PERMISSION

SPARKIE

WENT OUT YESTERDAY KNOCKING ON FARM DOORS TRYED ABOUT 30 LOCAL FARMS AND STILL HAVE NO PERMISSION COUPLE TOOK MY PHONE NUMBER AND 1 SAID HE WILL GIVE ME A RING IN SEPTEMBER BUT EVERYWERE SEEMS TO HAVE PEOPLE OR SYNDICATES SHOOTING ON THERE LAND ALLREADY ILL TRY AGAIN THIS WEEK END :drool: ALL THE FARMERS /LAND OWNERS SEEMED QUITE PLESENT MAY BE DUE TO ENGLAND WINNING OR CAUSE ITS NICE WEATHER IS ANYONE ELSE LOOKING AROUND DERBYSHIRE WHO MAY WANT A SHOOTING BUDDY AND IFSO WERE HAVE YOU TRYED

I'm a salesman, and people never ring you back - for various reasons.

Make a note of their number and name, and ring them back.

To the vaguely positive responses always say - "Do you mind if I give you a call in 3 months time to see if I can help you out then?". Make sure you do ring back when you say you will.

If you get a point blank "No", then at least you will not waste your time later.

Offer to do jobs on the farm in return for shooting permission. Most farm building areas are bothered by rats, and so offer to install and set rat traps.

Get some cards made with your phone number and vermin control header etc. Leave them everywhere you call.

I got lots of permissions in my early days by asking for ferreting, with the magic words - "No dogs, and no guns". Once people get to know you they will usually give you permission for a gun.

Once I had got permission for ferreting, I used to find out where the boundary hedges were with the next farm, and then call at the next farm asking for ferreting permission "On their side of the boundary hedges only - no dogs and no guns". More often than not I got permission for that farm too.

If you can, find out the name of the farmer before you call - farmers often get suspicious of strangers asking "Is the farmer in?". A bit like people knocking on my door and saying "Is the householder in?".

Keep on trying - you will get there eventually.

I won't say good luck, because the more doors you knock on the more luck you will get!

Don

Sometimes pays to look for farms with lots of pigeon's / rabbits visable on them. Then what you do is call in the farm and mention the dammage you have noticed them doing and would the farmer like you to cull them, mention that your all legal and insured, even offer to help out maybe by driving a tractor while he's combining! You can go a long way by kissing ***! :):lol: :(

Good luck mate! :good::)

well the fields that im goin to see about are next to the stables where im shooting and there is shed loads of woodies there and they keep flying into the fields around them so keep my fingers crosed that all gos well tomoz theres a few pics of the area in the pics section ive posted tonight under anouther woody

WAHOOOOOOOOO ive done it lads went back to the farm today he gave me 60 acres to start on he said there aint much on it pigeon wise he said how wrong was he :good::) i thought ill get my gear and gun and went for a shoot pulled up at a laybye at the side of the road and was greated by about 300 woodyss the 1s ive been chasing round the stables i couldnt load the gun fast enougth had a look round noticed the birds flying past a big oak tree in the middle so went and stood under it perfect they were flying straight at me manage to shoot 4 within about 25 mins was only out for around an hour done a bit of reccy on the ground and it started to rain so packed up to come home ill be out again wed night i think he gave me permission to go as and when i like i dont even have to tell him im there also when they sow there seeds hes gonna let me know ... :):lol: :( so i will have the rest of the land hopefully around sept time.theres anouther 600 odd acres :( :blush: ive posted a few pics in the pics section

Didn't think there was any left in derby :good::)

yer there is its just finding it its hard work ive got about 4 farms to go back to in sept there gonna ring me they said i asked if i can call back in sept and they all seem ok about it