Cleaning centrefire rifle bore.

gixer1

If you clean the barrel bore of your centre fire - does it normally take you a few shots to get it back on target? or is it immediately on the money?

Regards,

Gixer

depends on the quality of the barrel,some do some dont,mine do but there not standard barrels.its a case of suck it and see

I'm basically asking if anyone rezero's after cleaning their barrel...or if you just take it as ok?

Regards,

Gixer

Sorry, bit of a mis understanding, I take it as ok, It should be spot on. But sometimes before a big lamping session I will fire 1 or 2 rounds at a target just to make sure as you never know! Then there is no excuse for missing!

I deep cleaned mine once to remove the **** out of the bore, and regretted it. It used to group Privis 1/2" at 100 yards, but after the clean, the target looked like I'd pattern tested my 12 bore! It took about 8 or so shots to get it to shoot straight. Now, I just pull a boresnake through after every time I use it to remove powder residue :good:

I deep cleaned mine once to remove the **** out of the bore, and regretted it. It used to group Privis 1/2" at 100 yards, but after the clean, the target looked like I'd pattern tested my 12 bore! It took about 8 or so shots to get it to shoot straight. Now, I just pull a boresnake through after every time I use it to remove powder residue :good:

Exactly what I do! Spray legia spray down the pipe, stand it up and leave for 5 mins, 2 pulls through and finished!

that can happen with some rifle barrels you either have a good one or a bad one you wont know without a bore scope,but if the gun dont shoot after a good cleaning you alreay have the answer

the reason why some barrels dont shoot is the machining marks which are down the barrel,these strip copper off the bullets and make them do weired things,once the problem area is full of copper it settles down and shoots once more,this is why a match grade hand lapped barrel will shoot from clean.

another way to try and make the barrel shoot is from new is to run it in basically shoot one and clean one,this will iron out any machining marks

We all have different cleaning methods,some shooters find out the hard way, but in reality its in my opinion one of the best ways to learn.

If your unsure how your rifle will shoot once cleaned after say load development or target practice,take your cleaning gear to were you zero. After you have done shooting clean you rifle as you would normaly, then take the nessasary amount of shots to check your zero. Job done :good: in the cabinet zero'd ready for the next day/night out knowing its on the button :good:

intresting topic :hmm: having read the posts I recall zeroing my .22 hornet before christmas were the

grouping was lets say fair but i wanted better, so thinking it might be me not the scope I attached a strap

to my sling swivell as on my avatar to steady the shot a little more,went back out and it was a lot better.

I had cleaned the barrel before zeroing at christmas time and i've just cleaned it today so i will be watching

the outcome of the POI with these posts in mind..

Thanks for posts :good:

Good question- depends on the guns prefference and it can change over use and time. The .22 lr needs re-leading in following a clean 25 on the range and its sorted you might think zero is out on it but its just the groups are opened up as such its useable clean just not as spot on reliable a shooter. My centrefires all get cleaned and oiled after use, before use i swab them out with minralised meths swabs then dry patching, it is to this clean point they are zeroed as you can never maintain a level of dirtyness 100%. If the zero wanders from this point one should know to were and after how many and keep a check on it - like i say it can change, it certainly has with my own .243" which used to track steadily down shot after shot till it was 1 moa low, it now looses its grouping ability and might go high'low left right at random the muckier it gets