fac air and moderators

I recently applied for my fac. 1x.17hmr, 1x moderator...1x.22air rifle, 1x moderator...1x .22r/f 1x moderator.

The licence lists all three rifles applied for, and 1x .17 moderator and 1x .22 moderator. One moderator missing!

I shall give the firearms dept a buzz anyway, but it would appear that either they have made a mistake and left off one of the .22 moderators, or they assume I shall swap it between the air and r/f, or it doesn't require listing for the air rifle :hmm: I asked the feo at the interview why mods have to be applied for and his answer was that they disrupt the flame from powder burning so require special consideration. So obviously that wouldn't apply to air. Confused :yes: Your thoughts..or anyone with just fac air, does your cert list the mod?

Edited by turbo33

I asked the feo at the interview why mods have to be applied for and his answer was that they disrupt the flame from powder burning so require special consideration.

What the ???

If thats as close to word for word as the FEO said, i would question there position as FEO. sounds a bit of a #lonker

Now here's a question. If you have a 12ftlbs air rifle, you don't need a moderator on ticket...........

So if the air rifle is FAC rated could you not simply buy an unproofed air rifle moderator off ticket and use that.......

Or do you (by law) have to fit an FAC rated moderator onto an FAC rated air rifle in case it explodes under all that power (yes I know ;) )

G.M.

I recently applied for my fac. 1x.17hmr, 1x moderator...1x.22air rifle, 1x moderator...1x .22r/f 1x moderator.

The licence lists all three rifles applied for, and 1x .17 moderator and 1x .22 moderator. One moderator missing!

I shall give the firearms dept a buzz anyway, but it would appear that either they have made a mistake and left off one of the .22 moderators, or they assume I shall swap it between the air and r/f, or it doesn't require listing for the air rifle :hmm: I asked the feo at the interview why mods have to be applied for and his answer was that they disrupt the flame from powder burning so require special consideration. So obviously that wouldn't apply to air. Confused :yes: Your thoughts..or anyone with just fac air, does your cert list the mod?

He's wrong then. It's because the definition of 'Firearm' in the Firearms Act includes accessories intended to reduce the noise or flash produced by discharging a firearm. In short, a detachable moderator is, legally speaking, a firearm in its own right so you need a slot for it.

J.

I was at eastern sporting last week, as for the last 5 months or so, Ive been using one SAK moderator between two rifles, even though I had the slot I had'ent bought it yet, now they asked if it was for firearm or air rifle, then went on to explain to a new customer, that had I said air rifle, they could just hand another sak mod across the counter to me, but as I'd said rimfire, they needed to check my cert, at no time when he asked air rifle or firearm did he ask 12ft lb etc, I therefore reckon a fac air dont need it on the ticket, and thats why they have only offered two, I could be wrong, phone your fao up and ask

He's wrong then. It's because the definition of 'Firearm' in the Firearms Act includes accessories intended to reduce the noise or flash produced by discharging a firearm. In short, a detachable moderator is, legally speaking, a firearm in its own right so you need a slot for it.

J.

Thats EXACTLY feo said :yes: So I guess the flash doesn't apply to an air rifle, but the sound reduction would hence the need for it to have a "slot" Anyway, phone call made, all sorted so thanks for all the input :good: :good:

Now here's a question. If you have a 12ftlbs air rifle, you don't need a moderator on ticket...........

So if the air rifle is FAC rated could you not simply buy an unproofed air rifle moderator off ticket and use that.......

Or do you (by law) have to fit an FAC rated moderator onto an FAC rated air rifle in case it explodes under all that power (yes I know ;) )

G.M.

You can fit whatever mod you want, I have bought several 12ft lb Air Rifle mods and fitted them to FAC tools.

What you need is a slot for the mod on a FAC tool, what you fit is down to you! :good:

I was at eastern sporting last week, as for the last 5 months or so, Ive been using one SAK moderator between two rifles, even though I had the slot I had'ent bought it yet, now they asked if it was for firearm or air rifle, then went on to explain to a new customer, that had I said air rifle, they could just hand another sak mod across the counter to me, but as I'd said rimfire, they needed to check my cert, at no time when he asked air rifle or firearm did he ask 12ft lb etc, I therefore reckon a fac air dont need it on the ticket, and thats why they have only offered two, I could be wrong, phone your fao up and ask

As a component part of an Airgun it also needs to be recorded on their register of airgun sales along with the purchasers name and address.

