interesting experience at clay ground

artschool

so I am off for a day on the pheasants tomorrow and I though that I would pop down at lunch to my local clay ground for a session on the low towers.

after I had gone though a couple of boxes on the towers, I decided to finish off on the sporting layout.

after about 6-10 shots I noticed someone standing in the background. not unusual I thought. then he shifted position and I saw he was wearing a hooded top and tracksuit. not normal for a clay ground.

so I remove the carts from the gun kept it broken and said good afternoon. I should point out that I was on my own and not in view of the shop or clubhouse.

tracksuit man then asked for a "go, only two shots" in broken English(turned out to be polish). I realised he had been drinking at this point. he moved to within about 2-3ft of me.

gun immediately disassembled. action in bag and the barrels and forend reassembled and kept in my hands, all whilst making small talk with the chap regarding the need for a license( true) and that all the video cameras were watching so he couldn't have a go( not true).

I then called the shop and asked for someone to come down to speak with him. the employee arrived and said he couldn't shoot. I explained that I didn't know him from Adam, to be told that it's a public right of way and he couldn't remove him!!! at this point tracksuit man had wandered over to the next layout to bother someone else and the groundsman seemed to get the message that something wasn't right.

I then packed up and left, passing the trackie wearing idiot in my car on the way out whilst he staggered up the road.

aparently the clay ground had called the police but they didn't get him.

food for thought! I wouldnt be in a hurry to go by myself again :no:

to be told that it's a public right of way and he couldn't remove him!!!

eh? I know a shoot that has footpath running through the "fall out" and there is bell people ring to stop the shooting when its in progress (or a person waiting to stop them walking through the fall out), but a public right of way through the course?

eh? I know a shoot that has footpath running through the "fall out" and there is bell people ring to stop the shooting when its in progress (or a person waiting to stop them walking through the fall out), but a public right of way through the course?

don't quote me on the exact legal terminology, maybe a footpath. it runs behind the shooting points so you would not be in danger walking along it.

Was that at N.W.S.S Its where i shoot and i don't think they'd stand for anything like that.If it was ,the fact he had no recomended protective clothing would be reason enough to launch him off the site. If not where were you shooting?

No issues with the clay ground so no need to name. Once they realised he was a danger he was watched and the police were called. :good:

No issues with the clay ground so no need to name. Once they realised he was a danger he was watched and the police were called. :good:

Fair enough ,I do prefer shooting with someone else seems to make the experience more enjoyable, usually my brother, we have a little comp towards the end of the shoot ,by the way i'm hoping to write a letter of introduction at some point this year to the Grange may well see you there.

your saying you would not go by yourself again but quite willing to let others do, why not name the ground so that others can get the heads up at least to be aware. :hmm:

name me a clay ground that is surrounded by 8ft fencing and is totally secure.

they all have the same level of security and someone could easily wander in.

I don't have an issue with the ground, so no need for a fuss.

Fair enough ,I do prefer shooting with someone else seems to make the experience more enjoyable, usually my brother, we have a little comp towards the end of the shoot ,by the way i'm hoping to write a letter of introduction at some point this year to the Grange may well see you there.

I normally go on Wednesdays, that is when I can escape work and the wife and kids. :good:

so I am off for a day on the pheasants tomorrow and I though that I would pop down at lunch to my local clay ground for a session on the low towers.

after I had gone though a couple of boxes on the towers, I decided to finish off on the sporting layout.

after about 6-10 shots I noticed someone standing in the background. not unusual I thought. then he shifted position and I saw he was wearing a hooded top and tracksuit. not normal for a clay ground.

so I remove the carts from the gun kept it broken and said good afternoon. I should point out that I was on my own and not in view of the shop or clubhouse.

tracksuit man then asked for a "go, only two shots" in broken English(turned out to be polish). I realised he had been drinking at this point. he moved to within about 2-3ft of me.

gun immediately disassembled. action in bag and the barrels and forend reassembled and kept in my hands, all whilst making small talk with the chap regarding the need for a license( true) and that all the video cameras were watching so he couldn't have a go( not true).

I then called the shop and asked for someone to come down to speak with him. the employee arrived and said he couldn't shoot. I explained that I didn't know him from Adam, to be told that it's a public right of way and he couldn't remove him!!! at this point tracksuit man had wandered over to the next layout to bother someone else and the groundsman seemed to get the message that something wasn't right.

I then packed up and left, passing the trackie wearing idiot in my car on the way out whilst he staggered up the road.

aparently the clay ground had called the police but they didn't get him.

food for thought! I wouldnt be in a hurry to go by myself again :no:

Think you done the right thing my friend if its the ground i think it is,mid week it can be quiet,you cant take a chance.

name me a clay ground that is surrounded by 8ft fencing and is totally secure.

they all have the same level of security and someone could easily wander in.

I don't have an issue with the ground, so no need for a fuss.

I normally go on Wednesdays, that is when I can escape work and the wife and kids. :good:

Larkhill

MOD Stafford

Bisley

Bisley

Hardly anyone can walk/drive in, my local ground has had problems with thefts (maily batteries and equipment) but they have found fishing gear stashed near the stream and other bits suggesting people are getting in at night etc 2 miles from nearest footpath all across private land

Edited by HDAV

Am i missing something? So what crime did the pole commit? Asked you for a go of your gun, well alright can i have a go then. Dont understand you mate, sounds like you've been watching too many hollywood blockbusters. :hmm:

he wasn't wearing any eye protection. :rolleyes:

he wasn't wearing any ear defenders :rolleyes:

inappropriate attire :rolleyes:

no shotgun certificate :hmm:

no mandatory lesson. :hmm:

drunk :no:

reaching out for my shotgun :/

Am i missing something? So what crime did the pole commit? Asked you for a go of your gun, well alright can i have a go then. Dont understand you mate, sounds like you've been watching too many hollywood blockbusters. :hmm:

Seriously? You would have handed a shotgun & cartridges over to a complete stranger under those circumstances?

he wasn't wearing any eye protection. :rolleyes:

he wasn't wearing any ear defenders :rolleyes:

inappropriate attire :rolleyes:

no shotgun certificate :hmm:

no mandatory lesson. :hmm:

drunk :no:

reaching out for my shotgun :/

Still no crime committed. Silly fukers everywhere nowadays, whats wrong with him being inquisitive?

Edited by unapalomablanca

Seriously? You would have handed a shotgun & cartridges over to a complete stranger under those circumstances?

I asked what crime he was committing, said nothing about me handing him a gun. I would have said to him, pay at the kiosk and go and borrow a gun. You see there are loads of people on these forums who reckon all sorts of trash, most of the time they are either exaggerating or stirring or both!

I asked what crime he was committing, said nothing about me handing him a gun. I would have said to him, pay at the kiosk and go and borrow a gun. You see there are loads of people on these forums who reckon all sorts of trash, most of the time they are either exaggerating or stirring or both!

Do we have to wait for a crime to be committed before we get concerned about a drunk bloke wandering around a clay ground asking for a go on a gun? I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make but it does seem that you think anyone that raises an eyebrow at this sort of situation is stirring up some sort of trouble themselves.

Reading between the lines though you seem to be accusing the OP of exaggeration or some sort of mischief making?