What does "4x4" mean to you ?

Cranfield

So you see an advert for a vehicle and its described as a "4x4".

Does that suggest to you that it has a 4 wheel drive facility, fixed or optional, or do you think it means the body style ?

I ask the question as I made enquiries recently about a vehicle that was advertised as "4x4", but when I made enquiries it was clearly a 2 wheel drive.

When I drew this to the attention of the Sellers (Main Dealership), they told me it referred to the vehicle style, not its mechanical specification.

To me it means 4 wheels that are all powered at the same time from the engine when the 4x4 system is engaged. It does not refer to the vehicles style. I also hate when people go on about their off road 4x4 when what they have is a glorified car. If you want a 4x4 get a proper one e.g landrover, isuzu/mitsubishi/nissan pickup etc.

a propper 4x4 is a chunk of a motor with no gay girly plastic bumpers . the car market fools us , can you see a toerag driver banging it up a mud filled dyke ? no . a 4+4 has 4 doors and four seats , a 4 wheel drive is a rice grinding noise box from japan and a 4x4 is a work horse .

thats my defonition any way .

Its a difficult one, my Hyundai x35 is 4 wheel drive but thats for on road safety and a bit of easy off roading - a landrover it aint.

Body style is very car-like.

My view is the term 4X4 should refer to all wheel drive and the capability to off road in a fairly serious manner. You wouldn't call an audi quattro a 4X4 now would you ?

4x4, 4 wheels on the ground 4 capable of driving

4x2, 4 wheels on the ground 2 capable of driving

and some more examples

6x2, 6 wheels on the ground 2 capable of driving, Chinese 6, 2 sets of front axles and 1 rear, only the rear drive

6x4, 6 wheels on the ground 4 capable of driving, think 6 wheeler trucks and some landrover fire engines!

8x4, 8 wheels on the ground 4 capable of driving, think 8 wheel trucks

mpv would cover the type of vehicle they are trying to sell rather than 4x4

Doubt whether there is a legal definition of 4x4 but there is a generally accepted definition and body style it is not! The use of the XxXxX is a continuation of the Whyte notation for classifying steam locomotives by wheel arrangement. Whyte's system counts the number of leading wheels, then the number of driving wheels, and finally the number of trailing wheels.

When this is applied to other wheeled vehicles the first figure is the number of wheels and the second is the number that are driven. The correct description for the vehicle you were duped into seeing Cranfield was a 4x2.

This is true irrespective of the proposed use of the vehicle so an Audi Quattro and an i35 are as much 4x4s as a Defender 90 or 110.

Suppose there is potential for confusion with part-time 4 wheel drive systems both manually (deliberately) or automatically engaged. I think that if all wheel drive can is available at some time then the 4x4 description can be used.

Was it a Nissan Qashqui you went to look at Cranfield? Very popular and the image is definately urban soft roader but I think the vast majority are only 2 wheel drive.

Potter

NB

Please note;

1) I am not now nor ever have been a train spotter.

2) I did get my "Nerd" badge in the Scouts (!st Class)

3) Wickipedia is your friend!

Was it a Nissan Qashqui you went to look at Cranfield? Very popular and the image is definately urban soft roader but I think the vast majority are only 2 wheel drive.

potter

Strangely Nissan used to do the xtrail in 2wd, now its the Qashqui and the Juke, even more oddly you cant get a Juke diesel 4x4 only petrol.

Ford's Kuga is also available in 2wd and no doubt others are hidden away in there too.

:shaun:

Strangely Nissan used to do the xtrail in 2wd, now its the Qashqui and the Juke, even more oddly you cant get a Juke diesel 4x4 only petrol.

Ford's Kuga is also available in 2wd and no doubt others are hidden away in there too.

:shaun:

Even some of the new freelanders and one of the rangerover evoques is 2wd :yp:

What is it and what did it start of as ?

It is a Dakar kitcar. Which started life as a range rover classic with a very rotten body but good chassis and tuned V8 engine. It will shortly be fully road legal and tax exempt...

I brought it as a kit which had been on the road, but needed a full rebuild, that state is about 18months of on and off work... Its more complete now... I could have built a new one in half that time.... :oops:

Matt

It is a Dakar kitcar. Which started life as a range rover classic with a very rotten body but good chassis and tuned V8 engine. It will shortly be fully road legal and tax exempt...

I brought it as a kit which had been on the road, but needed a full rebuild, that state is about 18months of on and off work... Its more complete now... I could have built a new one in half that time.... :oops:

Matt

Looks good

There are some "Car Dealer" planks about,

4x4 = Four wheels, Four driving Wheels

2x4 = Four wheels Two of them Driving wheels

6x4 Truck = Six wheels Four of them Driving wheels ,

i assume it comes from the railway days 4-6-4 Four front bogie non driving Six driving wheels and a Four rear non driving bogie

No i'm not a Train spotter "Honest"

sacrilege!! I sure I read something a few years ago said by landrover saying they would never produce a 2 wheel drive car! What a lot of difference a few years makes! :o

Landrover did the series 2 in a 4x2, with just a plain beam front axle back in the 1960's

Oh ok,you learn something new everyday. was there any reason behind it? :hmm:

Series 1 and 2 versions were produced for the RAF for airfield use and IIRC the British, Danish, Dutch & Belgian Army among others. ( Think the Belgian may have been a Minerva variant though )

Edited by Rushjob

Series 1 and 2 versions were produced for the RAF for airfield use and IIRC the British, Danish, Dutch & Belgian Army among others. ( Think the Belgian may have been a Minerva variant though

Alot of the old 2wd ex Belgian Military LR's have found homes in Senegal and The Gambia.

Errrrr 4x4=16

Big difference between 4x4 and off road, seirra cosworth 4x4, imprezza 4x4, porsche carrera, ford transit 4x4, yet there are none 4x4 off roaders dune buggies, half tracks, tractors etc

Edited by HDAV