Wounded birds

:angry: I was out last night 'ambushing', I took a shoot at a bird

crossing quickly which I'd only picked up at the last minute.

As I fired he must have seen the gun move(although it may have been my ugly mug peering over my poor excuse for a hide)

I saw him drop but he was still flapping, I don't like leaving a injerd beast to die so I went to find him,

When I came across it, I was unsure of the best way to dispatch it, I tried unsuccessfully to brake it's neck, but unwilling to put it through any further pain I grasped it around the neck (cutting off it's air flow) and struck it on the head with a rock.

Is this acceptable do you think or is there a better way...

For anyone who feels this is mindless violence, it's now in the fridge in a cajgon spice dip and I'll be eating it tonight :angry:

To despatch a wounded bird I hold the body in my left hand (preventing the wings flapping) and put my first two fingers either side of its neck.

I then pull my hands gently apart (not pulling its head off),maintain the pressure and "strangle" the bird.

Doesn,t sound very nice, but it works and is humane.

If anyone has any other methods that don,t involve rocks, clubs, machines etc. I would be interested.

Malc, I tried that method on a wounded bird today and I couldn,t find "a notch in the spine".

I pressed the whole area from the neck down, but nothing went "crunch" and the bird didn,t die.

In fact I think it quite enjoyed the "massage" I was giving it. :angry:

What am I doing wrong (apart from shooting at long range pigeons) ?

I must admit, it does take a bit of practice. I can't really expand on my earlier description. Several of my friends use this technique which, is affectionately known as the "Vulcan death grip". (And no, I am not a Star Treck fan!)

Anybody would feel sorry for a wonded bird when my dog gets hold of it!

Do any of you lot just shoot them again from the hide if they fall wonded near enough?

I do all you got to do is aim on the ground underneath them to alow the gun to kick up.

Your bound to hit them.   :angry:

:angry:  Dave I tried your "second barrel" theroy,

Maybe slightly floored if the bird is only around 5 paces from the hide........I should have gone out to pick it up but there was another flock coming round and I didn't want to show myself.

Needless to say it didn't need plucking, ....... It also wasn't anygood as a decoy/meal....

I'll go back to neck brakeing thanks :grumpy:  :grumpy:  :grumpy:

The method Malc recommends is very good, and it leaves no mess.

Cranfield, if you can feel the sharp bone of the birds spine, just work down a little and press hard with your thumb in this area. You will feel what seems to be a flat 'plate', and this will make an audible crunch when it gives.

The bird will immediatly show reflex action but is dead almost instantly, I've only had one bird that it did'nt work on, just keep practising!

Even though pigeons have been known to carry alsorts or nasty stuff they always look clean  tidy and fat , the perfect meal. So I like to eat mine without it to full of lead and always have my dad there to despatch and wonded birds or I use the dog.

But for things like crows whitch I would never eat ( Because they look scaby and dirty as they hang around pig farms and stuff) I wouldent hesatate to give him anouther barrel. It sounds a bit lazy but Like neack breaking it kills instantly and after all I let the dog play with dead crows or use them as decoys but I lob them in the woods at the end of the day for the fox and he aint as fussy as me  

:angry:

When I have no outher choice but to do it the good old way I just club his head with something and If you hit the back of his head its all over in one blow. Dad knows how to break there neacks but I dont and I better learn for when I am old enough to go out on my own and he is not there to do the dirty work . :angry:

• 1 month later...

Just found this topic you were all discussing a few weeks ago. Hope you don't mind if I put in my halfpennyworth. A few years ago I came across an injured duck. Having heard that necking a duck was easy I thought it'd be a simple matter to put the poor sod out of its misery. But those duck necks are tough! Eventually managed to do it but felt guilty I'd added to its suffering. Also, it didn't occur to me until after I'd necked it to check if anyone was looking........