Shooting Bags/Cushions-Polystyrene.

bullet boy

You could get a few Polystyrene ceiling tiles and rub them together to make the granules I suppose. Not the ideal way of getting them though.

How about dried peas? I made a small bag once, and used these as a filler.It did the job well, and as they are larger than grains of rice/polystyrene, it does'nt take many to fill the bag.

Another option would be to stuff the bag with offcuts of material, if you can get it into the bag itself. I'm not sure what type you have. I have a cushion type bag that I made out of old camo trousers, and stuffed the inside with offcuts of material. Then I (well the wife) stitched it up and it worked well.

Finally, you could always fill the bag with expanding foam, but would then lose the flexibility.

Steve.

You could get a few Polystyrene ceiling tiles and rub them together to make the granules I suppose. Not the ideal way of getting them though.

How about dried peas? I made a small bag once, and used these as a filler.It did the job well, and as they are larger than grains of rice/polystyrene, it does'nt take many to fill the bag.

Another option would be to stuff the bag with offcuts of material, if you can get it into the bag itself. I'm not sure what type you have. I have a cushion type bag that I made out of old camo trousers, and stuffed the inside with offcuts of material. Then I (well the wife) stitched it up and it worked well.

Finally, you could always fill the bag with expanding foam, but would then lose the flexibility.

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve.

I have the "Fatbag" Bench Bag.It's an excellent bit of kit that can be used instead of your bipod for Target Shooting.

I initially filled my bench bag with cat litter and it weighed in at 14KG :o

I since refilled it with used case cleaning media and cut the weight by more then a half :good:

I have been looking at the polystyrene pellets on ebay but they are sold by weight and its difficult to get an idea of how much i would need due to not having any idea of their density

Ian.

BB - are you in a rush?

I will be down in Crynant middle of next month - I can drop you off a HUGE and I do mean HUGE bag of them - I have 2 HUGE bags and one will last me a lifetime I think!!

MIke

Hi Mike,im in no rush at all.I'll take some off you if thats ok please mate.Let me know when your down mate?

Thankyou.

Thanks to all of you thats commented.

Got a good DIY idea off a friend in the states recently, take a pair of old hillwalking/football socks and push a hand towel into it, pull the open end across the filled bit and put a zip tie round the middle to hold it in place and create a valley in the filled sock.

Then pull the other sock the opposite way over the whole lot and voila! A shooting rest.

The one my friend made also had a piece of ply 3" by 10" put in place before pulling the second sock over to give it a flat edge.

They really do make good shooting rests and when taking a shot if you put your hand on the left bulge as you are aiming it feels remarkably like a jumper covered boob! :lol: