How do I choose

Lancs Lad

All, be gentle........

Im thinking about getting a shot gun. Ive been shooting air guns for the last few years and want to ask some of the "experienced" shotty shooters for some advice.

Im probably going to have in the region of £600 to play with, so a set of purdeys is out of the question, unless I come up with a lock stock and 2 smoking barrels opportunity.

Im going to be mostly shooting pigeons and possibly have the odd invited country estate shoot day from my suppliers. My local shoot is shotty friendly so I shouldnt have any problems there.

Where do you start when choosing a gun. Obvious answer is you need to go down the shop and have a feel and that its a personal choice etc etc, a bit like the advice you give to a person wanting to take up air gunning.

Can anyone tell me the advantages of O.U or S.S or Semi Autos..........

Personaly prefer the O.U for looks. Semi autos, maybe if Im riding my harley and wearing sunglasses. S.S think they look "dated" and should be kept for flint locks.....just not my cup of tea.

This gun is going to be a tool........its going to be used, like my air guns, they have a few dings and Im not bothered about it....they are used in the field and are for the field not for polishing up and making my gun rack look pretty. Obvious gun care and cleaning takes place as Im sure you will appreciate. Im not bothered about lovely gold inlaid engravings and the bloke along the line knowing that your gun is the Versace of the local shoot. I need it to go bang, be consistent and up for the job....

What makes should I be looking at in the £600 range, or who should I look at avoiding....I know whats what in the air gun world, but not with shotties.

Your help is greatly appreciated......

Oh, and just to make it worse..........Im left handed...........

okay..... the advantages of a O/U are mainly in what you can see (e.g no barrels either side) and in the handeling.

Alot of people make alot of fuss about S/S's being harder to shoot, personally i dont find this the case.... its just 'different'

Personally i find the O/U the most versatile gun, they are more likely to have multi chokes, they are more likely to have 3" chambres than a S/S and they are more acceptable on a phesant shoot than a semi auto

for £600 you could get a nice used beretta 686/687 or a browning 325,425,525,GTI or a miroku mk70, mk38 or winchester

New you could get a Lanber, nearly afford a winchester select or get a new semi auto beretta with synthetic stock.

The most important thing is you choose one you feel comfortable with, it must be a good fit, if you dont know what a good fit feels like get a person in the shop to look at you holding it.

If you want a working gun i would go for a O/U with 3" chambres and multi choke. A 2nd hand MK70 Sport would be my choice as i find the fit nice for me.

Just noticed your a left hooker, you can have stocks 'bent' or fitted by a gunsmith, so in theory a gun with a right handed cast could be made left handed. But this very much depends on the density of the wood, some will bend some wont, and some will return to their original shape in changing heat.

Yep, you should be looking at a 12 bore OU (in my opinion). They're good to learn with, being steady, controllable guns. They're also the most common, and with the greatest range of ammunition.

A layman's explanation on shotgun bores: the bore of a shotgun refers to the internal diameter of the barrel. The bore size is determined by the number of pure lead spheres which together weigh 1lb, whose individual diameter precisely fits the internal diameter of the barrel. Basically, 12 balls of lead of 0.729in/185mm together weigh 1lb. Thus 0.729" is the normal diameter of a 12-bore shotgun.

It's the same with huge 4-bore wildfowling guns, and slender 28-bore guns.

The exception to this is the .410 (four-ten), a tiny shotgun with a bore diameter of .410 inches (equates to a 36-bore).

Finally, don't worry about the left-handed issue. I'm left-handed too and I have never found it a problem in choosing and using shotguns. Any competent gunsmith can alter a stock.

Just noticed your a left hooker, you can have stocks 'bent' or fitted by a gunsmith, so in theory a gun with a right handed cast could be made left handed. But this very much depends on the density of the wood, some will bend some wont, and some will return to their original shape in changing heat.

concour with what you say Nick, just one thing, im a lefty and shoot 3 of 4 brownings that are r/h, the stock fits well with me, all i do is remove the palm swell and rechequer, take a good look at browning the stocks suit a lefty in a right handed world i kid you not, other than that, good luck in your choice and keep us posted .

