police asking for maps on renewal

Hi

I have had a FAC for over 15 years and for the first time the police want maps and signature from the land owner with my renewal .

has any one else had this and is it actual part of the law to do the maps as I believe it is not ?

With my renewal I also put in for a 260rem and the 260 come back on my FAC restricted witch is a first time for me all my other rifles are unrestricted ( open ) and my FLO said I would need maps and signature for any other land I want to clear which once agene I believe this is not the case.

Would like to know what the right way to clear land is?

One other thing how long should I leave it before I ask for a unrestricted license on my FAC?

It'd be a bit difficult to clear the land within the boundaries you wish to use the gun on if you don't supply the map. You don't mention what the other calibers are - are they anything like as potent as the 260 you now wish to use?

It's common courtesy to ask for permission to inspect a farmers private land - so the permission letter gives plod a good reason to speak with the farmer.

My FEO indicates land cleaance is only valid for five years now. A new caliber could see you back to square one in some force area's.

Edited by Dave-G

if you've had an FAC for 15 years that's insane to come back restricted - what calibres do you have?

22/250 for around 7 to 8 years also 22lr 22khornet also my ammo sheet are full as i shoot a lot 1000s of foxes and 3000 rabbits a year so i thort it was a bit harsh to be given a closed license

all my rifles are open ticket and all ways have been apart for my 260 now

Edited by strudwick

Hi

I have had a FAC for over 15 years and for the first time the police want maps and signature from the land owner with my renewal .

has any one else had this and is it actual part of the law to do the maps as I believe it is not ?

With my renewal I also put in for a 260rem and the 260 come back on my FAC restricted witch is a first time for me all my other rifles are unrestricted ( open ) and my FLO said I would need maps and signature for any other land I want to clear which once agene I believe this is not the case.

One other thing how long should I leave it before I ask for a unrestricted license on my FAC?

The police wanting a signature from the land owner with your renewal is perfectly normal as you still need to show the good reason for having a fac. As for the closed condition for your 260 that seems very harsh depending on what calibres you currently possess. If this is your first cf then its not uncomon but if you have cf rifles already Iwould send your fac back to have this condition changed asap. :good:

Must type faster, in that case the closed condition does seem abit harsh. 1000's of foxs a year :hmm:

Edited by Luckyshot

The police wanting a signature from the land owner with your renewal is perfectly normal as you still need to show the good reason for having a fac. As for the closed condition for your 260 that seems very harsh depending on what calibres you currently possess. If this is your first cf then its not uncomon but if you have cf rifles already Iwould send your fac back to have this condition changed asap. :good:

Must type faster, in that case the closed condition does seem abit harsh. 1000's of foxs a year :hmm:

no sorry 1000s fox over all.

3000 rabbits a year not so much now tho not so meany left :(

what about the map do you have to have that?

i have just read the HOME OFFICE FIREARMS LAW

GUIDANCE TO THE POLICE , In it it said you just ask the land owner what caliber your land is cleared for and if its not then you have to get it checked

Edited by strudwick

I'm not looking forward to my renewal, the memories of the last load of paperwork haven't faded yet!

Maybe I should put in a map for every permission I have? I recon they need a sack truck to move all the junk I've sent them over the years already and every little helps!

I was speaking to my licencing manager about this the other day and he explained that as long as you have land that is cleared for that caliber an open ticket will be granted in your case you have an open ticket on your 22/250 and the others but a closed ticket on the 260 i would think with your experiance once you have produced proof and the farmers permission for a new caliber then after a period of time they will grant an open status.

The "calm down dear" line comes to mind.

The police maps of land are often a bit sketchy when comes to boundaries and clearance for specific calibres.

Maps from you really help this process and saves hours of police time.

Once your boundaries are clear, the police force in question can check on their system and if necessary add your land boundaries.

I would guess that your current land which is currently linked to your 22-250 is not showing as cleared for .260 at present. In theory you can make the decision about land calibre now but that has a limit. Whilst the decision on the jump to .260 seems, on the face of it, harsh, perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

Your maps will provide the much needed clarification and then the decisions can be made.

I'm a SACS member I just phone up for advice, ask the police who to send the bill to for the maps as its not a legal requirement as usual they are making it up as they go along. Ideally the time to join a shooting org is before you need them :good: but if you phone SACS we will advise up to a point but realisticlly we need to concentrate on members.

Hi

I sent a map in with my application it landed on there mat last week had a vist tues ,he said it made it easier for him to pss the land :good:

Surley it makes scence at least the FEO will know what land he is looking at and not taking a guess and then declining the land i had to do it when i asked for center fire on one of my permissions. They had it recorded incorectly as 19 acres when in fact it was 119 acres this was because years agoo the FEO turned up at the farm and the stable girl just pointed out a few fields the owner was not bothered as he only wanted to shoot his 22lr. Permission was granted for this it was only years later when i asked it all came out.