Hilux or l200

Deano87

I'm looking for a new truck. It's got to be a double cab. My dads got a hilux mk4 single cab wich is great but feels under powered. Should I go for a hilux mk5 (2004) or do I go for a newer l200 around 2006/07. Theyre both around the same price range.

I have a hi lux vx model excellent motor and will get you just about anywhere and not too bad on fuel considering size best advise is grab yourself a test drive of both to decide wich is for you ,but for me personally it was a no brainier

L200 is an excellent wagon, just parted with mine and I am gutted!

The old hilux would be like going back into the dark ages, mate has one, it's ok - but very basic compared to the L200' mine was 100% reliable (2007 animal), I know 3 other users in the same age bracket that are problem free, you won't be sorry and the fuel economy will smash the old hilux.

I'm thinking there is a reason hilux hold their value??

yep its purely down to reputation they do have issues when they live a hard life like any vehicle but a simple look at what you get for your money is usually enough. When I was looking 6K bought me a 5 year old one owner L200 with 60k on it I could have bought a 10 year old hilux with 100k on it for the same money. Personally I was happier with the L200 and its been a cheap to run vehicle. In this case looking at an 06/07 L200 you get the newer engine which is more economical and they have sorted out the gearing for motorway runs so are pretty comfortable. A quick look on autotrader says £8k will buy you a new shape full history warrior with 67k on it on an 06 plate or a basic newer shape hilux with 107k on or a higher spec with 183k on then thats plus vat. To me its a no brainer

yep its purely down to reputation they do have issues when they live a hard life like any vehicle but a simple look at what you get for your money is usually enough. When I was looking 6K bought me a 5 year old one owner L200 with 60k on it I could have bought a 10 year old hilux with 100k on it for the same money. Personally I was happier with the L200 and its been a cheap to run vehicle. In this case looking at an 06/07 L200 you get the newer engine which is more economical and they have sorted out the gearing for motorway runs so are pretty comfortable. A quick look on autotrader says £8k will buy you a new shape full history warrior with 67k on it on an 06 plate or a basic newer shape hilux with 107k on or a higher spec with 183k on then thats plus vat. To me its a no brainer

Agreed Alex.

My pal paid top dollar for his hilux, and it isn't half the machine honestly - drinks like a bitch, and as for getting out and playing with hubs in. The muck, not for me.

I have a mk5 double cab hilux and it costs me a fortune to keep on the road. These are reported to be the least reliable model. It is a little underpowered (102bhp) compared with newer l200s (140bhp??)

But I firmly believe that my engine will last a lot longer because it isnt as powerful!

Depends what you want it for??

If you want a nice truck that you can drive to a wedding, buy a clean l200. If you want a workhorse that you won't be too bothered about scratching it off road then buy a hilux.

Where I work, the other lads have a ford ranger, a mk 6 hilux, a new l200 a new Nissan navara and a discovery 3.

Mine goes the furthest off road because they all can't drive past low branches in case they scratch them!

Just because you don't care about damaging your motor doesn't mean it's better or worse than any other. I have a knackered old vitara we rag round the farm. It's had it's rear suspension ripped off on one side, a hole punched in the underside, damage to wings and doors from cows and the tractor. Does that mean it's better than your hilux? :P

I have a 56 plate new shape L200. Won plenty awards for towing in it's class. Cheap road tax. Think it's around £130 a year. Does very well on fuel, turning circles fantastic for abig motor, drop down back window is handy for longer loads which you don't want on the roof. Nice to drive and nippy too when needed. Never use the aircon in mine apart from demisting windows. 4 wheel drive H and L work well as does the difflock. Got traction control and full electric windows. All round a nice smart motor.

Cons - Trims a bit cheap, door panels are hard panels, not padded. Cup holders are useless for cups as they get in way of changing gear, best used to store your phone whilst charging. I'm not the tallest person but with the seat low I still knock my head at times getting in. trim inside is basic but neat, lack of places to put new switches without drilling the dash.

Average prices for a 56 plate new shape seem to be anywhere from £8k to £12k with/without VAT dependant on where you buy.

We looked at Nissan, Isuzu and toyota before going with the Mitsi.

Nissan was awful. Tiny rear doors, a heavy lump, bad on clutches and poor fuel put us off.

Isuzu - not bad but it just didn't really do anything for us when we looked at them and drove it.