Martin

Hi,

I bought my Lanber off Dunganick. Everyone told me to get a good fitting gun (and in the same breath said i'll be lucky to do so on my first purchase). At this point i started to get a bit hung up on 'how would i know what a good fit is?' Before i bought mine i had one lesson on a skeet range, the gun i used didn't feel part of me, i was always adjusting myself around the gun to see down the rib. Nick was selling his so we met up and i tried the gun out at a club near him. The gun felt good to me, i could bring it up to my shoulder with next to no fuss. It was the 4th gun i'd ever picked up and i bought it, and i'm still very happy with it.

For me i felt that being new to shooting how would i know what a good fit was? I still don't know but one thing i do know that if i miss a clay it's me and not the gun that's at fault!

My advice (take with a pinch of salt please) is to make sure the gun doesn't feel wrong rather than worry about what does 'right' or 'perfect' feel like? We're all different shapes and sizes so to pick something off the shelf that fits perfect is surley impossible? If it feels good then your 95% there and small adjustments only are required to fit you.

My 2p. :good:

EDIT: I can't comment on the left handed aspect. :good:

concour with what you say Nick, just one thing, im a lefty and shoot 3 of 4 brownings that are r/h, the stock fits well with me, all i do is remove the palm swell and rechequer, take a good look at browning the stocks suit a lefty in a right handed world i kid you not, other than that, good luck in your choice and keep us posted .

Martin

Not at all unusual to see a l/hander shooting a r/hander very comfortably.

Intrestingly the coach we had for the PW Ern. Memorial Monday Madness shot a left handed gun despite being a right hander and was some champion of the police force clay club or something, so it must have been working for him.

Markio, I'm glad your getting on well with it :good:

EDIT: I can't comment on the left handed aspect. :good:

you just did,,,, and very well too, spot on as to the perfect fit, you can spend a lot of time and money getting the perfect gun for your perfect mount, and if you can afford it off you go them, if not try a few out before you buy, look for advice from people in the know ,not who think their in the know.

you can and will make minor subconcious adjustments to your shooting style/mount over time, these will require tuning also, and with experience under your belt it should start to come naturaly.

you kinda know when a gun gels with you, and as you say thats a big part of fitting in.

good luck to you

Martin

Depends on the eyes.

I am lucky? I can shoot with both left and right shoulder. Have a GOOD coach fit it for you and the

rest is down to you and PRACTICE.

Brian

do the same myself BTMS, a few years ago i tore/damaged the tendons in my left arm and found it too painful to hold a shotgun L/H'd, the recoil shock was excrutiating, i love my sport too much to quit therefore i taught myself to shoot from the right shoulder as well, not as high % wise but more than a lot of R/H'd guys i know, i think realy that being a lefty in a righthanded world gave me a better chance ( my opinion), after a period my arm healed but i kept up the practice and improoved my skill level from my right shoulder.

of all the things it has taught me is a greater perspective when shooting targets, how many times have you guys walked up to a station and said " it's set for a lefty" , i bet its more times than ive said "its set for a righty" throw the gun in the other shoulder and have at her :good:

funny realy, a lot of guys will see me shoot both arms and try it once or twice, has to be the most uncomfortable feeling at first,,,,, try it yourselves, safely of cource, put itin the other shoulder and see the world from a different window :lol:

love to hear your comments

Martin

Martin

I'd go for the 12g mate, also the o/u, i've both o/u and semi, i like both guns equally and shoot well with both. However a lot of shoots aren't semi friendly. As for make i'd go for one of beretta, browning or miroku, there true value for money!

I'd reccomend popping along to your local clay shooting ground a few times, have a lesson & try out a few different guns. There's quite a difference in the 'feel' of different makes & not all may suit you - you need to feel comfortable with your gun.

Personally I prefer Browning's over Berretta's because of the balance but thats just me, friends say the reverse for the same reason.

