Old Browning 325 or year old Miroku MK 60

brucegill

Hi Guys

Looking at upgrading my 12 gauge....

Budgets max £700 and thats stretching it to be honest.

Found a Browning 325 Grade 2 and a Miroku MK60 Universal Grade 1 (one year old).

Obviously the one that fits best would be first choice but I'm pretty new to this and it looks like they're much the same gun/maker??

I don't know how old a 325 would be (serial 41101NY) and when Miroku started making the Brownings?)

325 is multy choke and the MK60 is fixed 1/4 & 1/2 I think. I prefer the slimmer forend on the MK60 than the plank attached to the MK38

Shooting pigeon mostly with some sporting clays. No idea what trap and skeet are tbh. Enjoy the clays but they're just not as tasty as Pigeon!

I shoot a 28" but think I might try a 30" ?

Many thanks

Bruce

I think Miroku started making Brownings from the 325 on so yours is probably Miroku produced.

I believe the 325 was the last mass produced Browning to use the 'chopper lump' method of barl assembly which many reckon is/was the best way. I had a 325 until recently (32"), it was a cracking gun and had stood the test if time very well indeed.

Im afraid I know a bit less about the MK 60, but I'm sure someone will be along to help.

Iggy.

If I got it right the 325 was made in 1992, though I think you have partialy answered your own question in that you prefered the fore end on the MK60. I had a MK60 20 bore, which is a well built gun.

If you don't mind the MK 60 being a fixed choke gun I would go for it as long as it fits you well, mine was choked at 3/4 and 1/4, which I found the 3/4 was a bit tight for me as a newbie.

As mentioned the early Brownings barrels were not chromed internally, and could well be worth looking at the barrels to see what condition they are in.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

I'd not thought about chromed barrels. Would that make them OK for steel shot?

I'll double check about the choke sizes. As I'm a newbie and have only ever had fixed chokes I'm not all that sure about all of the choices TBH....

I thought the 325 are 70's, 425 are 80's and 525 90's but I'm not 100%

As far as I know, the MK60 wouldn't be proofed for steel shot, but neither is the fixed choke Browning B525 I bought new in January; all the fixed choke Miroku's I've owned have been 1/4 & 3/4; you can get the chokes opened out for not much money (Nigel Teague charged me about £30 per barrel). I believe steel is meant to be ok in anything upto and including 1/2 choke. I'd go for the MK60 - it will almost certainly have had less use.

Took this info from another thread about dating a browning, think Miruko's follow the same.

Nearly all Browning firearms manufactured after 1975 have two letters in the serial number. The two letters indicate the year of manufacture: M=0, Z=1, Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5, T=6, R=7, P=8, N=9.

There are lots of threads reguarding chokes, worth a search through reading them, on the various different opinions. I am still a newbie, myself I prefer m/c but a lot of the times I stick to 1/2 and a 1/4 unless shooting skeet whare I then change for the most open chokes I have.

I thought the 325 are 70's, 425 are 80's and 525 90's but I'm not 100%

nope that's wrong the b125 were miroku made as we're the citori there are also some miroku made Belgian finished B26/27 models the date code is definitive.

Fore ends vary within a style and arent all the same

what's wrong with current gun? The 325 isn't chrome lined but does have chopper lump barrels not mono blocks while older the 325 may for many reasons be the better, neither are likely to be steel proof.

As you your new, why not spend £7 on a round of trap or skeet ( clay disciplines) before buying a gun you already said your struggling to afford ???

nope that's wrong the b125 were miroku made as we're the citori there are also some miroku made Belgian finished B26/27 models the date code is definitive.

Fore ends vary within a style and arent all the same

what's wrong with current gun? The 325 isn't chrome lined but does have chopper lump barrels not mono blocks while older the 325 may for many reasons be the better, neither are likely to be steel proof.

As you your new, why not spend £7 on a round of trap or skeet ( clay disciplines) before buying a gun you already said your struggling to afford ???

The gun I've currently got, and my first gun, was £50 italian mid 60's unknown make etc... It's got looser the more it's been used and the occasional misfired shot on the bottom barrel. Now I've done some shooting and tried other peoples guns I've realised this one is way to short and also a little light for me. It's served it perpose to be honest and I'd keep it for chucking it in a tractor when I get the occasional driving work.

