Why deer should always be followed up.

yds

Great video to show John , imagine if that buck had been on the edge of cover?

Not all shot animals react to the shot, I have seen this also with foxes shot with a .243

After reading rubbish on here recently about if an animal is shot with a rifle it is automatically dead I hope certain people learn from this clip.

I once shot a buck in the lungs and it just stood their as if it had been missed, so much so my mate was ribbing me about a miss and took the rifle to shoot it when it eventually dropped down dead. This was probably around 30 seconds after my initial shot. :yes:

If you are in the field enough like yourself you soon realise and prepare for all sorts of events that are out of the ordinary !!

Cracking example why every shot needs a follow up of a kind.I have a mate who used to go shooting with his brother in law and told me that the BIL used to miss loads of roe on the edge of this wood.His missus didn't like him having a gun in the hoose so he gave up his firearms and I got onto this place and it had loads of roe on it.One day nay long after getting on,I went a walk just inside the wood with the old fella and found 6 roe remains all within 20 yards of the woods but obviously spread oot more than that.He had shot it for a few years so there would have been many more than that.Its something that should be drummed into new stalkers,because as your clip shows you can't always rely on the reaction to shot.

Thanks for showing the video John.

My first thought was .243 and 100gr soft point, i had that reaction (or lack of it) a few times when i shot that calibre/bullet

I am suprised that happened with a 6.5x55, not had that happen with me yet, but its a lesson learned. :good:

What cartridge was the original deer shot with?

I shot a red hind that showed no reaction to the shot at all and was consequently shot again after observing it.

When gralloched the first shot was bang on but passed straight through with no visible expansion.

I have never seen that before or since - that was a 140grn Federal Powr Shok.

What cartridge was the original deer shot with?

I shot a red hind that showed no reaction to the shot at all and was consequently shot again after observing it.

When gralloched the first shot was bang on but passed straight through with no visible expansion.

I have never seen that before or since - that was a 140grn Federal Powr Shok.

My estate rifle 6.5x55 139gr sp which did expand well and has taken 100's of deer cleanly.

Hi

In Scotland I have shot a totally unaware Roe buck not 70m away with a .270W, 130grn Federal sp, which run off as if nothing happened and a clean miss. Evidence of the strike was just a few drops of blood - horrible feeling.

Brought up the 'boys' (a friends Springers) who found him some 30m into plantation.

On inspection the bullet had not expanded as had gone between ribs on both sides.

Sometimes, hopefully very rare these things happen.

As John R says - very important to do an exhaustive search before concluding a miss.

L

This is precisely why I think anyone shooting at extended ranges are being silly....all it does is make the follow up or finding all the harder....glad some of the spouting has stopped recently! :good:

It's a horrible feeling when they do that, I have had a few that have run on and you look at the rifle and start to doubt it and the shot...

No better feeling when you find them!

Cracking vid mate.

Regards,

Gixer