Great White Hunter?

Vipa

The usual game/vermin in the uk, would like a go at Sika, CWD, Munties and a Boar though....have been all over Africa and really couldn't shoot any of the big 5 even if offered for free....the last time i saw an elephant head mounted on a wall in Mozambique it just made me feel a bit sad as I spoke to a lot of the locals and a fair few elephants have been tagged with "pest animal" simply because certain areas recieve revenue from the hunt price if a pest elephant is shot - so they claim just about every elephant that comes near is a pest!

post-10812-0-51445400-1331900008.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say personally CWD are somewhat over rated, I've done it and enjoyed it but they are one of the easiest species to stalk. Nearly shot a sika in a very memorable evening stalk but it had recipe for disaster written all over it. If you want someone reasonable for sika Dunkield we have someone on here with some fairly unbelievable ground I can mention if you're interested. Just try and go when half the place isn't down to maize as the idea of a sika on the edge of a very large block of maize when you've had a morning stalk as well is a recipe for a late night :lol:

Yeah I have heard of boring CWD stalks before, the guy I know someone who shot a medal on ground where he just sat with his back to the M1 and waited for one trot along.

I guess it just as I have done the others it would be nice to do them sometime, more novelty than anything else, just like the continentals getting excited about Muntjac and us getting excited about boar.

That and I only have small 'trophy wall' so red/sika/fallow are out the question

I had a PM years ago from a member on here about shooting Sika in Ireland, that could be interesting, a lot of is the overall adventure not just pulling the trigger.

I think its the nature of CWD and living in the middle of fields in daylight that can detract. The one I stalked was on small blocks of willow coppice so they had more space to hide than most but they aren't quite as fun as Muntjac in their unpredictable way.

I might just buy the trophy I saw and say I shot it :lol:

To repeat my question further up in case it gets lost in amongst all this:

Quite a few mentioned boar shooting as as something they want do, what is stopping you? [and no I am not looking to start a boar hunting company]

reminds me of a house I went into with someone from here that belonged to an avid shooter who had shot everywhere, most walls had trophys on the reds and sika did make you duck and think if you were ever drunk there you'd run the chance of a very peculiar death under a trophy stags head

To repeat my question further up in case it gets lost in amongst all this:

Quite a few mentioned boar shooting as as something they want do, what is stopping you? [and no I am not looking to start a boar hunting company]

TIME! - to be honest I don't get nearly enough time on the ground i have at the moment so to go and shoot elsewhere seems like a distant thing at the moment!

So far on Roe doe's this year I have been out exactly ZERO times! and there are 15 days left.... :rolleyes:

I have a day on the reds to take as well that I have no idea when i'm going to get take due to work/family/other hobbies!

Regards,

Gixer

Too right.

I have just booked all my shooting and fishing days for this year, so now I know the balance of days left over for holidays :big_boss:

:lol::lol: if i tell SWMBO that a smelly deer is getting priority over here and the kids it'll be my head on a shield! :lol::lol:

Pigeon, Duck, Goose (Canada / Pink / Greylag), Fox, Roe deer, Crow, Magpie, Jay, Rook, Rabbit, Hare, Woodcock, Snipe, Pheasant, Partrige, Rats, one or two clays too but not too keen on that, much prefer the live stuff.

Muntjac

CWD

Fox

Hare

Rabbit

Rat

Pheasant

Pigeon

Squirrel

Partridge

Woodcock

Snipe

Pink-foot Goose

Mallard

Tufted

Teal

Wigeon

Crow

Rook

Jackdaw

Magpie

Jay

I would like to take the rest of the UK deer species, and boar.

I also would like to try dangerous game.

No Pintail or Gadwall? ...... your in a very good area

Ok... this is probably going to turn ugly but I feel the need to do it! And... I appologise if some of the responses are seen as distasteful!

So... after Harnser's eye opening thread and in particular one of the responses claiming to have 'shot it all' :blink: Who has shot what?

I hope to shoot my load at the weekend :lol:

Edited by pavman

TIME! - to be honest I don't get nearly enough time on the ground i have at the moment so to go and shoot elsewhere seems like a distant thing at the moment!

You do know Ackley has access to boar shooting in Scotland don't you? I am surprised you haven't been invited.

Some of the more exotic species . A number of pigs , sheep , a horse and several cows including a beautiful cross Charolais bull who was the daftest ,softest bull you could have come across . When I put him down my farmer friend had to walk away and have few minutes on his own . OH..nearly forgot a goat and a German Shepperd dog . Oh .. and 4 feral abandoned lurches .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Fox

Hare

Rabbit

Rat

Pheasant

Pigeon

Squirrel

Partridge

Woodcock

Mallard

Crow

Rook

Jackdaw

Magpie

Jay

and a very odd one, a MEERKAT :good:

It looks like it might get chance to shoot wallabies (over here) if all goes to plan :good:

Some of the more exotic species . A number of pigs , sheep , a horse and several cows including a beautiful cross Charolais bull who was the daftest ,softest bull you could have come across . When I put him down my farmer friend had to walk away and have few minutes on his own . OH..nearly forgot a goat and a German Shepperd dog . Oh .. and 4 feral abandoned lurches .

Harnser .

Yeah but how many were at 800 yards? I mean, if you can barely see your quarry with your naked eye then you're doing it all wrong old timer :lol:

I have to say personally CWD are somewhat over rated, I've done it and enjoyed it but they are one of the easiest species to stalk. Nearly shot a sika in a very memorable evening stalk but it had recipe for disaster written all over it. If you want someone reasonable for sika Dunkield we have someone on here with some fairly unbelievable ground I can mention if you're interested. Just try and go when half the place isn't down to maize as the idea of a sika on the edge of a very large block of maize when you've had a morning stalk as well is a recipe for a late night :lol:

neck shot :good:

Well I try to shoot

Geese

Duck

Pigeons

Pheasants

I keep telling the Wife and Kids I am the Great White Hunter but when i return empty handed they just laugth at me....

Im doing better on the fly at least i come back home with something to eat

But as like others what i really want to do is Wild Boar shooting, love to have ago just cash flow and other things take priority at the present time

O and my fishing dream is Ice Fishing

Edited by Spaniel

Oh I don't know, a lot of things over here and a couple in Africa.

But give me sitting in a hide pigeon shooting any day, sad I know.

Pavman, I have forgotten the Gadwall.

I have seen Pintail, and this season had three shots and missed one, although i have picked one up for another gun.

Sorry Pete, must try harder...........