.223-.224?

Hi All,

Just looking through some reloading stuff, namely bullets, in the .223 section of a couple of websites there are .224 bullets, silly q maybe but what are .224 bullets for? .223 rifles or something else?

so what is the diff between .223 and .223 rem

regards

john

.223 Rem is the cartridge designation which was designed by....... Remington. Much like the .308 Winchester or the .204 Ruger.

The .223 Rem uses a .224 bullet whilst (as has been said) the .22 Hornet used to use a .223 bullet.

Cartridge designation can drive you up the wall, with a .308 being smaller in diameter than a .303 (which is actually .311).

Give up now before you go as daft as the rest of us. :blink: ;):D

G.M.

Lee reloading manual was bought for me - the text is typically yank and very pro-Lee but the tables and advice are good. Costs about 15 quid.

I have some Lee dies and some RCBS, all the kit works but avoid Lee hand reloaders.

Its the 'recipe' that can give you problems - depends obviously on gun twist rate, mine a rem700VLS and is happy with Vitavouri 133 20.6 grains driving a 40 grain v-max - havent had a problem generally out to 200yds.

Good luck !

I have probably missed a few of the wildcat calibers but yes .223 Winchester super short magnum has a bullet diameter of .224

Thanks, I wasn't picking at your post, genuine question as this is the calibre in question... :good:

Thank you, swift and salient as usual!

Just looking at getting started reloading, I'm sure I'll have many a more questions.

Just thought of one, what reloading manual is recommended?

Kyska

I have copies of most of the manuals and the Hornady Manual gets my vote.