Mallard

TomV

Is Mallard worth plucking and drawing in order to roast? or is it best just to remove the breast mate?

I roast mine whole at about 160 degree's 20 mins per pound then add 15 mins dont forget to keep basting it to keep it juicy and moist it will then fall off the bone yum yum

Also like duck breast but seems a shame to wast such a big carcass.

Is Mallard worth plucking and drawing in order to roast? or is it best just to remove the breast mate?

I breast mine. Leave the skin on, score the skin, trying not to cut the meat and season. Very hot butter in pan and seal both sides till brown (very quick) take off heat and reduce the heat to a simmer level and finish to the degree of rareness required. Lovely.

Yes if you have the time - loads more lovely skin!!!

I breast mine. Leave the skin on, score the skin, trying not to cut the meat and season. Very hot butter in pan and seal both sides till brown (very quick) take off heat and reduce the heat to a simmer level and finish to the degree of rareness required. Lovely.

Rather than that, after they've browned and caramelised slightly, allow them to finish them off in the oven and then rest the meat for at least 5 mins (preferrably 10)

Yes if you have the time - loads more lovely skin!!!

Rather than that, after they've browned and caramelised slightly, allow them to finish them off in the oven and then rest the meat for at least 5 mins (preferrably 10)

At what temperature. Sounds good. Got six hanging in the shed at the mo awaiting prep. :good:

If you have a hob to oven pan (no plastic or wooden handles), just take it off the hob and put it straight into a medium to hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes (for breasts only), depending on how rare you want it.

While the meat's resting after you've taken it out, pour most of the fat out of the pan (keep it in the fridge for roasties once it's cooled) and then deglaze the pan with some wine or cider and that's the start of your gravy or sauce.

I roast mine whole at about 160 degree's 20 mins per pound then add 15 mins dont forget to keep basting it to keep it juicy and moist it will then fall off the bone yum yum

Also like duck breast but seems a shame to wast such a big carcass.

I quite agree but after your gift this weekend (Salop Sniper stocked up) We tried doing the Duck breast the same as Pheasant, wrapped in Bacon. Turned out great but needed twice as long as the Pheasant breast to be cooked to our liking :good: :good: :good:

atvb Paul.

I`ll say it again, if you use the breasts only, then remember to keep the legs and freeze until you have a good few, then make duck leg confit, and peel off the skin and boil it with a little water until the water evaporates and you are left with duck fat for the confit or roast tatties and the skin can be fast fried and turns out like pork scratchings. Use the carcass for stock.