Jimny 4 wheel drive selection

DaveyTed

Excuse my ignorance.

I went to have a look at a Jimny with the push button drive selection but could not get the 4 wheel drive indicator light to come on.

It would come on for a fraction of a second as you turned the ignition off but that was all. The dealer seemed to know little about the operation and said " no problem - its still under warranty". Nice motor, nice price so can anyone tell me when the light should come on.

I understand you should be able to select 4 wheel drive high on the move but have to stop to change into low range.

Hoping someone can put me straight.

Thanks

Can't really directly help, as mine has the low range stick as opposed to button change. Certainly on mine, as soon as 4wd is engaged, the light comes on and stays on until it's disengaged. Can't see why that part would be any different on a newer model.

It it an independant dealer as opposed to a Suzuki dealer? I'd ask him to get it fixed if it's still under warranty, before seriously considering a purchase.

As above really, light should stay illuminated whilst engaged.

Manufacturer operation guide sticker should be located in cab somewhere near driver to explain how when to engage ,

Try looking behind the fold down sun visor - they sometimes hide it behind the visor :hmm: . :good:

If it's anything like the rev B Fronty switch, then you press it when moving (below 60 - the lower the better, or stationary) then the light will flash, and clunk she's in. The light will then stay on. If this doesn't happen, chances are there's a problem in the vacuum lines, or the solenoid itself. Generally an easy fix as vac hose is cheap, and the solenoids aren't too bad either.

It's a vacuum system on the Jimny so it will need to be driven for a bit for the light to start flashing, the vacuum pipes run along the driver side radius arms... :good:

EDIT - Sorry - I am talking about the older stick operated system although i would imagine its the same.... :good:

Edited by gixer1

Thanks very much for the replies.

I think the main problem is that the salesman knows as little as I do. Pretty poor really as it's a Suzuki dealership although has not got a workshop at that site.

I have agreed to see the car again when it's been in the workshop but I doubt anything wrong with it other than lack of familiarity.

Thanks again.

PS. On late cars can you get both the rear seat base and backrest out so you get a flat floor in the back? If so, how?

It's a vacuum system on the Jimny so it will need to be driven for a bit for the light to start flashing, the vacuum pipes run along the driver side radius arms... :good:

EDIT - Sorry - I am talking about the older stick operated system although i would imagine its the same.... :good:

Mine has the stick shift, and the light comes on straight away, even if engaged at a standstill. If you listen with the window open, you can hear it engaging.

Thanks very much for the replies.

I think the main problem is that the salesman knows as little as I do. Pretty poor really as it's a Suzuki dealership although has not got a workshop at that site.

I have agreed to see the car again when it's been in the workshop but I doubt anything wrong with it other than lack of familiarity.

Thanks again.

PS. On late cars can you get both the rear seat base and backrest out so you get a flat floor in the back? If so, how?

You just unbolt them mate, very easy, ten minute job.

Regards,

Gixer

:yes::good: