410 . or 28 gauge

neil w

my 7 year old son has taken an interest in shotguns . he would like to try clay pigeon shooting at the local club . i want to purchase a single barrel gun for him . in your view what would be best 410 or 28 gauge to get him started

I would go the 28g route, it is a little more forgiving.

Rossi do a nice little hammer gun that is reasonably priced.

Contact wabbit bosher he had one for sale a short while ago.

Terry

Not so sure myself.

At 7yrs he's unlikely to have the upper body weight and strength to support an U/O 28g.

At this age, they key is to instil gun confidence and safe handling. Its hard to safely handle a gun that's too big and heavy, and the lack of control will add to the miss ratio - maybe causing a lack of confidence.

'

At 7yrs, a small single 410 with a very short stock, 12" or so, should be light enough for a proper stance. It wont take too long for all the right training to become instilled and he can move up to a heavier double barrelled 28g.

Personally I think, from an age of 7yrs this should be taken in stages starting with a 410 single.

Not so sure myself.

At 7yrs he's unlikely to have the upper body weight and strength to support an U/O 28g.

At this age, they key is to instil gun confidence and safe handling. Its hard to safely handle a gun that's too big and heavy, and the lack of control will add to the miss ratio - maybe causing a lack of confidence.

'

At 7yrs, a small single 410 with a very short stock, 12" or so, should be light enough for a proper stance. It wont take too long for all the right training to become instilled and he can move up to a heavier double barrelled 28g.

Personally I think, from an age of 7yrs this should be taken in stages starting with a 410 single.

or a single barrel 28g, perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer

thanks for your replies , and information regarding sellers . i think 28g is proberly the way to go.

whereabout s are you.

I have short stock .410 not being used.

Yes, a single 28 with 12" pull and 26" barrels might be OK if the lad's not slight in build - but finding one will be hard, while there's loads of bolt action 410s out there around the £100 +/- mark depending on condition.

28g are fantastic guns, but I'd think it easier and cheaper to start 410 single and when he's ready for 28gauge , go to an U/O

thanks clayman & bakerboy .. i know what you are saying , he is short wee fella but very strong for his age . he can lift his eleven year old brother off the ground . i live in west dumbatonshire scotland .. bakerboy the short stocked 410 iam interested could you please give me more info on this and price please . thanks again for your replies

Personally I would recommend a .410. Light fast and easy to source. Readily available in 26" barrels and short stock. It will teach him about accuracy and range, a great foundation :good: :good: And before anyone jumps on the post, its a more than capable calibre :yes: Have a look at both singles and doubles. There is very little extra weight in the double and as said, he will long for the xtra barrel before long.

Exciting times for him. :yes: :yes:

Edited by turbo33

thanks clayman & bakerboy .. i know what you are saying , he is short wee fella but very strong for his age . he can lift his eleven year old brother off the ground . i live in west dumbatonshire scotland .. bakerboy the short stocked 410 iam interested could you please give me more info on this and price please . thanks again for your replies

I was thinking long term loan, no charge.

The rfd cost £25.00 my end, not sure at yours, and then the same to return when you have finished, you could buy a .410, for £50.00.

But if you want to progress, drop me a PM and away we go :good:

Or you could contact wabbitbosher, he is excellent on this sort of gun.

A small tip if you will take it , start him off on balloons blowing in a gentle wind if you have your own permission :yes: Good to have one to one time and keep an eye on his safety

out of prying eyes

magman thanks for that . i would have never of thought of that idea . will give it a go . previous sunday i was trying to shoot clays i think i was the balloon behind the gun . i think we all have days like that :(

A small tip if you will take it , start him off on balloons blowing in a gentle wind if you have your own permission :yes: Good to have one to one time and keep an eye on his safety

out of prying eyes

magman thanks for that . i would have never of thought of that idea . will give it a go . previous sunday i was trying to shoot clays i think i was the balloon behind the gun . i think we all have days like that :(

Make sure you have a go first and MISS ;) gives the lad bragging rights to his mum and co :good:

I have just started taking my 11 year old son; been borrowing a 28 bore s/s, I am in the same position, thought long and hard about .410 or 28 bore. In the end I used him as an excuse and got a 20g silver pigeon. It's too heavy for him but fits me lovely!!So now think I will get a single barrel .410 till he is old enough to not be put off by the silver pigeon's wieght.

He has had some lesson at Hodnet (they are brilliant down there) and I would say he is already a better shot than me!.

Great tip about the balloons