radio control pigeons

Topgunners

we were out again this morning and dropped 46 crows and then by 10.30pm they stopped flighting.

We moved on to some stubble where quite a few pigeons were dropping in and then set up our hides. We hadn't been shooting very long then all of a sudden started to get bombarded with *****y aircraft all over the field, as a number of radio controlled enthusiasts set up on the hill just above us.

All we got was eeeeeeeeow, eeeeeeow ,meeeeeeeeeeo; as plane after plane and helicopter flew all around us.

We shot 65 pigeons , but it was slow going.

I wonder if any one has a remote control PIGEON we could have used to entice the pigeons into the deeks.

:good::oops::lol:

Dave K

One of my other hobbies is building and flying model planes and heli's, I have often wondered about making something that looked like a pigeon to put up there and pull things into the deeks from a flightline. If it was convincing enough you might be able to shift birds around..

There are people who make "bird" type flying contraptions but they don't really work that well, at least not the ones I have seen anyway.

Wonder if something electric of a similar size in the right colours would actually work....

Guest jonrms

there was a thread going back about 6 months ago.

and someone had used a electric plane/glider to lure the pigeons in... however found it was more effective for crows and magpies.

I too enjoy radio control and prefer nitro.. but I can see why and how a electric glider/plane would work.... hmmmm the possiblities...

there was a thread going back about 6 months ago.

and someone had used a electric plane/glider to lure the pigeons in... however found it was more effective for crows and magpies.

I too enjoy radio control and prefer nitro.. but I can see why and how a electric glider/plane would work.... hmmmm the possiblities...

I was thinking something along the lines of a thunder tiger e-hawk or similar. It would be possible to remove the covering and almost "fill" between the spars with pigeon feathers or a similar skinning in the right colour, I think you can get a matt monokote which should keep the reflections down to a minimum. It would need to electric, preferably brushless/lipo powered but with a carefully selected prop to minimise the noise it makes. Something that can climb and glide and stay there for a decent time would be a must.

I have certainly taken pigeon (and other birds) "away" before without really trying. I have thermaled with buzzards before who seem to almost completely ignore the plane even though it looks nothing like them. They are more than happy to share a thermal if you hit a good one they want to be on too :good:

Hmm, the possibilities...

Chaps, I know that the forum is called pigeon watch, but I'm sure that no on ever thought that we would literally be expected to watch a RC pigeon.

At what point do you put the controller down, and pick up the gun? or , are we to have a conversation along the line of "pilot to gunner"

webber

Clearly you'd want to have 2 people to make it work best. I am not suggesting it as something you'd buy from shootwarehouse as a serious tool or something, they aint hard to fly but it does take time to learn and get good at. Putting the plane where you wanted it and then flying the birds in wouldn't be easy, even for a moderately skilled pilot.

Its possible to put a gyro in a plane to keep the wings level and it flying level but taking your eye off the plane is dangerous and not something you get used to until you have been flying for a good while.

I might try an experiment one day but the hassle of taking chargers and bits you would need for a day would just make it impractical I think. One to try just to see I think...

The only problem I would imagine with radio controlled birds, is that they don't have a natural flying action.

The wings wouldn't flap, this would make them "fly" with set wings, just like a bird of prey.

Making them more likely to scare, than attract.

I knew a chap that use to be paid to fly a radio controlled plane, with very long wings over cherry orchards, to scare the starlings away.

Then the farmer got imitation hawks , suspended below helium balloons and the plane owner became redundant. :good:

To quote cranners ( sorry just made me laugh)

"The only problem I would imagine with radio controlled birds, is that they don't have a natural flying action.

The wings wouldn't flap, this would make them "fly" with set wings, just like a bird of prey.

Making them more likely to scare, than attract."

Unlike a magnet where the dead pigeons go round and round :good:

Just thought it sounded funny no offence cranners :oops:

Just to elaborate, as I anticipated a, "what about the magnet" comment. :)

Set wing flight, high over feeding birds, would spook them in my opinion.

Set wings close to the ground, look like a pigeon landing to incoming higher birds, so is a non threatening sight.

Well, thats what I think anyway, but only a pigeon knows the truth. :yes:

PS. the imitation hawks suspended below tethered helium balloons , is a very effective bird scaring tool.

It is suprising what I have observed myself when flying. One of the clubs I go to has a flying area right close to a flightline that pigeon and crows use and I have "herded" pigeon off that flightline before and I was thinking you could bring them away from one area into another.

I have also been able to "attract" pigeon from a flightline by simply crossing infront of it, as you see all the time when one bird seems to be coming right toward the pattern from afar and some lone pigeon crosses its path and takes it away! :)

Another observation on pigeons awareness of whats in the sky.

When on my one and only hot air balloon flight (a buttock clenching take off and landing), on a frosty morning in the early Winter, we went over lots of rape fields and at one time had a flock of about 300 pigeons flying just below us, that took no notice of the balloon at all.

Could this be the idea for a new hide position ?

Another observation on pigeons awareness of whats in the sky.

When on my one and only hot air balloon flight (a buttock clenching take off and landing), on a frosty morning in the early Winter, we went over lots of rape fields and at one time had a flock of about 300 pigeons flying just below us, that took no notice of the balloon at all.

Could this be the idea for a new hide position ?

Yo Cranfield.

If You are going to be shooting DOWNWARDS at the pigeons PLEEEEEEEASE PM me and let me know beforehand where-abouts you are flying over.

Cause we will be up and goooooone.

:):yes::lol:

Dave K