What does "4x4" mean to you ?

Cranfield

Errrrr 4x4=16

Big difference between 4x4 and off road, seirra cosworth 4x4, imprezza 4x4, porsche carrera, ford transit 4x4, yet there are none 4x4 off roaders dune buggies, half tracks, tractors etc

Not sure of your thinking on this one HDAV, Sierra Cosworth 4x4, Imprezza 4x4, Porche Carrera are all high performance vehicles were the 4x4 system is to improve traction and road holding to gain extra speed. Ford Transit 4x4? that is in the same camp as Land Rovers and other off roaders, the 4x4 system is there to improve off road ability.

As for Dune Buggies surely they are just the Californian embodiment of style over substance.

Tractors are classified as any other wheeled vehicle, total no. of wheels x no. of driven wheels so most older tractors were 4x2 and most modern tractors are 4x4.

Half Tracks don't have any driven wheels so can't be classified as the other examples.

I think we all know which vehicles are the most suitable to get across a field in and which are likely to get you a bucketful of speeding tickets (not sure how much decoying gear you can get in an Audi A3 Quattro's boot :lol: ) The term 4x4 is a pure measure of the number of wheels and driven wheels, it is not a description of body style nor any indication of the use those wheels are intended for :yes:

Potter

My thinking was 4x4 is a statement of drive configuration not off road ability hence an A3 quattro is a much 4x4 as a defender but not as capable off road in standard form.... WRC cars are 4x4 and fast off road but so are none 4x4 rally cars

4x4x2 is common but 4x4x4 rare indeed and 8x8x8 rarer there are some 10x6x4 trucks mostly military jobbies

Edited by HDAV

To me 4X4 is my 1986 ex military (Royal Marine) camouflaged Landrover 90.

2.5ltr diesel without a blower.

A go anywhere do anything vehicle.

Everything I do in my advanced years is wrapped around that truck.

Wildfowling, lamping for fox and rabbit, gamekeeping, logging for the woodburners, mobile dog kennel.

Freedom!

4X4 = All four wheels powered at the same time.

Most owners of 4X4 cars wont go off-road due worries about paintwork getting scratched etc.

These vehicles have a use in the winter in the country but, in the main, they are a status symbol.

Strangely Nissan used to do the xtrail in 2wd, now its the Qashqui and the Juke, even more oddly you cant get a Juke diesel 4x4 only petrol.

Ford's Kuga is also available in 2wd and no doubt others are hidden away in there too.

:shaun:

Jeep are at it to there new compass come in 2 wheel drive . Thats the one they were pushing on the tv for 16k but you thought you were getting a 4x4 , they do a 4x4 one in diesel but thats not cheap at 26k for really what is a road car. I would hate to show it some mud

4x4 is a proper off road capable, landrovers, certain jeeps, shoguns, toyota's, ford superduty's, chevy's, GMC's etc

4 wheel drive is the same as all wheel drive, its just to aid traction, lambos are 4x4's yet I wouldn't expect to be outdone on the greenlanes or pay and play site by one

Jeep are at it to there new compass come in 2 wheel drive . Thats the one they were pushing on the tv for 16k but you thought you were getting a 4x4 , they do a 4x4 one in diesel but thats not cheap at 26k for really what is a road car. I would hate to show it some mud

Ford do that with the Kuga too don't they ?