Missed again

Thedeerman

I've missed two foxes on the trot now, the most recent last night.

I shoot off 3 leg sticks, there was a bit of excitment in the build up to getting the shot off, and found myself with a bit of a wobble on. The shot was probaby only just over 130 yards. I think i was putting a bit too much pressure on myself to get it killed as there are a lot of lambs about at the moment, and we caught a few glints of it before I got a realistic shot.

I went home chuntering and kicking myself with the lampman telling me these things happen! :mad:

Can anybody share some advice or tips for keeping the shakes at bay when shooting off sticks?

Short of being there and seeing what it is that is causing this "wobble" and the "misses" that you are experiencing this could be quite a hard one to answer and cure.

The first and most obvious thing is to check the zeroing of the rifle and scopes - I know that this is very basic but it is possible that you might have knocked the scopes getting the rifle in and out of the cabinet or during transporting it!

Assuming all is well with the zeroing of the rifle/scopes then I would get on with practicing shooting off the sticks. In this your stance is all important, especially your feet position! In my opinion you can never get enough practice to improve your marksmanship!

You do not say what type of sticks you are using. If they are adjustable for height and the terrain allows you to shorten the sticks so that you can shoot from the kneeling position. In this position you can rest your elbow on your knee which will give you a much more stable shooting position and "minimise" the chance of "wobble"!

Another thing to take into consideration is range! It is all too easy to misjudge your range when on the lamp, and I am sure that we have all done it at some time or other! You need to be able to assess your range to the target on the lamp just as easily as you can in daylight, something that comes with practice.

I doubt that this is too helpful to you but if it helps in the slightest then all well and good, but (In my opinion) much of it is down to practice, practice and more practice!

Just one final thought - Are these your first attempt at shooting foxes, if so you could try calming down a bit and not letting the "excitement" get to you - Easier said than done. I'm sure that we have all been through this when we got our first fox or two in our crosshairs with our heart pumping and the adrenaline running through our body, even if some are not prepared to admit it mate!

Just a thought - the most critical issue for me was the control of breathing (assuming all else reasonably ok). The adrenalin tends to massively increase heart and breathing rate so controlling the timing of the shot is the final problem before you slowly pull the trigger. My crosshairs would move off the target at 180 yds just by being in a fixed stance and breathing deeply. Its a mind thing probably - a bit too eager. Try a few 'dry' shots at targets at the same location and remember the routine when you take a live target.

Just a thought - the most critical issue for me was the control of breathing (assuming all else reasonably ok). The adrenalin tends to massively increase heart and breathing rate so controlling the timing of the shot is the final problem before you slowly pull the trigger. My crosshairs would move off the target at 180 yds just by being in a fixed stance and breathing deeply. Its a mind thing probably - a bit too eager. Try a few 'dry' shots at targets at the same location and remember the routine when you take a live target.

I totally agree with this! If you are realtively new to rifle shooting at live quarry or inexperienced with foxes on the lamp this is likely to be the biggest problem for you to overcome - Breathing and Heart Rate Control!

Maybe it would help if you could describe your "Breathing Routine/Breath Control" immediately before you take the shot, it could help us to give some better advice!

There are plenty of things you might be doing wrong, as said it could just be nerves.

Try shooting at paper using the sticks in the same position you're in when after foxes, as well as checking your zero it'll make sure your shooting in that position is OK. Are you standing/sitting or kneeling?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. I zero'd the rifle a few hours before I went out last night, so I'm pretty sure its cock-on. I was getting groups of about 3/4'' at 100 yards exactly where I wanted them.

I'm very new to fox shooting. Been lamp man for a while, but only got my FAC in January. I've shot 6 foxes on this particular piece of land already though. The farmers are really chuffed with me so far and I'm desperate to keep it this way.

Right, to my shooting technique. I shoot from standing, using the normal cheap adjustable tripod sticks. I've shot rabbits out to 120 yards off the sticks no problem in the daytime.

I think I may be messing up with my breathing and heart control. I tend to hold my breath as soon as I get the fox in the scope, as I want to squeeze on at as quick as I can then the wobble leaves me running short on breath as I'm trying to steady. My heart ends up pounding like crazy! God only knows what I'll be like when I finally get a deer in the scope.

I like the idea of shortening the sticks and Kneeling, I'll try that on some rabbits. Might end up getting the lamp man to carry a set of long sticks while i carry the short. :hmm:

know how you feel,went out last night,after shooting a few foxes over last month,best shot being 172 yds between the eyes,missed one last night at around 100/120 yds side on??? couldnt sleep last night thinking what went wrong,blamed bullets,barrel,scope ,everything lol,got to check zero again now to put mind at rest.and ive shot hundreds,dont get excited or anything,do wobble a bit on 2 legged sticks,but was on bipod last night as shot allowed it,and still missed,and i know cross was on fox,but there ya go it happens. :yp:

I've missed two foxes on the trot now, the most recent last night.

I shoot off 3 leg sticks, there was a bit of excitment in the build up to getting the shot off, and found myself with a bit of a wobble on. The shot was probaby only just over 130 yards. I think i was putting a bit too much pressure on myself to get it killed as there are a lot of lambs about at the moment, and we caught a few glints of it before I got a realistic shot.

I went home chuntering and kicking myself with the lampman telling me these things happen! :mad:

Can anybody share some advice or tips for keeping the shakes at bay when shooting off sticks?

You have my sympathy for being such a pants shot. :D but seriously though it`s easy for a number of things to go wrong, did you zero the rifle of the tripod? i know plenty who zero off a bonnet or prone and head position changes, also just pressure is a huge factor, breath grasshopper.

did you zero the rifle of the tripod? .

No, i didn't. I zero'd off bags sat at a table. Hmmmm. I'm gonna go and play with it again tommorrow and see how I get on shooting paper off the sticks at different ranges see if I can't get some confidence back.

Thanks for the input guys :good:

No, i didn't. I zero'd off bags sat at a table. Hmmmm. I'm gonna go and play with it again tommorrow and see how I get on shooting paper off the sticks at different ranges see if I can't get some confidence back.

Thanks for the input guys :good:

i bet that`s where your problem is then, alot of peoples mounting position is different when they mount off a rest and when on bags, i found this after experimenting, i now zero based on what i shoot from. good luck. :good:

Are we talking the bogpod super steady combo?bog pod

Looks interesting, you find it easy to use??

I dont use the super steady combo,just the standard bog pod with u shape top rest,they are very easy to use,and the build quality is superd,i bought mine from cabelas but im sure someone is inporting them to uk now.

Are we talking the bogpod super steady combo?bog pod

Looks interesting, you find it easy to use??

That's the one. Get them from Midway UK. Don't bother with the platform thing, just get the tripod if you're interested.

I use one all the time. Particularly useful for sitting shots from a fixed positin. They clack a bit, but easily overcome if you get used to carrying them with your fingers keeping the legs apart, like holding chopsticks.

To be honest if you're only using them standing and in the dark there's not much to be gained over a pair of Hazel sticks which are £125 cheaper, quicker to deploy and which you can angle towards you so that you're leaning into them. I find that steadies the stance up a lot. You can also slip your leading arm through the sling and tension it with your elbow.

I expect the problem is a combination of nerves and excitement causing you to break every rule in the book. If you're holding your breath everything goes to pot from there. You'll grip the rifle too tightly for one which only makes the wobbles worse. You'll yank the trigger trying to hurry the shot off as the reticle moves across the target. You'll probably flinch in anticipation of a miss and allow your eye to stray from the exact spot you want to hit, taking the rifle with it.

Good old fashioned practise is as likely to help as a new prop, as is reducing the range so you're shooting to your capabilities, which will steadily improve, rather than the rifle's, which will always shoot better than you can.

Edited by Gimlet

I expect the problem is a combination of nerves and excitement causing you to break every rule in the book. If you're holding your breath everything goes to pot from there. You'll grip the rifle too tightly for one which only makes the wobbles worse. You'll yank the trigger trying to hurry the shot off as the reticle moves across the target. You'll probably flinch in anticipation of a miss and allow your eye to stray from the exact spot you want to hit, taking the rifle with it.

