Anybody send their kids to private school

fuzzypigeon

My parents talked about me going to the "local" private school but I ended up at the "better" high school instead and did ok for grades..I played rugby with a few that went to the private school and I looked at some of their workload and I knew it would not be for me...

Both of us came out with the same GCSE grades :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are very lucky as the primary school my 2 boys go to was rated 47th out of 17000 in the country. We are also in catchment for a very good high school.

One of the local private schools is £20,000 a year. A friend of ours teaches there and it will only cost £30,000 a year with discount for both of their girls!

Out of my budget unless the grandparents want to pay.

Harry

I had the conversation with my father when I was 11 about which school. Both my parents where blue collar workers, money was tight and I would have needed to wim a place.

I opted for the local comp, I didn't want to leave my mates. I made some good friends but 20 years after leaving don't have regular contact with any of them, we've all gone our seperate ways.

I left school with 5 GCSE's C or above, served an apprenticeship in engineering gaining NVQ 3.

University was never viewed as a viable option, little knowledge of the system as no one in the family had ever been. My father had been made redundant so financially there was no support. I consider myself of a reasonable interlect, but often find the lack of a degree restricts my options when making career decissions.

I do from time to time think about the path not taken and how life could have been different.

I do think from speaking to friends who are teachers and parents that in some schools the number of pupils with literacy standards below what is expected, is a problem. Many may have english as a second language or may be from the travelling community and extra effort is dedicated in trying to bring these upto speed, subsequently neglecting the brighter pupils.

I thing the make up of society has changed from when I was at school, and If we have kids and there is anyway I could afford it I'd be looking outside the state system.

You don't have to be rich to send your kids to private schools.

A little known fact that they all have bursary schemes available so that they can gain charitable status and get tax reliefs. My eldest is going to a very good prep school in north Norfolk with a 75% bursary and my second is due to start next term but with a scholarship.

I'm not minted but knew to ask the right questions and was lucky enough to be offered the 2 positions at a very good rate.

The eldest loves the school, even having to go in on a Saturday. He is doing very well from it to and is top of his class in mark and achievement grades. His last state school was just aweful, he hated it and was failing most subjects and his reports were poor. Just shows!

Worth an ask anyway.

Steve

The clear thing from many of the excellent replies in this topic is that the child's own ability, motivation and personality are some of the main factors.

A mate of mine has all his three kids at a £14,000 a year school, all paid for by grand parents (wife's parents). He can't possibly live up to the lifestyle and as the years go by 'status' is going to be an issue for him, I know it is.

I feel quite sorry for him really, gilded cage and all that.

The clear thing from many of the excellent replies in this topic is that the child's own ability, motivation and personality are some of the main factors.

A mate of mine has all his three kids at a £14,000 a year school, all paid for by grand parents (wife's parents). He can't possibly live up to the lifestyle and as the years go by 'status' is going to be an issue for him, I know it is.

I feel quite sorry for him really, gilded cage and all that.

I think if you start private education early enough then the motivation and personality of the child is somewhat driven by being in that environment from early days. To a lesser extent as does ability. I believe every child is good at something. What private schools are good at is letting them excel at the things they are good at and helping them with the things that they are less good at.

I also think that the background/financial status of the parent is only a problem if you let it be and most of the issues with other parents is simply that some people are nice individuals and others a obnoxious individuals. Nothing to do with money. If you keep the children level headed then it shouldn't be a problem.

My limited experience of private education (my children are only 6 & 7 and I was state educated) is that they are very good at equalising puplils - Uniform is strictly enforced, there are no extra expenses - dinner, trips etc are all included etc. The only time you get a sense of money is if visiting other peoples' houses, the car they drive and the holidays that they take. But even then it isn't a foolproof indicator.

In a nutshell if you can afford to pay for private education then do it - the advantages outweigh the dissadvantages. If you can't or don't want to then don't beat yourself up over it.

I think if you start private education early enough then the motivation and personality of the child is somewhat driven by being in that environment from early days. To a lesser extent as does ability. I believe every child is good at something. What private schools are good at is letting them excel at the things they are good at and helping them with the things that they are less good at.

I also think that the background/financial status of the parent is only a problem if you let it be and most of the issues with other parents is simply that some people are nice individuals and others a obnoxious individuals. Nothing to do with money. If you keep the children level headed then it shouldn't be a problem.

My limited experience of private education (my children are only 6 & 7 and I was state educated) is that they are very good at equalising puplils - Uniform is strictly enforced, there are no extra expenses - dinner, trips etc are all included etc. The only time you get a sense of money is if visiting other peoples' houses, the car they drive and the holidays that they take. But even then it isn't a foolproof indicator.

In a nutshell if you can afford to pay for private education then do it - the advantages outweigh the dissadvantages. If you can't or don't want to then don't beat yourself up over it.

Spot on post.

I've dropped my eldest off to some serious houses for birthday parties. One them they went and canoed on their private lake! The other was at holkham hall! Those in Norfolk will know that one! My boy takes that in his stride though and for his birthday we are taking some of his mates bowling and to the cinema! (cos they are not coming to our house!)

I think if you start private education early enough then the motivation and personality of the child is somewhat driven by being in that environment from early days. To a lesser extent as does ability. I believe every child is good at something. What private schools are good at is letting them excel at the things they are good at and helping them with the things that they are less good at. Couldn't agree more

I also think that the background/financial status of the parent is only a problem if you let it be and most of the issues with other parents is simply that some people are nice individuals and others a obnoxious individuals. Nothing to do with money. If you keep the children level headed then it shouldn't be a problem. Sureley its the state schools where everyones so woried about what car you have in the car park , when people graduate from new money to old money they pick up a complete disregard for what battered old motor they drove the kids/were driven to school in.

dont expect the advantyages to be rated in school grades but in the social skills, confidence and leadership skills your kids leave with.

The old money opinion is if you can't afford it all is spend the money on the early years education and turn them out in the local grammar/comp later if you must.

Some, no, all great replies to this thread. No matter which way the op goes on this remember that the best education you can give your children is totaly free! at the end of the day all the basic life skills come from mum and dad. I know plenty of average kids that have gone on to do great things with strong family backing. For sure top schools will in most cases push them to their best,as a parent with a little time and effort no matter what, you can get them to a better than average level.

Remember this conversation from last week and my statement below

I mentioned in a previous post though about the 'goody bags' given away at birthday parties - £60 boxes of lego for example. My daughter (6) attended one of her classmates birthday parties recently and the 'goody bag' was a £70 pair of converse trainers! Work that one out. This child is one of the grandchildren of the founder of a national high street chain of shops so they are not short of a few quid (although they are probably doomed to go broke after that statement).

Well which company goes in administration today? Clinton cards. Does anybody want next weeks winning lottery numbers?

Remember this conversation from last week and my statement below

Well which company goes in administration today? Clinton cards. Does anybody want next weeks winning lottery numbers?

I blame that goddamn funky pigeon! :lol: