Squirel Hunt

Tod

Went to a big pine wood yesterday afternoon to thin some squirels out, had a great afternoon once the rain stopped, unbelievable how many trees they had destroyed, must have walked 5 mile chasing them about, we ended up with 1 crow, 2 pigeons and 17 squirels. :good:

post-53283-0-61676400-1334853761.jpg

Good job! :good:

What cartidges do you use for squiggles?

Are they any good to eat if you use a shotgun?

:good:

used 32g no6 and the few that i cleaned where fine, hard as nails, loads off shot just under the skin.

Well done Tod.Nice bag and nice gun too-is it the Xtrema?

its a beretta A391 Urika fella

used 32g no6 and the few that i cleaned where fine, hard as nails, loads off shot just under the skin.

its a beretta A391 Urika fella

I've noticed that myself. Hit them with no6 shot and when you skin em, loads of shot falls out. Just made it through the skin. No wonder sub twelve ft lbs air rifles don't stop em with body shots. :no:

• 4 weeks later...

Great bag! Squirrels tend to favour hardwoods in my experience but well done on getting them in a pine wood :good:

Yes they do. Large seeded broadleaved trees such as oak provide large seeds with high calorie content that Greys eat. Conifer seeds have less and it takes energy to open them (try to open a pine cone and you'll see), therefore Greys struggle to feed in conifers, though they still live there, obviously. I've caught Greys in conifers and they always seem to be a bit smaller than those in broadleaved woods.

Note: Reds are smaller so they need less food, so they can sustain themselves easier on conifers than Greys can.

We shoot dreys out every winter but we get few Squirrels. We got one Squirrel out of over 20 dreys earlier this year. Some years we have not got any Squirrels. We only seem to get them in traps.

A friend near Wensleydale gets several hundred a year.

Edited by Reece