Lure Fishing

Doc Holliday

Anyone else lure fish for bass? I've just spent a bob or 2 on some new sea fishing gear. I've been looking at getting back in to sea fihing and went in to a couple of shops after looking at their websites. Only one really gave a mention to bass fishing as a seperate entity to regular sea fishing. The first 2 shops didn't really offer much i nthe wy of bog standard information (use peelers now, whehre they've heeard of fish being caught and sizes, etc.) but the one which was a surprise was the one not near the sea.

I went in with a view to seeing what was on offer and walked out with spinning rod, reel, translucent filament, braided filament and a nice selection of lures for all ocassions. I have to say that the guy really new his stuff and spoke from experience which was a real help and wasn't at all pushy. I'm just looking forward to putting it in to practice. A big thank you to The Friendly Fisherman in Camden Road, Tunbridge Wells. Very good website too.

Come out with me Doc. I can normally pick up a few. Margun is up for a session as well so we should have a good laugh, he's a top chap. Should get good sport from now until October when the waters clear enough round the point. I start the season spinning frozen Sandeels on either plain bomb running ledger or bubble float. All small but good sport on light gear.

Will let you know when I'm going. Work a bit chocca at the moment but not complaining.

Checkout Seagull tackles website (littlestone Kent).They had some huge Bass there a month past and the pics are on the website. Unseasonally huge!

Oh lordy, I'm giving up fishing and I have tons of lures and some very nice rods and reels mostly sourced from the USA and I'm looking to sell them all.

A bit late now though I guess unless you need some extra stuff?

I can fully sympathise with you. I too gave it up about 10 - 12 years ago and sold all my stuff. I wish now that I hadn't. Keep a hold of it fella, if it's in your blood then there will come a time when you will want to blow the dust of it and get it wet again. I can solidly talk from experience.

Ack-ack, you could be on there. I have to say that, as much as I love Dungeness, I do get flashbacks of bad memories relating to Pouting & Weaver fish.

Well, we had a cracking day. Caught sweet F.A. but the weather was gorgeous and I even had a little paddle. The lad I've got working with me wanted to come so I arranged to meet him at the office for 6 A.M.. I got a text from him at 5.55 saying 'Just having breakfast will be 10 - 15 minutes. I nearly left him behind. I can't stand being late, especially where fishing is concerned.

That aside, I decided to give Birling Gap a try, partly because we were now going to be arriving after the onset of low tide and I didn't want to be trapesing gear too far. We got down there about 7.20 and I was in the water fishing by 7.40. After 4 hours there without so much as a bite (probably because the water wasn't too clear) we decided to give things a try at Tidemills but then decided on Seaford Head as I knew there were some concrete breakers where the chop should have produced some good results. Fished up until about an hour after high tide and called it a day :(

Got nicely burnt also so that should be interesting tonight when I get in the shower.