Anxiety/yapping

bigstevouk

Just after a little advice, well my older springer is now 1yr 3mths, she's coming on nicely with commands whistle etc but i seem to have a problem. Firstly once in the motor she yaps and whines, i think she gets so excited knowing she's off out, not too much of a problem as she quitens down after a little while BUT once we get to where we're shooting she's fine working until i call her in, then she starts yapping and whining (again like over excited) until i send her back out to work and then all is fine again. In every aspect she's a cracking dog and just a little vocal at this stage in her life, I'm just wondering if its just puppy/teenager excitement or a problem i need to get under control? Any info would be grately received...... :good:

Just after a little advice, well my older springer is now 1yr 3mths, she's coming on nicely with commands whistle etc but i seem to have a problem. Firstly once in the motor she yaps and whines, i think she gets so excited knowing she's off out, not too much of a problem as she quitens down after a little while BUT once we get to where we're shooting she's fine working until i call her in, then she starts yapping and whining (again like over excited) until i send her back out to work and then all is fine again. In every aspect she's a cracking dog and just a little vocal at this stage in her life, I'm just wondering if its just puppy/teenager excitement or a problem i need to get under control? Any info would be grately received...... :good:

Sounds like she might be a bit familiar with the routine and demanding the sport a little to much. Try reigning her in a bit. Invest some time in obedience/behaviour training, start by taking her on journeys that don't result in a shoot all the time reinforce heal training, sit, stay, take her for an hours walk on the lead. Put her in the car just for the sake of it leave her in 5 mins till she stops yapping then bring her back in the house or kennel. Leave her at home and you go shooting Just mundane boring stuff

She needs to understand that yapping doesn't get her what she wants, if you out on a shoot and she starts yapping because she wants to work put her in the car, you finish your day then take her home with no more work. If you let her work when she yapps she'll learn that yapping gets her what she wants. Do the opposit of what she wants when she yaps.

ATB, Lee

totally agree with Lee

Make the dog get used to the car and just going in it, not just to shooting. if it learns that yapping doesnt get what it wants it will stop - same as baby crying - they all mean different things.

does she yapp as soon as in car? if she does then as soon as the yapping starts take her out. and walk her away from the car. give it a bit then try again.. as so on.. may get boring for you but again if the dog realises that everytime it yapps it gets back out of the car and therefore not going out then it should stop it.

ATB

Night mare

Good luck in sorting it

I would do as above more time doing nothing sitting in car on drive etc

I would not return or show and attention if she is making a noise

If she does it when cast off or on return or while sat up waiting to go, you need to get at her lead on and corect her

Its something that certainly wont get better with age and it might be a good idea to take her to a good local trainer to cast there eye over her for you

Sounds like she might be a bit familiar with the routine and demanding the sport a little to much. Try reigning her in a bit. Invest some time in obedience/behaviour training, start by taking her on journeys that don't result in a shoot all the time reinforce heal training, sit, stay, take her for an hours walk on the lead. Put her in the car just for the sake of it leave her in 5 mins till she stops yapping then bring her back in the house or kennel. Leave her at home and you go shooting Just mundane boring stuff

She needs to understand that yapping doesn't get her what she wants, if you out on a shoot and she starts yapping because she wants to work put her in the car, you finish your day then take her home with no more work. If you let her work when she yapps she'll learn that yapping gets her what she wants. Do the opposit of what she wants when she yaps.

ATB, Lee

Great advice, glad I joined this forum,from what I've seen/read there's a lot knowledgeable folk on hear

Never had this problem with a dog barking in a vehicle.Usually had another dog or dogs with new dogs.Agree with the what the lads have advised. :good: Something i seen years ago by 2 top trialing handlers 1 who had made up 20+ FTCH the other with more champions.

Its not to do with dog in vehicle but might work for you.Is the sack treatment,and iv'e seen this with my own eyes.When they have a barking dog they put a hessiam sack over their head for a minute or two, they stop almost straight away.Take off sack if start again they shouted sack then back on.Few lesson on this they soon shut up :lol: When i went to visit them and dogs started barking he just shouted sack and it was like a grave yard.That was with 30+ gundogs. And before anyone says its cruel it ain't.