Modified LED lamping torches.

Dave-G

Just an idea but could you guys that have the know how make some up and sell them on? You then make some money back for your time and the rest of us that still have not fully grasped it could buy one. Just an idea :good:

i was exactly the same as you,couldnt grasp any of it,but the more i have read through it all, the more im picking it up,not all the technical bits but bits and pieces.As dave has said its all there in the posts you just have to digest it all,i read through it a load of times and still missed the video on post 40 which shows you how to do it,you cant go wrong after that,give it a go

atb dave

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perth area of Australia is 7 hours ahead of us I think. Yesterday Ash told me the kits would be shipped this morning so they should be winging their way here by insured express some time very soon chaps. :)

Some of you should have some feedback on the lesser DX version by now... :hmm:

Perth area of Australia is 7 hours ahead of us I think. Yesterday Ash told me the kits would be shipped this morning so they should be winging their way here by insured express some time very soon chaps. :)

Some of you should have some feedback on the lesser DX version by now... :hmm:

Ordered mine from DX,torch has arrived but not the batteries or the other bit's so still waiting to try. I've had this with DX before sending everything in separate parcel's. The torch look's well made though.

For transparency purposes here is the tracking number:

Edited to be sure the address of a FAC holder is not disclosed

I've got some kind of infection going on at the minute so bear with me please, waiting to get through to the surgury.

Edited by Dave-G

Since you liked the previous instructional video, (and we've got some time to kill before the package arrives), I made another one. This time I show you how to tear down a Rover in 30 seconds. Everyone in the UK drives a Rover V8 right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yza2zKk7R_M

and I'm sorry to hear about the infection Dave.

Edited by ahorton

Since you liked the previous instructional video, (and we've got some time to kill before the package arrives), I made another one. This time I show you how to tear down a Rover in 30 seconds. Everyone in the UK drives a Rover V8 right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yza2zKk7R_M

and I'm sorry to hear about the infection Dave.

Not many people drive V8's with the price on petrol only rich farmer's and MPs. I used to live down in the dancing pig (Rockingham) my wife was homesick so I'm back in this **** hole now. My neighbour Ron owned Kwinana wrecker's and the rover V8 was very popular he couldn't get enough of them. Atb Rob

We just can't win it seems. :no:

There were some people complaining on night vision forums that everyone was too secretive about their homebrews when in fact the complainers just couldn't be bothered to sit down with a cuppa and look through the threads that had told them exactly what to buy to make their own. In this case, you don't need to know what makes LED's emit most of their light forwards, rather than a burning coil/filament that emits light in almost every direction for example, all you need to know is how to put the bits together and it's all written in this thread. The more this thread gets de-railled the harder it will be for people to keep track of the few bits they need to know.

Tell-ya-wot, just an idea like:

I'll buy an LED torch as listed in my first post, buy the glue to bond the LED to the brass pill as listed by Ash, buy the custom made aspheric lens and custom made spacers, fit them as per Ash's instructional post and video then sell it to you with the usual extortionate mark up that so many people reckon suppliers make at um, oh say £99.99p. It will have no warranty as there would be no way to control how long you leave it turned on for.

A cheaper way to aquire things is to use this forum section, and read the threads that explain how people can make things so much cheaper for themselves. That was just an idea like. :P

Sorry if you got me wrong. Far from complaining. Thanks for taking the time to post all the information

:good:

Dey is landed innit. :)

Date/Time:

01/07/12 17:58

Activity:

Received and awaiting clearance for delivery

COVENTRY

Dave-G wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits.

Roughcoat wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit......... payed thanks.

Nial wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... payed thanks

Fisheruk wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit ...........payed thanks

Loki wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... Cheque received thanks

Gerry wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit

Telf wants 2 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... payed thanks

Jamiedenny wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit

dave3p wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ................ Payed thanks

Marky610 wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits. ............ payed thanks

Misfire wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits............... payed thanks

digit wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit .................. Payed thanks

Getafix wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ................. payed thanks

Couple of payments maybe lost in the post?

Edited by Dave-G

I've been asked a few times to put together a list of things to buy. So here are a few links. These are the sort of things I'd buy but I'm not responsible for what you end up getting. We're talking about cheap products from Chinese online sellers.

18650 cells and charger:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTAR-WP2-II-18650-Battery-Charger-2-x-XTAR-18650-3100mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-/330691915567?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Battery_Chargers&hash=item4cfec62f2f#ht_1325wt_1270

This is a suitable torch including a dropin with the right sort of LED and driver.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-cree-r2-wc-250-lumen-led-flashlight-black-1-18650-2-cr123a-16240?item=10

Or just buy the dropin:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-r2-wc-250-lumen-5-mode-memory-drop-in-led-module-for-flashlights-3-6v-8-4v-14442?item=36

and install it in your own P60 host (eg a Solarforce or Surefire etc)

Or you can just by the pill:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/26-5mm-smooth-aluminum-drop-in-module-set-without-emitter-5937?item=20

then add your own emitter and driver.

If you're willing to do some soldering. Then I suggest replacing the driver in any of the above dropins. In many cases a simple linear current regulator will perform better. This one is a personal favourite of mine and pushes the LED an extra 40% past the normal maximum.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/amc7135-1400ma-regulated-circuit-board-for-diy-flashlights-20-pack-3178?item=8

I've been asked a few times to put together a list of things to buy. So here are a few links. These are the sort of things I'd buy but I'm not responsible for what you end up getting. We're talking about cheap products from Chinese online sellers.

