Tips on deer id.

Yeah, is that easy to spot at range?

depends how big :lol: :lol: me personaly can be spotted some considerable distance away :lol: :lol: :lol:

now being sensible and this not being my thing but i would look at images maybe google and study characteristics form and such but sure a stalking chap will be along soon to educate us both mate

regards

john

obviously the stag is the second one, but I guess you got that bit :lol:

I was out on my bike and saw this lot and more the other evening, when I got closer you could see the humps between the ears of the stags, but they may be at different stages at different parts of the country?

IMAG0240.jpg

Well i have been told that there are both stags and hinds have been seen.

Looking at the photos, would confirm my suspicions that what i saw this morning were all hinds. So when i get a look at the stag ill tell you what his headgear is doing.

They may be early this year with the mild winter.

Cheers

obviously the stag is the second one, but I guess you got that bit :lol:

I was out on my bike and saw this lot and more the other evening, when I got closer you could see the humps between the ears of the stags, but they may be at different stages at different parts of the country?

IMAG0240.jpg

Are those pidgons feeding on rape or stubble? :yp:

Generally Reds are in single sex herds, well at leats mature stags keep seperate from the hinds. The hinds will be in a group of mature hinds, followers and calves.

Not worth making a mistake at this time of year, I would imagine it is not pleasant gralloching a heavily pregnant hind.

To be honest don't shoot stags now. Any responsible stalker will wait till there in antler and be able to proffesionally age and decide on which to cull. Thats if your after the long term good of the herd not just shooting everything you see for meat money.

Try and find a local stalker who'll show you the ropes.

• 1 month later...