I'd like a single trigger and ejectors this time round. Not fussed what it is but felt I'd be better spending 700 on a gun that'll last a lifetime rather than 3-500 on something that won't or I'll want to upgrade. If I found a Baikel that fitted and covered the above I'd be happy tbh. I'm no gun snob but you can't argue with quality. But, it's been fun beeting a mate on the clays with his £2k gun :)

Thanks for clearing the Miroku made modles.

If you can think of other guns for less money I should seriously consider then let me know mate!

Lanber sporter deluxe is decent mid level gun can be had for £4-500 in good nick, some are keen on bettinsoli, nowt wrong with a miroku or a browning I have a 525 out of the 2 I would go for the 325 if in good condition either is a better gun than the lanber or bettinsoli. Beretta, Browning, Miroku dominate the market in the uk at the £1-2k mark.

Winchester select is another option.

Both very good id go for miroku just on the age of it really. Also if the barrels are stamped **- and*- I think you may find its actually 1/4 n 3/4. Miroku/ browning chokes arent the easiest system to read. Not seen any mirokus at 1/4 n half unless they had work done. Not trying to be a smart **** and correct you but wouldn't want someone buying a gun n thinking its something its not. Best of luck iv had 2 mk60's should never of sold the first one

Both very good id go for miroku just on the age of it really. Also if the barrels are stamped **- and*- I think you may find its actually 1/4 n 3/4. Miroku/ browning chokes arent the easiest system to read. Not seen any mirokus at 1/4 n half unless they had work done. Not trying to be a smart **** and correct you but wouldn't want someone buying a gun n thinking its something its not. Best of luck iv had 2 mk60's should never of sold the first one

Thanks mate. Yes your correct, 1/4 and 3/4. Just got an email from the seller to confirm it.

Got a stag do this weekend and moving house next week unfortunately. Hopefully it's still available when I'm all sorted!

Thanks for the help

Bruce

Lanber sporter deluxe is decent mid level gun can be had for £4-500 in good nick, some are keen on bettinsoli, nowt wrong with a miroku or a browning I have a 525 out of the 2 I would go for the 325 if in good condition either is a better gun than the lanber or bettinsoli. Beretta, Browning, Miroku dominate the market in the uk at the £1-2k mark.

Winchester select is another option.

Got a lamber sport deluxe for sale close to me so may go and check it though it looks a little over priced at £595.

Edited by brucegill

I would go for the Miroku. Suspect the 325 will look a bit better but as Gordon says only small issue with 325s is no chromed barrels until 2003 onward(which was late 425s).I have 2 425s 1 in 20g and a 12g,the former is non chromed the latter chromed,with cleaning after each time shooting never had any rust issues personally. Miroku MK60 is basically a fixed choked 425/525 with no Browning price premium and are fantastic guns.Vast majority 3/4 & 1/4,if 1/4 & 1/2 then I think that is another positive as frankly with a multi most end up with that combination anyway! £700 a very fair price as a new one would be @ £1200.I would be very surprised if you lost any money on it if you decided to change in a few years time either..

Whereas the Lanber would depreciate a bit I would think.

Atb.

I know nothing about guns as very new to shooting but i was lucky enought to pick up a Browning 325 that had very little work as it spent the last 15 years sitting in the gun cabinet, 28" barrels multi-choke. I know its my first gun but I love it and cant see me selling it. I know nothing about the MK60 but the 325 has 2.3/4" chambers so cant use some of the bigger cartridges in it.

Got a lamber sport deluxe for sale close to me so may go and check it though it looks a little over priced at £595.

They are £795 brand new so it would have to be high spec new in the box for £600

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/120126152259468

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110526165945001

If the Miroku fits and your happy with fixed choke then its not a bad price.

They are £795 brand new so it would have to be high spec new in the box for £600

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/120126152259468

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110526165945001

If the Miroku fits and your happy with fixed choke then its not a bad price.

Just nipped down to a local shop and tried a couple of guns out for fit. MK60 was nice but had a 28" barrel so felt a little light and not so well balanced... Browning Citory (?) was slightly nicer with a 30" barrel and multi choke.

Had a look at a Lamber sporting Deluxe and have to say, although not as well made as the MK60 and Browning it was not a bad gun at all. Fits well too!

Then stupidly I tried a Berreta Silver Pigeon 1 32" and wow! Second hand but mint (as it should be for the £1100 they wanted) now it's out of my budget unless I can sell a kidney but wow what a gun. Just felt spot on. And I normally find 32" to long for me.

Any how, at half the price second hand I thought the Lamber was not bad at all....

Might check the one out thats near me second hand. Or sell a kidney!

Cheers

Bruce