Toyota - Really high gear lever, struggled to find many manuals when we were looking that weren't gold/champagne in colour :huh: Drove well but fuel economy wasn't anywhere near the L200. It feels like a nice big beefy truck but an extra £7k+ just because it's a toyota? Sales chap was very honest mind as said himself, they are like all other motors and have their niggles and issues.

Just because you don't care about damaging your motor doesn't mean it's better or worse than any other. I have a knackered old vitara we rag round the farm. It's had it's rear suspension ripped off on one side, a hole punched in the underside, damage to wings and doors from cows and the tractor. Does that mean it's better than your hilux?

Yes! It does! You'll drive that vitara waaaay more dangerous places than I'll drive my hilux!

That's why you ripped the suspension off!

I'm looking for a new truck. It's got to be a double cab. My dads got a hilux mk4 single cab wich is great but feels under powered. Should I go for a hilux mk5 (2004) or do I go for a newer l200 around 2006/07. Theyre both around the same price range.

go for the mk5 does 37mpg

Just because you don't care about damaging your motor doesn't mean it's better or worse than any other. I have a knackered old vitara we rag round the farm. It's had it's rear suspension ripped off on one side, a hole punched in the underside, damage to wings and doors from cows and the tractor. Does that mean it's better than your hilux? :P

I have a 56 plate new shape L200. Won plenty awards for towing in it's class. Cheap road tax. Think it's around £130 a year. Does very well on fuel, turning circles fantastic for abig motor, drop down back window is handy for longer loads which you don't want on the roof. Nice to drive and nippy too when needed. Never use the aircon in mine apart from demisting windows. 4 wheel drive H and L work well as does the difflock. Got traction control and full electric windows. All round a nice smart motor.

Cons - Trims a bit cheap, door panels are hard panels, not padded. Cup holders are useless for cups as they get in way of changing gear, best used to store your phone whilst charging. I'm not the tallest person but with the seat low I still knock my head at times getting in. trim inside is basic but neat, lack of places to put new switches without drilling the dash.

Average prices for a 56 plate new shape seem to be anywhere from £8k to £12k with/without VAT dependant on where you buy.

We looked at Nissan, Isuzu and toyota before going with the Mitsi.

Nissan was awful. Tiny rear doors, a heavy lump, bad on clutches and poor fuel put us off.

Isuzu - not bad but it just didn't really do anything for us when we looked at them and drove it.

Toyota - Really high gear lever, struggled to find many manuals when we were looking that weren't gold/champagne in colour :huh: Drove well but fuel economy wasn't anywhere near the L200. It feels like a nice big beefy truck but an extra £7k+ just because it's a toyota? Sales chap was very honest mind as said himself, they are like all other motors and have their niggles and issues.

Seems very cheap :hmm:

It is. Makes me smile every time I tax it. :yes: Something to do with euro 4 engines. Not sure which years it covers but ours is fortunately. Could be wrong but there was 2 or 3 years covered with the cheap tax I think.

Yep your righ it was only the 06 ones that were cheap to tax. Saying that I have an 11 plate warrior now and it's not that much more to tax

hi, i have a l200 2001 with big ragging tyres on it (275 70 r16) and a shooting subframe in the back, it is fantatic. i use it nearly everyday and i have only got it stuck once in a bog that you couldnt stand up in, it did pretty well, the only thing i can say about the pickups in general is there not heavy enough on the back end for good traction, we have a nevara two ( a new one ) and that cant go anwhere near as far as my l200. we also have a new disco but it has no ground clearence, the older ones have better ground clearence, and the upside of the disco's you can get a 4.0litre wich is better for foxing as its smoother and the autos dont have to rev alot to pull, also the l200 has loads of power. but the best thing about the older l200's is the ground clearence is great, i have driven over walls that have been broken down and it never hardly catches the underside. but the comment about the vitara was completely true the vitaras have the best grip to weight ratio of all the standard cars. iv had 2 and they are better than all the pickups but there not so big, my mate has a hilux and i have passed him in the l200 and had to pull him out up at the flappits. and once had to pull him out when we went shooting, he got stuck trying to get out of a steep gateway, i got out after a bit of spinning but he had no chance. hope this helps, johnathan

• 3 weeks later...

DID YOU GET A NEW TRUCK ???? :D