll it?

You`re quite right they they did try to build a punt gun but it was back in the late fifties, early sixties and I don`t think you`ll find anything about it on You tube.

It`s hard to know why they went to all the trouble of making a gun from the experimental breech of a wartime gun when they could have picked up a decent and complete outfit from the classified ads of the Shooting Times of the day, for a few quid.Especially since neither Willock nor Hargreaves knew the first thing about punt gunning.

We used to have a few punts go out from Sheps a few years ago. I have on occasions helped launch them. It was always a good debate about the ethics of punt gunning, but if youre crazy enough to paddle out into the mouth of the Wash Estuary in a wooden boat thats just inches from the water with a cannon strapped to it that fires you back 10 yards when fired you deserve anything you hit in my view.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd like to see him shoot that off his hip. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Assuming you mean the semi and not the punt gun then he can, I have seen videos of him and a Bannelli semi shooting strings of 10 like that, ie off the hip and very close range. He also shoots with the gun inverted over the top of his shoulder.

The guy is a very remarkable shot, mind you I bet he fires more cartridges in a day than most of us fire in a year.

As for the punt gun, that is one hell of a tool for sure.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• 1 month later...

Depends how big the gun is, it's weight and how big your punt is. I've a gun that fires up to 16oz and one that fires up to 28oz. In the double punt you don't even feel the recoil of the 16oz gun but the 28oz cannon is a bit of a different story but only about 15yds at most (depending on hich way your facing with the current. The majority of the recoil is absorb into the water. The most challenging part it the massive cloud of smoke that blinds your view after the shot.