J

If it's FAC Air it needs a slot for a Mod Stubby! :yes::good:

You can fit whatever mod you want, I have bought several 12ft lb Air Rifle mods and fitted them to FAC tools.

What you need is a slot for the mod on a FAC tool, what you fit is down to you! :good:

Yes I know........ I was trying to open people's eyes to the law.

I have an old PH mod on my .22rf which I bought some years ago at the Midland Game Fair. I had a choice at the time to buy either an “Un-proofed” PH mod' for @ £15, or a “Proofed” PH mod for @ £30.

Needless to say I bought the un-proofed mod and fitted it without any worries, because that was all I had ever used in the past without any problems at all.

And let's face it, probably not one of those Game Fair moderators had actually been proof tested because the Proof House simply tests ONE out of the huge batch of moderators sent by the manufacturer, and then proofs the whole batch. So the chances of actually getting the one that was actually proofed is extremely remote.

In fact I read an article a few years ago about a batch of T8 moderators that were sent for proof. Every one of them was returned with the plastic protective wrapping still attached and with the proof marks laser etched through the wrapping..NOT ONE OF THEM HAD BEEN ACTUALLY TESTED.

And then there was the case of the .223 moderator that the Proof House claimed had been subjected to a high pressure proof testing ..FOR A .308 WIN.

Had a .308 been fired through a .223 moderator it would have blown the front off the can due to the hole being too small.......they were never able to fully explain that one!!!!!

The whole “Proof” thing was a scam from day one when the Proof Houses in Birmingham an London got together to find a way of scaring a gun hating Labour government into allowing them to fleece the gun owners of this country into paying for proof work that was not needed.

Has ANYONE on this forum EVER heard of a rifle barrel exploding after a threading job????.......... No?????

Neither have I, and neither has either of the Proof Houses.

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

Yes I know........ I was trying to open people's eyes to the law.

I have an old PH mod on my .22rf which I bought some years ago at the Midland Game Fair. I had a choice at the time to buy either an “Un-proofed” PH mod' for @ £15, or a “Proofed” PH mod for @ £30.

Needless to say I bought the un-proofed mod and fitted it without any worries, because that was all I had ever used in the past without any problems at all.

And let's face it, probably not one of those Game Fair moderators had actually been proof tested because the Proof House simply tests ONE out of the huge batch of moderators sent by the manufacturer, and then proofs the whole batch. So the chances of actually getting the one that was actually proofed is extremely remote.

In fact I read an article a few years ago about a batch of T8 moderators that were sent for proof, every one of them was returned with the plastic protective wrapping still attached and with the proof marks laser etched through the wrapping..NOT ONE OF THEM HAD BEEN ACTUALLY TESTED.

And then there was the case of the .223 moderator that the Proof House claimed had been subjected to a high pressure proof testing ..FOR A .308 WIN.

Had a .308 been fired through a .223 moderator it would have blown the front off the can due to the hole being too small.......they were never able to fully explain that one!!!!!

The whole “Proof” thing was a scam from day one when the Proof Houses in Birmingham an London got together to find a way of scaring a gun hating Labour government into allowing them to fleece the gun owners of this country into paying for proof work that was not needed.

Has ANYONE on this forum EVER heard of a rifle barrel exploding after a threading job????.......... No?????

Neither have I, and neither has either of the Proof Houses.

G.M.

Very well said. The proof houses are private companies who lost a lot of work when the pistol ban was enacted and so needed to find another source of income. No one will ever be prosecuted for having an unproved moderator or threaded muzzle because the proof house cannot afford to lose the case. If they did then all the proofing of mods and threads that they already do will instantly disappear. Also, I do wonder how sticky things might get for them when the inevitable questions are asked about how this private company can lawfully operate as the body which sets the rules and enforces them.

J.