I'll probably get slaughtered for this, stupid question!!

Cosd

To add to our two family wood pigeon pets which eat us out of house and home in bird seeds, it seems now that we have another addition to the garden collection. It's a brown duck :blush: that's about as technical as I can get unfortunately.

It seems well enough and happily waddles along but reluctant to fly. It comes to about 6 feet of us to feed on bread but any sudden movement or if you try to get closer it runs off rather than flies off. It looks very healthy and not at all under nourished.

So here's the stupid question :oops: Do ducks eat fish?

I don't want to find he's not just after the bread and he/she is nicking fish from my pond as well. If that's the case and he insists on staying I will start getting a new bed ready for him/her in the oven :lol:

Cos

get it to eat orange's

http://birding.about.com/od/birdfeeders/a/What-Do-Ducks-Eat.htm

Wild ducks eat a wide range of foods and they are constantly foraging for meals and snacks. Foods ducks eat include:

Small fish and fish eggs

Snails, worms and mollusks

Small crustaceans

Grass and weeds

Algae and aquatic plants

Frogs, salamanders and other amphibians

Aquatic and land insects

Seeds and grain

Small berries or fruits

Edited by BSA-airgunner

To add to our two family wood pigeon pets which eat us out of house and home in bird seeds, it seems now that we have another addition to the garden collection. It's a brown duck :blush: that's about as technical as I can get unfortunately.

It seems well enough and happily waddles along but reluctant to fly. It comes to about 6 feet of us to feed on bread but any sudden movement or if you try to get closer it runs off rather than flies off. It looks very healthy and not at all under nourished.

I don't want to find he's not just after the bread and he/she is nicking fish from my pond as well. If that's the case and he insists on staying I will start getting a new bed ready for him/her in the oven :lol:

Cos

Brown ducks are common in the Enfield area, and are fond of Koi Carp and Goldfish.

They only eat fish once they lose the ability/will to fly.

Their favourite nesting site would on or under a Disco, especially one that has not, or rarely goes off road.

Edited by bakerboy

Brown ducks are common in the Enfield area, and are fond of Koi Carp and Goldfish.

They only eat fish once they lose the ability/will to fly.

Their favourite nesting site would on or under a Disco, especially one that has not, or rarely goes off road.

Sitting at work with tears of laughter running down my face :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cos

Take it round to your mum, she can cook it for you as well as the rabbits. :wub::P

What kind of duck fella?The majority dont eat fish,mallard,teal widgeon etc but goosanders and mergansers do.

I don't know what kind, it's a mottled brown quaky thing :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was a mallard but looking at images on the net it looks similar except on the net it shows brown Mallard with a little blue patch at the back where as the one in my garden has a vivid green patch at the back

We always get a few mallard in the garden this time of year where they are looking to set up a territory from the main pond down the road. Have to fence off our garden pond to stop them ruining it but they only stay for a few weeks (whilst getting fattened up on barley and kitchen scraps!) before they give the whole garden nesting site thing up as a bad job due to the lack of proper water, cats and crows which would hammer the ducklings!

FM

One of my colleagues just walked over asking why I'm crying :lol:

Even more funny, when I got home the wife and daughter were excited telling me about our new found friend. I looked in panic and said "don't ducks eat fish has it been in the pond?" The wife replies "don't be studpid, ducks eat bread" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus christ, and we want to move to the country :lol:

What kind of duck fella?The majority dont eat fish,mallard,teal widgeon etc but goosanders and mergansers do.

You sure on that one bub? ;) - mallard will eat sticklebacks etc - ducks eat a lot more thatn you think - open a few up and you'll be amazed what you find - I remember sitting with my old man cleaning out a few mallards and there were allsorts in there! :blink:

post-10812-0-59183300-1337166486.jpg

You sure on that one bub? ;) - mallard will eat sticklebacks etc - ducks eat a lot more thatn you think - open a few up and you'll be amazed what you find - I remember sitting with my old man cleaning out a few mallards and there were allsorts in there! :blink:

Didnt think they were supposed to fella and seeing that Mallard with a fush is pretty cool. :good:

Edited by sako751sg