best pellet for rats

digger

Its a few years since I fired more than a few shots with an air rifle but the rat infestation in our yard has got out of hand. Ive borrowed a mates umarex 850 in 177 and zeroed it in at 20 yards. Will flat head pellets be ample or should I look at a specific type? I have pre baited a specific area and the rats are happily mooching around all day so the kill area wont vary beyond 20 yards. They are contentedly licking peanut butter from a strategically placed roof tile as they do all day.

Yep. Flathead or hollowpoint. The beauty is if you miss, they tend to stop very quickly when they hit any other surfaces too.

Just a rat-baiting tip I learned...if you start to have trouble getting them to come out, put some cat food (the pouch stuff) out for them on a bowl to eat and sit back a few more yards. They cant just grab it and run away...so have to sit there and eat it. Then you can pick them off...

-Andrew

no need to change pellets for different quarry. find the most accurate pellet for your gun and enjoy your shooting.

a rats brain is little more than the size of a pea, so accuracy is what stops them not gimmicky pellets.

.177 jsb exact is the most accurate/consistent pellet in my gun, and is more than a match for airgun quarry.