measuring choke size

bigman

Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly obvious that there are certain individuals that are posting way beyond the capability of their brain to keep up.

Bigman, a sensible question that you're right to ask. As you've had to, it's probably fair to say that you haven't got the proper kit to do it yourself. Whereas a pattern test is the ultimate answer (who's to say that the barrels haven't been 'fettled' since they were stamped), your local RFD/gunsmith will do it in a couple of seconds and if you're a regular customer (where did you get the gun?) he probably won't charge.

If you get one of those gauges, would you let me have it as I use them for their intended purpose - fishing weights!

If you get one of those gauges, would you let me have it as I use them for their intended purpose - fishing weights!

Unfortunately this is very true as those gauges are only of any use if you know for sure that your bore is a true .729.

choke is measured by constriction.

10 thou of constriction is ¼

20 thou of constriction is ½

30 thou of constriction is ¾

40 thou of constriction is full

If the bore is .724 for instance and you use that gauge, and it shows ½ choke, then the real choke would be more like 5/8 due to the bore being 5 thou smaller thus making the constriction at the choke 5 thou less than if you were measuring a normal .729 12g.

Conversely if your bore was slightly oversized with a bore of .734 then the choke would be @ 3/8 due to the constriction being 5 thou more.

I'm off to lie down now as I have a headache. :huh::huh:

G.M.

Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly obvious that there are certain individuals that are posting way beyond the capability of their brain to keep up.

That's not very nice.

I told him that he could buy a gauge for it. I told him that a RFD could measure it. I told him how to find out accurately if he really wants to.

I also pointed out that in many cases it's not that important to accurately know the choke, but I've explained how to, which is what was asked.

Unfortunately this is very true as those gauges are only of any use if you know for sure that your bore is a true .729.

choke is measured by constriction.

10 thou of constriction is ¼

20 thou of constriction is ½

30 thou of constriction is ¾

40 thou of constriction is full

If the bore is .724 for instance and you use that gauge, and it shows ½ choke, then the real choke would be more like 5/8 due to the bore being 5 thou smaller thus making the constriction at the choke 5 thou less than if you were measuring a normal .729 12g.

Conversely if your bore was slightly oversized with a bore of .734 then the choke would be @ 3/8 due to the constriction being 5 thou more.

I'm off to lie down now as I have a headache. :huh::huh:

G.M.

this^

They use a bore gauge of such in the gunsmiths, had mine checked this week.

its a long rod they poke down the barrel, twist the end so it expands in the bore, and measures the width, then slide it out and see what the taper or restriction is... simples ;)

very accurate piece of equipment though

mine has FULL written on the barrel but had been opened out to half choke, but when measured it had a 13thou restriction, so in between a 1/4 and 2/4, nice happy medium hopefuly....

it was free and didnt take long, at my friend Local gun smiths

Guest cookoff013

best thing to do is get a smith to mesure the bore, and the choke, then you have a "extremely accurate" mesurement.

if thats all you want, thats fine. then at some stage pattern it.

best thing to do is get a smith to mesure the bore, and the choke, then you have a "extremely accurate" mesurement.

if thats all you want, thats fine. then at some stage pattern it.

thanks to all your replys guys , ill run it in the shop at the weekend and see if i can get in checked :good:

Edited by bigman

Indeed. If you use a "fishingweight guage" on my barrel, it'll lead you to believe that's tightly choked.

In fact, the manufacturer tells me that these barrels are TC *but* under-bored at .690" all the way down... (It's a slug gun.)

Regards,

Mark.

Indeed. If you use a "fishingweight guage" on my barrel, it'll lead you to believe that's tightly choked.

In fact, the manufacturer tells me that these barrels are TC *but* under-bored at .690" all the way down... (It's a slug gun.)

Regards,

Mark.

In which case the chokes would actually appear to be very open due to the fact that the restriction would be almost nil. ;);)

G.M.

On the same note, multi chokes..... my beretta is mobil chokes, as is my friends, however the barrel diameters are both 0.1mm different, therefore im thinking that if the chokes are all interchangeable and made separate then a half in mine may not be the equivalent in his?

In which case the chokes would actually appear to be very open due to the fact that the restriction would be almost nil. ;);)

Sorry - I must've missed something, here.

I couldn't actually follow the guage link and assumed that it cited the "stepped brass cylinder" type of guage.

If you use one of those to measure the choke, it *appears* tightly choked (.730->.690) but it's really TC. (And, "yes", it has quite a wide pattern...)

Regards,

Mark.

On the same note, multi chokes..... my beretta is mobil chokes, as is my friends, however the barrel diameters are both 0.1mm different, therefore im thinking that if the chokes are all interchangeable and made separate then a half in mine may not be the equivalent in his?

If you are going by what is stamped on the barrel , Then that measurement is the bore 9" from the breech face and not just before the choke.

Edited by Andy H

I've got an old Beretta 687 mobil choked gun. My top barrel is stamped 18.4 and the bottom 18.3 and I had the same thoughts about choke constriction between one barrel and the other using the chokes supplied with the gun.

However, I've had the bores measured exactly and the top is, working in thou of inch, .726" and the bottom .724" the .002" difference isn't going to make the slightest difference to what pattern the gun throws as there's a greater variance between each cartridge.

The only way to satisfy youself regarding the pattern each choke is throwing is to test it on a pattern plate, as previously mentioned.

Teague gives some info on different gun barrel dimensions and choke constrictions here: http://www.teagueprecisionchokesltd.co.uk/reference_chart.html

I have noticed that the Beretta chokes when I've measured them actually don't correspond to the dimensions given in the chart, some are tighter and some are more open, that doesn't surprise me as they are mass produced. I've also got some Teague extended chokes and they measure exactly as the chart dimensions and these are what I prefer to use.

Bigman, a sensible question that you're right to ask. As you've had to, it's probably fair to say that you haven't got the proper kit to do it yourself. Whereas a pattern test is the ultimate answer (who's to say that the barrels haven't been 'fettled' since they were stamped), your local RFD/gunsmith will do it in a couple of seconds and if you're a regular customer (where did you get the gun?) he probably won't charge.

well said wymberley :good: :good: i,m very surprised he hasnt been asked has he got a SGC quite amazed actually, :lol: :lol: :lol: i took mine to the gunsmiths at the clay ground it only took him 2 mins to tell me what they where and didn,t charge me either

Edited by evo