Last Whole Day Of The Season

sako751sg

Had a run round to a wee pond yesterday to feed it and found a couple of hundred pinks on stibble next to it so asked the lad how long they had been there.Found out they had been grazing the grass parks next to the stibble for a couple of days so fed the pond,broke a bit of the ice and headed home to fill the Jeep with deeks ready for this morning.Woke at 5am for a slash and then got the laptop going to try the new call and see how it compared to the instructional clips on Youtube.Didnt sound anything like it but by 6.30 i thought i wouldnt learn anymore so kicked Mac oot his pit,loaded up and held oot.Only a 15 minute drive and when we got there i had a wee walk and shine with the torch to look for any **** to see where to position the deeks.I didnt see many positive signs so narrowed it doon to two places for the deeks,and told Mac to make the final decision.He went against my grain but we set the deeks and got into cover which was spot on being a wide march with cracking fund bushes to get tucked into.Very frosty,and no wind didnt make for ideal conditions but with them working during the week and my new found expertise on the call i thought there would be a chance.Only had to wait aboot 15 mins before we spotted a wee skein of 5 pinks passing us by around 600 yards away.I gave a few blows on the DJ caller and unbelievably they turned and headed straight in,and with all the cover we were tucked into i missed them landing in beside the deeks.They were well oot so i made a wee bit of noise and two took off but a call turned them and they started coming in bonny again and with the wings set i dropped the first and an easy second was clean missed with 40g of lead 3s.We couldnt belive what the caller had achieved and after that every skein except one came gliding in.It only numbered 5 skeins but we couldnt believe how effective it was and ended up with 3 pinks straight doon and another one set the wings and i marked him doon aboot 500 yards away.Called endex at 10 so got the Jeep,told Mac to pick the deeks and i went away to see if i could get the pricked lad.Unfortunately when i got within 100 yards of him he took off and seeing how he struggled i doubt if he would have lasted the day and night.Dont get many cracks at the geese noo so this one was pretty spot on and 3 was a top bag.Mac had the .410 with him and managed 2 crows and i had another one with it too.

Next we set off for Macs last crack at a pheasant for the season.The walk took a couple of hours and we ended up with 10,Mac getting 3 of them which were pretty good shots.Plenty of birds but with the calm conditions they were not the most testing.

Next stop was the MILs for a chance of a woodcock or two.Its not a big area but very rough and hard going and usually takes an hour to cover it.Usually flush quite a few in it,but this season has been very poor but surprisingly 6 took out with 2 offering a shot.The first was hard hit with a burst of feathers on the second shot but it carried on into the woods out of sight.The second burst from the base of a single larch and i just up and pulled but hadnt a clue if it connected.Rab showed a lot of interest in the general area so i thought it must have come doon and sure enough after a few seconds he latched onto a winged woodcock.Very delighted to get one and even better to see a few more that of late.

Pressed post but im nay finished yet.Still to bore you more yet.

Next stop was the wee pond to try for a duck.It was refrozen so Mac got his wellies on to break the margins,and knowing how many times i had nearly fell over the day before i got the camera oot just incase a wee mishap happened.Sure enough,he got bogged doon and when he tried to get debogged he fell in and got slightly weet and dirty so took a couple of snaps.Needless to say he spent the evening in the Jeep keeping warm and although nay many mallard came in 2 pairs did and i managed a drake oot of each.A top finish to the season although i might get oot on Monday for a wee while.

Edited by sako751sg

Well done Mac & Dave :good: never shot the Geese decoyed but might take a few shots to get the eye in ??? shooting them in full flight ive got to mind tae gie the gun an extra punt in front as they don't seem to be going as fast as they are :blush:

well done mate bet the young one was over the moon :good:

atb dolphin

Cheers fella.He was well chuffed,even the soaking didnt worry him and it was -1.

Well done Mac & Dave :good: never shot the Geese decoyed but might take a few shots to get the eye in ??? shooting them in full flight ive got to mind tae gie the gun an extra punt in front as they don't seem to be going as fast as they are :blush:

Hardly get among them noo Tam but its pretty exciting and they rarely come in like they did yesterday.The call was spot on for the first time ive used it.

excellant stuff again sako :good: :good:

and i can sympathise wi mac because i have slid down the bank of a flight pond some years ago in the middle of january up to me waist into very cold water :lol:

Cheers fella.I could sympathise with him,but didnt. :lol: Ive done it too many times and it doesnt get easier,hence putting the wee man in from noo on.

Great post, looks like you had a cracking day.

ps Bad enough for the lad to get a soaking but to have it photographed :lol::lol::lol:

Ta fella,cracking day again.I half expected a wee soaking so had the camera pretty handy.

Great stuff... Well Done... :good:

Cheers fella.

Excellent write up and pics Dave. Young Mac has evidently got those pheasants figured, out cracking them with the .410!! My goose calling experiences differ from yours, I can almost always turn them-----in the other direction!! Nice job.

Cheers Timothy.Hes getting better and the mounting has improved which was his main downside.Thats the first time with the caller and it had stunning results,esp for a windless day but im sure it wont be as effective all the time.

Great read and pics again mate. You do have some varied sport up there in lovely surroundings.Bet the yung un was freezing!!!!!!End of season now , I suppose its now time to cull some does ?

Cheers fella.Great variety in top surroundings.I have had 6 does and thats more than i usually shoot fella so hopefully no more this season.Wee bit quiet till April when ill start on the bucks.