Good old fashioned practise is as likely to help as a new prop, as is reducing the range so you're shooting to your capabilities, which will steadily improve, rather than the rifle's, which will always shoot better than you can.

:good: That sounds about right.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi re breathing , you should try taking the shot on exhale of breath whilst then holding a stare and your breath , this was how I was taught and when ignored I miss! try zero at an under ground range no wind g8 conditions etc , oh and change your cleaning brush reguarly , I hope this helps p.s I still miss one in ten!

Hiya,

did yodefiantlyly miss it ?I'm'm only asking as i had a similar experiencece a couple of weeks ago. The fox was about 80 yards out, I lined up on the engine room and let loose a 50 grain V-MAX from the triple the fox took to the air and hit the ground running like the cartoon cats. I couldn't believeve I had missed such a sitter.. there was not even the sound of an impact on it :( next morning I was back and found a dead dog fox with a clean hole right through the engine room lying nearly 150 yards away from where it was when I shot it... I'm still confused.com as to how it managed to run after being hit with the same shot that has dropped over 60 of it's mates on the spot.

Just another experience to confirm these things happen to everyone.

Out with a friend foxing we were watching an earth and I missed 4 consecutive shots at 150 yds. You can imagine what that does to your confidence. I decided to zero the scope and found one screw on the scope mount was loose -how I dont know.

Since fixing that and checking the group again at 150yds, I havent (touch wood) missed. I also made a tripod out of oak cut to just under an 3/4 of an inch and five feet long. However, the scissor V at the top was never easy to use as the rifle slipped one way or the other depending on how you opened the legs.

Bought a tripod from Uttings on the advice of Nickbeardo, £90 and the best I have ever used - swivel platform on top with a deep rubber coated V for the rifle stock. I find, like sharpshooter, I shoot best on a slow exhale, after regular but slower breathing.

Always give yourself chance to recover a bit after a long walk, e.g. uphill. This will allow you breathing rate to steady down. For some shots you will have a lot of time, for others less but never take a shot too quickly as you may not have fully checked the backstop. Best to let one go than let one fly !

Last fox we had was off a tree stump rest and it had been a while, so I sighted a bit too quickly and pulled slightly right. Fortunately my lamp friend kept the lamp on it as it ran away and after a quick cycle of the bolt I picked it up clearly, running nearly directly away and dropped it dead at just under 200 yds. I dont think thats exceptional it filled my 4-16 by 56 scope on 12-14 magnification. I'm sure you will do better when you have just 'settled' to the routine. I would also advocate 'rolling your own', reloading gives so much confidence.

Good hunting !

Edited by Kes

It certainly happens to me. I missed five rabbits on the trot the other night with the HMR. I checked the zero against an old forestry board that was buried in the hedge and it was shooting 4" to the left at 70 yards.

Then I remembered I'd knocked the rifle over at home a couple of nights before when it was leant against the wall and it fell onto the hearth with a bang. Should have made a note to check zero before using it again, but I forgot. Should know better.

Worst of it was the five rabbits were all out together and none bolted at the sound of the shot, and I missed the damn lot of them. Possible evidence that the sound of a bullet strike does indeed spook them more than the crack of the shot.

I agree with sethb - get a bipod - get on the ground - I use the 9-13 " - get yourself set up with your left hand under the right and holding the end of the stock. As far as breathing goes squeeze the round off when you exhale - nice and steady does it. Good luck mate - Bigrob

:good:

• 3 weeks later...

Shot one tonight!! (after missing another two since the original post!)

It wasn't a long way off, maybe only 80 yards. It was tucking into a dead lamb in the middle of a field and at first we didnt realise it was a fox, thinking the eye was coming from the sheep it was eating. You have to be careful on this piece of ground as there are eyes everywhere!

I have to say it was mostly down to the new sticks that I made for myself last week out of some B and Q canes, four legged jobbies. I new before I pulled the trigger that it was dead and it moved about 5 yards and was on the deck with a 35 grain v-max through the chest. I could have taken its whisker off on these new sticks. They take a little longer to get your aim and a little longer to set up, but they are rock steady.

Thanks for all the advise, hitting this one has done wonders for my confidence.

Joe