Terminator Decoy

Nick Atkinson

Hi All,

After a few years of success using magnets I recently read an article in The Shooting Times about a spinning wing, single decoy called a "terminator". Being the gadget freak that I am I wanted one and struggled for ages to get one as everyone in the country was sold out! Was this a good sign or were they just such a gimmick that people had to have one.

Any how, Ive got one.....going out this weekend over some recently chopped rape and wanted some tips from anyone who has used these new toys, what is the best method to use them, wot decoysto use them with, shell, other magnets, real birds, where to position the terminator etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Cheers

Nick (aka gadget boy)

The only spinning wing decoys I have seen, were duck decoys in the US.

There were very mixed opinions as to their effectiveness and some hunters believed they spooked the ducks, rather than attracted them.

In fact, similar to the comments you hear about rotary devices, motorised flappers etc.

My only comment is that a spinning wing looks like a solid (still) wing from a distance.

So is the spinning element really an advatage ?

I always site any moving decoys to the side , or front of my layout, whether its the best location for a spinning decoy I have no idea.

Try it and let us know how you get on.

I watched a DVD at the game fair(it was raining)and they were using the goose rotating wingwhaddever,and they also had 100+ deeks and they weren`t pulling anything in.I also agree with cranfield re. the duck ones.

If your on rape stubble you could use just deeks and do well. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a fantastic day last weekend using the "Terminator" shot over recently swaithed rape in Northumberland.

Set out a traditional horseshoe pttern of 20 full bodied decoys and the Terminator in the middle. After a slow start I had pigeons making a beeline for the decoys through most of the day. I even had a hare and a kestrel come and check out the Terminator as it can be see from miles with its spinning wings.

At the end of the day we had a bag of 96 birds so a cracking day !!

I can now reccomend the terminator but not sure it's worth the £140 price tag as there's nowt to it!!!

Enjoy

I have had one of these for a while now, and to be honest I am not over impressed I have tried just deeks and a floater/ flapper with a terminator. or just deeks and the terminator, or a magnet deeks and a terminator, and have to say I get best results (may change with winter rape )when the the magnet is deployed with deeks

one thing I can say UNRESERVEDLY is that the terminator is lethal to ferals for some reason they are fascinated by it they will and do hover above it and to some extent crows too so perhaps I should paint it black?

cheers KW