Squirrels & the Shotty

Axe

Was out last night with the shotty having a walk round 100acres of overgrown fields. Plenty about but nothing coming my way. Came accross a grey sitting up on a branch out at 28yards and gave it a dose of 32g 61/2 but was very surprised to find I had to give it another.

The shot was well placed as the pellet spread marked the dead tree it was sitting on. So I was just wondering what you guys use on tree rats?

Was out last night with the shotty having a walk round 100acres of overgrown fields. Plenty about but nothing coming my way. Came accross a grey sitting up on a branch out at 28yards and gave it a dose of 32g 61/2 but was very surprised to find I had to give it another.

The shot was well placed as the pellet spread marked the dead tree it was sitting on. So I was just wondering what you guys use on tree rats?

tree rats have a habbit of doing this. In my experiance most cartridges will kill them, but they are v difficult to kill at much over 20-25yards. This winter when i was helping on the vermin drives we always found the people who got the cleanest kills were those who either shot them when they were close, or those using half choke or more. The number 5's seem to kill the cleanest at long range, 6's seem to be a good compromise, but 7's or even 7 1/2's will do it at 15yards.

We shot in the region of 140 of the little creatures in 2 days so sort of came to know the strengths and weaknesses of different choke cartridge combinations. My favoured combination is Half choke with 32g of 6's.

I believe the keeper has now take this years squirell count up to 226 with traps and other smaller vermin drives, seems to have been a dumper year for them.

My advice is simply be ready to put another barrel into them,even though more often than not they are dead they just dont know it, and if left would simply fall off the branch etc.. they appear to be clinging to.

Cheers Nick, I must admit I hadn't considered the choke size. I was using a 1/4 that I had borrowed from SL. Perhaps I should stick my 3/4 back in or pick up a 1/2 at the Parham Game Fair. Are you going, by the way?

nope mate, looks like a good one, but its a little far for me

I shouldnt go much tighter than half, otherwise your just going to disadvantage yourself. Half choke is fine for everything, its what i used in my old mans 391 when i was using that and i shot my 2nd best score on clays.

Cheers Nick, I must admit I hadn't considered the choke size. I was using a 1/4 that I had borrowed from SL. Perhaps I should stick my 3/4 back in or pick up a 1/2 at the Parham Game Fair. Are you going, by the way?

nope mate, looks like a good one, but its a little far for me

I shouldnt go much tighter than half, otherwise your just going to disadvantage yourself. Half choke is fine for everything, its what i used in my old mans 391 when i was using that and i shot my 2nd best score on clays.

Give the old man a kick, its a good show for all the family. :good:

smaller shot will help as well Axe, its all about the pattern and reaching the small area of kill zone on a squirrel so 7's will give you more shot in the zone or tighter chokes with 6's and of course the spread is less the closer you are so closer works as well.

I get invited down to the Forest of Dean squirrel shooting and see all sorts used. I suggest if the shot patterned all round the little blighter then you have got holes in your pattern.

I use 7.5's (clay loads) for shooting on the run or 3's for dray shooting.

Ft

If specifically going after squirrels I prefer 3/4 and full at least 30gm or 32gm preferably of #6 if a mixed bag is expected then I use my normal 1/4 and 3/4.

I think squirrels are tough little ******* and the more lead in them the better. I have been on squirrel shoots and shot alongside guns with open chokes many times. Tight chokes deffinately out perform them.

Other than for foxes that is the only time I mess with chokes.

regards

Leeboy