First shot gun

Will Poon

Hi all, my first post here . I've just started shooting at my local club and I'm eagerly waiting for my shotgun licence, I've Been looking around for an over and under sporter

. There is so many to choose from,I'm narrowing it down to a browning 725 sporter,or cynergy back ice composite , anyone have any suggestions , looking to spend around £2000.00 for new or second hand but if it's something that stands out maybe £3000.00, suggestions please :D

Shoot plenty before you buy, and I would suggest buying used for a first gun as you wont loose much when you decided to trade, The cynergy is a marmite gun love it or hate it and as such can be tricky to move on.

How much shooting have you done?

Don't Dismiss Beretta (although I am Browning man), Miroku part of Browning or at the top end of your budget Ceaser Guerini (sp?), Zoli, or a host of other makes.......

Edited by HDAV

I second the buy a cheap seconhand over/ under to start with and then after 6-9 months you will really understand what you want.

Most clay grounds have members who will willingly let you do a round with there gun to try it out and your price range opens up a vast array of guns both new and secondand

thats a fair chunk of cheese to be spending on a first gun, i would look at things like a second hand beretta 686E, maybe a 682 gold E, miroku MK38 sporter, or browning 325 or 525 to start off with, but if you can... try try before you buy.

good luck.

lee

Shoot plenty before you buy, and I would suggest buying used for a first gun as you wont loose much when you decided to trade, The cynergy is a marmite gun love it or hate it and as such can be tricky to move on.

How much shooting have you done?

Don't Dismiss Beretta (although I am Browning man), Miroku part of Browning or at the top end of your budget Ceaser Guerini (sp?), Zoli, or a host of other makes.......

Hi there I've only done a few weeks worth of clays, but many many years ago it was pistol and rifle shooting :)

Thanks all for the replies, I'm a person that want a great looking gun that stands out from the crowd, regardless if I can hit the clay or not :lol: , but I see all of your points, I did shoot about 20 years ago mainly field target rifles Daystates and Ripley rifles, I will shoot as many of my club members guns before I take any decision, by the way my mum thinks a shotgun cost £200.00 :lol:

:yes:

if your determined to spend shed loads of cash, id go for a beretta DT10, a grade 5 miroku MK38, caesar guerini maxum,Browning Prestige, all very nice guns.

lee

ps,

and i dont mean buy all the lot :lol::lol:

I see what you mean about a shed load of cash but what's expensive to some is ok to others, if that makes any sense ! :/

Was fondling the Browning 725 in my local RFD the other day. Came up really nicely (the gun I mean!) and just looks great in my opinion. If I was going to throw a chunk o' change like that about I would definitely take a long look at the 725. It would also leave you with enough change for a slab of carts, gun slip, cleaning kit etc from your 2 large.

Oh and btw. Yer mum's right! Plenty of boys cracking just as many clays with beaten up old lambers and the like for a couple of hundred quid as those with the a small mortgage in their slip! :good:

At the end of the day its just 2 metal tubes regardless of all the fancy trimmings! Its the man behind the tubes that points them in the right place, after all, all guns kill!

Yeah right.

Can't see the olympic winners podium dominated by Baikals and Hatsans though. Can you? :hmm:

Yeah, but when you get to the top level in any sport you get what you pay for. Any old fly rod will catch trout etc, but when you have a Sage, Loomis, Orvis, Hardy, Grey's etc in hand what a difference. Same goes for shotties up to a point - forget the fancy engraving from a kill point of view - I find Betinsollis for instance balance too muzzle heavy for me. Much of a muchness in the Beretta, Winchester, Browning line - a Silver Pig just feels so nice.

Yeah right.

Can't see the olympic winners podium dominated by Baikals and Hatsans though. Can you? :hmm:

If you had all the major gun makers queuing up to give you guns, you'd probably take the best offered. It doesn't mean that the cheaper ones aren't any less good, they're just cheaper.

As to the OP, by all means spend 2-3k on a gun, there are many nice guns out there and you can find something you'll like within that budget easily enough!

However, if I were starting out, I'd be buying a cheaper gun (such as a £200 Lanber/Baikal, or if I really wanted a bit more on a fancy name, and I'd make sure it fitted well), then spend the remaining couple of thousand on a few lessons and a few thousand practice cartridges if need be, as that would make me a great shot with a cheap but effective gun, instead of a poor/average shot with an expensive gun.

That's just my advice anyway.

If you had all the major gun makers queuing up to give you guns, you'd probably take the best offered. It doesn't mean that the cheaper ones aren't any less good, they're just cheaper.

As to the OP, by all means spend 2-3k on a gun, there are many nice guns out there and you can find something you'll like within that budget easily enough!

However, if I were starting out, I'd be buying a cheaper gun (such as a £200 Lanber/Baikal, or if I really wanted a bit more on a fancy name, and I'd make sure it fitted well), then spend the remaining couple of thousand on a few lessons and a few thousand practice cartridges if need be, as that would make me a great shot with a cheap but effective gun, instead of a poor/average shot with an expensive gun.

That's just my advice anyway.

Yeah right.

I'm thinking of taking up mountain biking.

I've got the cash to buy a decent bike with aluminium frame, full suspension, shimano gears and hydraulic discs front and back.

But what the hell eh, I think I'll get a Raleigh Chopper and spend a shedload on a good coach to tell me why I keep falling off!!

Afterall, a bike's a bike at the end of the day. <_<

Never mind all the fancy names if the gun doesnt fit you then you wont hit a thing then you will get peed off and leave shooting,go to a place that will sell you a gun after trying for fit the cash price is immatreial hitting targets is all there is to it Bm

Apparently gun fit isn't important for a first gun, you just need to buy the prettiest one you can afford :rolleyes:

Edited by chrispti