Land Rover Defender

Jason13

Ehh did you say something??

Yes would the answer :lol:

On my 2.5 td

I have huge mud tyres :P

No sound insulation or mats inside so i can hose it out! :D

You also sit about 6 inches above the gearbox with just 3mm of aluminium between you and it!! :lol:

So when it finally reaches 70 mph , yes it very,very noisy so much so that normal conversation is almost impossible!!

So much so that me and Axe tend not to say a lot until we get to the shoot :/:/

Which isnt such a bad thing :good::good: Sorry m8 :yes::yes:

Ehh did you say something??

Yes would the answer ;)

On my 2.5 td

I have huge mud tyres :D

No sound insulation or mats inside so i can hose it out! :/

You also sit about 6 inches above the gearbox with just 3mm of aluminium between you and it!! :P

So when it finally reaches 70 mph , yes it very,very noisy so much so that normal conversation is almost impossible!!

So much so that me and Axe tend not to say a lot until we get to the shoot :/:good:

Which isnt such a bad thing :good::yes: Sorry m8 :yes::lol:

:P And its 2mm of aluminium :lol: I can just about make out Radio 4 but I tend to drive at 50-60mph as I am on a fuel conservation trip at the moment.

LB

Tyre bias makes a difference too, my discovery series one used to be fine and it was a diesel, with road based tyre and music play.

The 110 I had was louder but that was probably down to the BFG AT Tyres.

Take a couple for test drives, the modern defenders all have pretty thick carpetting inside.

Had the oppotunity to run a two series landrovers back to back, one with sound proofing the other without, makes a heck of a difference :lol:

It seems terrible to say this but after all the years between the series landrovers and the defenders there really ain't much difference in noise or ride comfort, but the noise is mostly down to the tyre noise, who the hell would run road bias tyres on farm machinery like defenders and series landrovers?

Oh and theres the hole aerodynamics thing that was never in the plan :oops:

• 1 month later...

I've had two defender 300tdi models, and if noise is a problem, don't buy one! The td5 is better, but not much. To be honest though, I love them for it. They are basic vehicles, that cost a fortune to run. Off road, they are the best money can buy without getting a unimog! I have an L200 4life now, a car, 4x4 and a pickup in one. If I could afford to have two vehicles, one would be a defender. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
cruse at 70 :lol: i dont think so

not in mine, and avg 45 mph gives about 25 miles to the gal i recon

:good: I'm with pavman on this one. A Land Rover has never been clocked doing that sort of speed. On the plus side though it is the only time pavman shuts up or maybe he doesn't as you'd never tell from the passenger seat unless you saw his lips move :lol:

cruse at 70 :lol: i dont think so

not in mine, and avg 45 mph gives about 25 miles to the gal i recon

:lol: I'm with pavman on this one. A Land Rover has never been clocked doing that sort of speed. On the plus side though it is the only time pavman shuts up or maybe he doesn't as you'd never tell from the passenger seat unless you saw his lips move :lol:

Philistines :good: I can but won't cruise at 80 as I have no oil refinery in the back garden but I believe Pavman may be able to help with this point :lol:

LB

Who cares how noisey. It gets you from field to field and from shoot to shoot isn't that what a defender is all about. Mine is a ex army model no luxury, bloody noisey but who cares it does all I ask of it and more :good::lol::lol: And as for speed/Noise once I get over 40 MPH I cant hear alot anyway what with the off road tyres and it's sleek aero styling but I have had 70MPH out of it not sure I will do it again though (or if it can) LOL