AYA no 3 for wildfowling

Thunderbird

Just wondering if anyone uses one and what you regularly put through it?

I've got an AYA no.3 magnum, choked at about IC. So far I've used my Remmy but it's heavy and a bit cumbersome.

A mate uses the same gun choked 1/2 and 1/2 and fires anything through it of suitable length. Its not proofed for anything but std pressure non toxic though consider there was no high performance steel about when it was built and as such its recomended you only use std pressure stuff. What you do is your own responsibility but if its in good order personally i would just use it

It will be ok mate, a few issues being you are restricted to 2 3/4 cartridges and it will be punished because of the mud/sand/salt. My old SxS was in good condition but after a few trips on the marsh it shows signs of wear.

If i was going to use it for my fowling gun i would consider using tungsten matrix or hevi shot, not as hard on the gun as steel and the 36g 3 in tungsten is a good allround cartridge for ducks and geese (within sensible distance)

Looking forward to getting you out next season :good:

Hi mate got the same gun I use it for wildfowl and had great succes even though it not stamped for steel it will be fine mines the 3 in magnum and put 36 gram of 1's and 3 shot no problems barrels are fine and it looks and feels traditional and it feels better and more satisfying when you drop a goose with it.

Mine's stamped 'Magnum' - just checked. I was pretty sure it was. That'll be a 3" chamber then?

should have 12/70 or 12/76 stamped on the barrel somewhere, usually on the underside

12/76 is 3inch

you should be fine with steel shot with having light chokes, but i would advise against any HP steel, better safe than sorry

many dont like it but i have had a tidy few good kills with 3inch magnum BISMUTH, the eley alphamax 46g BB, great goose load through light chokes(or so i found)

Take a can of decent oil when you go fowling and a towel, give it a quick dry and oil it before you set off home and clean the gun before you do anything else when you arrive home

Edited by TJ91

I have used my old AYAno3 (hence my name) on the marsh since I first started wildfowling about 30 years ago. I used all the normal steel loads and she was fine, if its got a beaver tail fore-end its almost assured its a 3" magnum but check on the barrels. it should be proofed to 1200lbs if its a magnum. Keep it well cleaned and lightly oiled and it will just as good as any other gun. I did have my barrels re-blacked once and stock re-oiled but I kept mine in tip top condition as it was my first ever gun.

You can always use Bismuth, its more expensive but does it matter as its not like we shoot off lots of shots.