reluctant other half

slider

I am new to the forum, and wanting to get back into shooting again with an air rifle and see where we go. Problem is 2 kids and a wife who is reluctant to allow guns in the house. She isn't against shooting/hunting just having guns around.

Being ex military and extremely safety concious my attempts to re-assure her that said 'guns' will be locked away from children, doesn't seem to help placate her.

Any one else had problems like this and how did you go about changing their opinion.

Thanks in advance

I am new to the forum, and wanting to get back into shooting again with an air rifle and see where we go. Problem is 2 kids and a wife who is reluctant to allow guns in the house. She isn't against shooting/hunting just having guns around.

Being ex military and extremely safety concious my attempts to re-assure her that said 'guns' will be locked away from children, doesn't seem to help placate her.

Any one else had problems like this and how did you go about changing their opinion.

Thanks in advance

tough one that :yes: have you got a mate who is willing to house a gun? and welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

tough one that :yes: have you got a mate who is willing to house a gun? and welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

Only mate who could look after it is 100 miles away, bit too far just to pop out for a couple of hours.

really would like to introduce the little fella to the joys of shooting. Think the discipline involved would do him good.

Slider,

I understand where your Wife is coming from, but i also understand the pleasures of shooting for sport. Initially i was also aganst guns in the house having two boys of 12 - 13. I conceded when my husband (Slipster)suggested taking them target shooting first and they joined the local club, this taught them not only the pleasures but mainly the disciplines of keeping them.

Now they all go shooting together an thoroughly enjoy it, the guns are locked away at all times, they are more than aware of the dangers and have total respect for them.

Yours

Mrs Slipter :rolleyes:

:good: my missus didn't like the idea of guns at all, let alone having them in the house :sly: (this is because of wars & people shooting at each other in the streets. i pointed out the fact that guns don't kill people, people kill people). i eventually convinced her that, if operated by a responsible person & treated with respect, guns are as safe as you keep them, she now (on occasion) comes with me to our shooting club :rolleyes:

she also believes (as i do) that shooting animals should not be just for fun, it should be either for food, or for a cull (she still has some difficulty understanding that part! she also forgets that if it's a quick clean kill, then it's as humane as you can get! - she has a little problem with live targets :sly: )

it's hard work, but keep at it...........................they will fold (eventually...) :yes:

I thought it was just me..........first time a gun came in the door it was the gun or her...................Honest..it was almost divorce......

After about a year, she turned round and said that I could get one after we were talking about something.....

I now own 2...

Like yourself, Im an ex squaddie, and there is a subtle difference between a .177 and .22 air rifle when compared to a SLR, Gimpie or SA80.......

Ones a gun, the others an air rifle....THe comments about,,,,do you know what a gun can do to a person didnt really help the argument..........No dear...........I am an ex soldier, I have no idea....

My daughter is now 6. Ive been shooting for about 2 years. Condition was that she didnt know that I had one, it was kept out of the way, locked in case etc.....However as she was getting a bit older and daddy was going out "fishing" I thought that it was best to educate her about what I was doing.

I took the gun out and talked to her, she knows that she is NEVER to go anywhere near it, touch it, look at it etc etc when I am not there. She will happily sit there and ask me what the pigeon has been eating when we open the crop and are breasting...

Its always difficult, but its not like you are an idiot, you know the dos and donts. Ive just told the missus that I am going to get a gun safe............only because I want a shotty next...but she doenst know that yet.....And then my guns are going in there. out of the way and will be totaly safe...

Might take you some work, but they get over it after a while......Get her a handbag.........

Welcome to the forum Slider,

Tricky situation, one way to try and bring her on side is to ask her exactly what her objections are.....then point by point go through her list of objections and counter them with practical solutions (a bit like doing risk assessments really). You'll probably find that if you can get her to sit down and think about her objections there really won't be that many.

Best of luck

P03

Welcome to the forum Slider,

Tricky situation, one way to try and bring her on side is to ask her exactly what her objections are.....then point by point go through her list of objections and counter them with practical solutions (a bit like doing risk assessments really). You'll probably find that if you can get her to sit down and think about her objections there really won't be that many.

Best of luck

P03

:yp: pretty much what i did, but it still took some convincing :rolleyes: (she's coming round.....slowly) :sly:

a mate of mine is in a similar situation, but his is because of house space (he's been limited to 6 weapons :yes::good::sly: )

Blimey o reily, if this is something YOU as an adult are interested in ie shooting, wheather its pop guns or full bore, then why not? You are part of a partnership, ie working and supporting each other as well as the family. There shouldn't be any rules or stipulations that prevent outright your entitlement to your choice of hobby/sport/relaxation.

Everyone knows the rules concerning firearms and airguns in this house from a safety point of view, it's my hobby/interest. It just so happens that I like rifle/shotgun and airgun shooting, MY interest alone in this house, I don't go around banning activities for the kids or mrs because I don't agree with it! I'm not interested in the slightest in lots of their activities but don't lay the law down because of it

Together you stand divided you fall, get a grip and get shooting!

Cheers Cap

Some good tips already, best one (already mentioned) to list the problems. When someone "just doesn't like" something its very hard to argue agaisnt becuase the objector might well be less knowledgable and therefore feel threatened and just go "NO" - I see this a lot and its relatively simple to overcome.

I usualy find that compromise always wins, and that objections are normally about something else when it comes the gf or the wife. For instance mine didn't want guns in the house "NO WAY". After some feet stamping I got to the bottom of it, she wanted something doing in the flat before I started spending cash on guns. Obiously this was particular to my situation, but you could try a a random bit of diy she's been on about and then hit her with it, might work and its harder for her to say no :yes:

My dad bought me an air rifle when I was about 10, to show me about gun safety, correct handling and primarily so I had one and wouldn't be tempted to go and try and get hold of one on the QT. Learning the correct ways to behave, handle and respect any form of gun or weapon are important skills, something you could use to persuade the wife.

The thing I have found is don't dig your heels in, let it go a week or so and bring it up again naturally. If all else fails get one and play the "bargain, bloke was getting rid once in a lifetime I saved a fortune" card, just make sure she don't find the bill :rolleyes:

GL

Maybe if you bought a shotbun cabinet for the airgun? That way it would show that the burgular proof cabinet is ample protection from the kids. Might be overkill but you've gotta do what you've gotta do!

Dont forget to say she can keep all her jewellery and money in there as well :sly::sly:

Good luck

:rolleyes::yes::good:

Dont forget to say she can keep all her jewellery and money in there as well :sly: :yp:

Good luck

:yes::good::sly:

Lol, fair point. I had a safe anyway for the family silver / mrs pin's collection of sparkly things etc. As soon as she saw a propper safe it all moved into the locking top bit of mine.

Cow, I wanted to put me shells in there! :rolleyes:

Luckily I don't have an other half (yet lol) that moans about my shooting, both my parents just label me as a "gun nut" (as do some of my friends) but I dont mind, its in a good way lol and they don't mind. However, when out meeting girls etc I seldom ever mention anything to do with the air-guns etc because you can guarantee they won't like it (with the exception to one girl I ever met). lol, basically I just keep it low key :rolleyes:. And oh, I am planning on getting a gun cabinet for my air guns because they are quite valuable and I hate the idea of anything happening to them!

-Andrew

Thanks folks for all the comments,

Good to hear from someone like Mrs Slipster, just got to try and get her to read the messages.

Always planned to get a gun safe if I did get her round to my thinking, both kids under the age of four.

Lancs Lad good to hear from someone in my home town and having experienced my current predicament.

To everyone else thanks for the advice, will hopefully keep you posted.

Cheers

Slider

Problem is 2 kids and a wife who is reluctant to allow guns in the house. Any one else had problems like this and how did you go about changing their opinion.

Thanks in advance

hi slider... as other members are advising you to get a secure gun cabinet and maybe position it in the loft or far out of sight as possible. failing that tell the wife its either the guns or her....