In general terms I'd say go with 12g O/U, but don't necessarilly stick with the major brands. Until a few weeks ago I'd been using the same Rotweil Supersport for the last 15 years - no ones has ever heard of it but it's was Browning copy made my FIAS in Italy. Today the same gun is marketed by McNab!

My local smiths is quite accomodating... :good:

Cheers for the heads up...

Anyone else recommend any guns for the beginer...

Like yourself, I am a reletive begginner. My first and only shotty is a Beretta Urika AL-391 semi. I love it to bits. Its light weight and easy to throw about and three shots puts a smile on your face when you keep missing. :lol:

My only use for the gun is in the field and for me, the semi is the ideal work horse. However, I have found that clay grounds and saome shoots don't like people using semi's. So if your planning on doing this, check you'll be ok with it before getting a semi.

Having said that, you could always buy two shotguns. Cheap s/s or o/u shotty's are readily available, at least you'll have a choice.

Cheers again............

So, its a beretta, miroku or a browning...

Its going to be a 12g.

Its going to be a O.U. to be on the safe side with the game shoot invite.

Can someone explain cartridges to me.....been having a read through the "comics" and there seems to be a difference in types.

Fibre wad and plastic wads....

What is the difference in them and why do some places prefer you to use fibre....is it purely a biodegrading thing or something else...

Also, I assume the shot size is used in relation to the size of game you are shooting... and I would assume that the bigger the shot, the less there is, so the better the shot you should be using larger sizes and the range would be different?:lol:

wads are used for different situations, e.g when doing pest control fibre wads would be best so your not leaving plastic wads all over the fields for livestock to consume. But when shooting clays plastic wad is supposed to give you better patterns and higher velocities i believe (not sure as i dont actually use plastic wad)

shotsize depends on as you say what your shooting.

Clays will be 7.5, 8, 9 shot size

medium sized game.... phesant, pigeon, rabbits, crows would be between 4 and 7 shotsize, and for really big birds.... geese etc... you would be looking at 1's (although now we have to use non toxic shot.... so steel and tungstan matrix... which requires you to choose a large shot size to make up for the lack of performance in the material)

The main reason for increasing the shot size is penetration as far as im aware, larger shot will penetrate deeper and take out more vital organs.

Lancs Lad

Get yourself along to Bamfords at Eccleston near Chorley. They have around 400 shotguns in stock, you will be spoilt for choice, and you will find the staff very helpful.

webber

Cheers for that one webber. I have been in there before, only to have a shuftie at airguns though.... And one of those took me 3 weeks to pick.....

Didnt know that they stocked that many guns.....will take a look when Im doing my rounds.....

• 1 year later...

i have been in the same situation as yourself decididing which brand to go for ,what to spend , etc i looked at lanber (nice gun ), Bettinsoli,winchester,laurona , but none fitted ! although one or two dealers i came across did'nt really care if it did or not if i'd said i'd have it they would have sold me it , regardless of fit , with the help of my instructor i found a dealer i could felt i could trust and evetually went over my budget after weighing up the options of having to pay to have a cheaper gun fitted and altered, i went for a Miroku mk70 that fits perfectly and i am very pleased with my shooting having just tried it at the range so i would recommend this gun if you have any doubts , can't comment on reliability but i am assured this is a very good gun at a very reasonable price £905 brand new

shotsize depends on as you say what your shooting.

The main reason for increasing the shot size is penetration as far as im aware, larger shot will penetrate deeper and take out more vital organs.

Also, muzzle energy: like a bullet, the heavier the pellet (velocity being held constant), the greater the stopping power.

2 or 3 No. 6's will put the pheasant down better than the same number of No. 7 1/2's.

Jim

:rolleyes: All great advice so far for you to know what to look for.

Just three comments from me.......Buy a used one for £600 if you can, it will repay you in quality and resale value.

Not everone is interested in resale value, but as you are new, you are more likely to buy a gun that you find in 6 months, you want to replace, for whatever reason.

So buy one of the big three value guns...........Beretta, Browning, miroku. And if things go wrong you won't loose.

Good luck in your search!!!!!