Eye Dominance ?

Royboy

Ive been shooting for a wile now but only just been introduced into eye dominance ! Ive allways shot with both eyes open but somebody noticed i had my head right over the stock because i was using my left eye to look down the barrel, (hence being a **** shot) !

Now ive brought my head to were it should be i feel that I'm looking down the left side of the barrel and cant focus on the target so i started closing one eye. How can i get back into having both eyes open ? I did try a easy hit but i still felt like i was looking down the side of the barrel. Any help would be brilliant !

Thanks Roy

Edited by Royboy

Shotspots worked for me they are not an instant cure as they take a bit of getting used to

I found they still allow good alround vision but block out the side of barrels, on the odd occasion my left eye still takes over and have to close it before pulling the trigger. I'm afraid it is trial and error as some things work for some people and not for others.

Just shoot left handed saves all the faffing about simples (your unlikely to reach your potential shooting with one eye closed and closing an eye mid swing will cause you to loose the sight picture and then need to re establish it. As a Right handed left eye dominant shot who has the made the transition after trying pretty much everything else.

I guess it's human nature but most people would rather pay £20/£50/£200 for a gizmo than put the effort in, I have read it is possible to train your brain to use the eye you prefer to use rather than the natural eye.

Eye dominance isn't particularly well covered and after speaking to a few opticians most had no clue about it. It takes IMO 2 - 12 weeks to change shoulder then you have to learn to shoot LH.

I am not a brilliant shot but i am certainly better for shooting left handed.

If i don't shoot for a while (as in recently) It starts to feel alien again to use the left shoulder so at the beginning practice is required, lots of dry mounting. I remain unconvinced by easyhit beads for "cross" eye dominance ok for middle or central vision perhaps marginal cases but certainly not good for my eyes and get you focusing on the glowing bead and not the target (the total reverse of what your supposed to do.

On a side note most females are not eye dominant to a specific eye (something to do with different optical nerve make up i believe) so thats makes Welshlamb even more special.............

A good coach will send you in the right direction to what is your eye domination and what you should do to master it ,I know a lefty that shoots right handed with the thumb up ,i use patches some one else uses the coloured bead, never worked for me,some people train their eyes,seek some advice from a coach that can look directly at the problem :good:

How much are they about ? Where would i go ? BASC ?

Whereabouts are you? OK just seen Chorley

About £60.00 per hour (money well spent)

Basc website will give you information about Coaches in your area, or drop me a pm.

Eye dominance is a major part of the BASC Coaching qualification.

You could also use the CPSA

Edited by bakerboy

This is my little pet subject....

Unfortunately you have to be careful with coaches on this subject, you get a lot of fantastic shots / coaches passing on advice but they have never suffered from cross dominance, they can smash clays for fun & teach most how to do it, but don’t understand the difficulty of cross dominance as they don’t see it through our eyes.

Everything suggested works to a point, it will improve your shooting over doing nothing... As to the best its subjective, each shooter reacts differently to each method. Herein lies the problem, you have to find out for yourself by trial and error and it takes longer than a 2 hour lesson to achieve this.

I tried switching shoulders, got quite proficient at it, but due to an old motocross injury on my left shoulder this was not for me.

Tried the spot on the glasses but I would often peer round it and the sight picture would change when my master eye was obscured by the spot.

Tried the easy hit.

Tried the dimming (not shutting an eye) when the stock hit my face, this was my preferred method for a long time but it does have a disadvantage on certain targets.

I then trained my brain to switch dominance, doing this I saw all the difference types of dominance that exist whilst going from strong left eye to strong right eye dominance.

This is the problem, depending on how strongly dominant you are depends on the best solution.

Also if you are aware of the problem then you could be looking at the gun or bead which can in itself cause dominance issues because your left eye has a better view of the barrels than your right so the brain switches to that eye. Not concentrating on the barrels helps in this instant

Try shutting the off shoulder eye whilst loading the gun then call for the target and open the eye, it takes the brain a few seconds to switch dominance and sometimes this is enough to cure it.

Like I have said what works for some might not for you so it’s a suck it and see type deal. But some coaches are of the opinion that there is only one way to cure it, this is not the case, and they often suggest a method that will reap the benefits in a short lesson rather than the best long term solution for the shooter.

I have now successfully trained my brain so job done for me.

HDAV changed shoulders job done for him.

Nimms used the dots..... etc etc ......

:good:

Ah timps yes the master of eye changing (the reason i didn't attempt this is because right eye is not as good as my left vision wise and while it may have corrected the dominance I wouldn't have been able to see the target as well/clearly)

I am also very strongly left eye dominant (it often swaps with age around 50 so your age can have an effect and it can change naturally or by design)