18650 cells and charger:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTAR-WP2-II-18650-Battery-Charger-2-x-XTAR-18650-3100mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-/330691915567?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Battery_Chargers&hash=item4cfec62f2f#ht_1325wt_1270

This is a suitable torch including a dropin with the right sort of LED and driver.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-cree-r2-wc-250-lumen-led-flashlight-black-1-18650-2-cr123a-16240?item=10

Or just buy the dropin:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-r2-wc-250-lumen-5-mode-memory-drop-in-led-module-for-flashlights-3-6v-8-4v-14442?item=36

and install it in your own P60 host (eg a Solarforce or Surefire etc)

Or you can just by the pill:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/26-5mm-smooth-aluminum-drop-in-module-set-without-emitter-5937?item=20

then add your own emitter and driver.

If you're willing to do some soldering. Then I suggest replacing the driver in any of the above dropins. In many cases a simple linear current regulator will perform better. This one is a personal favourite of mine and pushes the LED an extra 40% past the normal maximum.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/amc7135-1400ma-regulated-circuit-board-for-diy-flashlights-20-pack-3178?item=8

Thanks Ash, at the risk of sounding picky most of us will want a red LED, Any better offering than ther one in the first post mate?

Someone has had to drop out of the buy but I have someone in Cornwall wanting one. We'll be meeting up in the next few weeks so COD will be ok for that.

Dave-G wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits.

Roughcoat wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit......... payed thanks.

Nial wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... payed thanks

Fisheruk wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit ...........payed thanks

Loki wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... Cheque received thanks

Nobbybonez wants 1 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit ...........meeting up soon

Telf wants 2 P60 aspheric Lens + spacers kit................... payed thanks

Jamiedenny wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit

dave3p wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ................ Payed thanks

Marky610 wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits. ............ payed thanks

Misfire wants 2 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kits............... payed thanks

digit wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit .................. Payed thanks

Getafix wants 1 P60 Aspheric Lens + Spacers kit ................. payed thanks

A payment maybe lost in the post?

Ok I can talk about red or IR LEDs, but first I need to know which you actually want. 'Red' and 'IR' seem to used interchangably in this forum but they are different things.

Better yet, you can specify the wavelength you want.

That's a fair reflection for a non-shooter Ash which I'll try and answer.

White LED has proved to be very harsh so we generally avoid it.

We generally used white filament lamps which produced a softer colour than white LED up till recently. Bunnies would at first accept the 'yellow/dull light but soon became aware that it was bad news for them. We then changed the light to red using flip up filters but in time they become aware of that too. (It's commonly referred to as being 'lamp shy'.

We then used tubed night vision scopes which used various IR amounts/types: Typicaly 808nm lasers or 850nm LED's I believe at the outset, and later the more covert940nm, and filters of various nm too. Educated bunnies are still able to spot 808/850 fairly easy but 940 has produced good results - at reduced range for the very low light cameras we use.

I personally would like to hear about perhaps a 900nm LED. LED seems to produce a better quality image than lasers. A bit of a digital revolution has recently occurred which has opened the door for more 900/940nm LED's. Ever more powerfull Red and IR led's are therefore what we require.

Edited by Dave-G

thanks for taking the time to post the links ash..

can you recommend an ir drop in for the 501b.

cheers

Here's two 5W jobbies till Ash pops along. The 850nm one is less covert and will illuminate more than the 940nm one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270927139810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280845340730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Quick question, the red torches that people a going to be using, what lumens a they?

A copy and paste of the first link in my original post on this thread claims 200:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300584297308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&clk_rvr_id=361450420785

Apparently Ultrafire are well known for over-stating power ratings - as are various chinese ebay sites,

so the truth is...I don't know but they are much brighter (at the point of aim) than you might expect a Deben gun lamp would be with the red filter on. That point of aim is THE main player for our unique purposes. This is my less than amatuer take on this issue:

Imagine the Deben Tracer(filament)lamp as a typical lamp with a brightness control/dimmer. Apply some power and a tiny round coil of light heats up enough to emit light because it's 'sort of' burning, but being in a gas filled little sphere it lasts for a while longer than it sounds like it ought to. The more power that is applied, the hotter/whiter it glows. The light passes out of the glass sphere (bulb) in almost every direction and is reflected into a wide arc of light ahead of your torch.

That may be a 50 watt bulb emitting a multitude of colours collectively appearing as white to our eyes. but think of that burning filament again, we've all heard the expression red hot... that refers to hot metal emitting a red glow. So SOME of the light coming from the bulb is red, that is what a red filter allows to pass. The now red light being emitted from the old lamp is? shall we say 10% of the total light the bulb produces. We therefore only now have 5 watts ish of red light being spread out ahead of us. (I use that figure as a guess that may help this explanation attempt)

The trick then is to find a means of taking away the amount of light (maybe half) that is uneccessarily going anywhere away from where us shooters want it to be - and reposition it to boost the amount of light at the same place as our quarry! For this reason then we have perhaps the entire 5W of red light illuminating the quarry area alone rather than maybe 2.5W from the Deben light.

Tracking summaryPrint Tracking ID:

EC808134464AU

Product/service:

EMS Origin country:

Australia

Destination country:

United Kingdom

Transferred

Date/Time Activity Location

04/07/12 04:21 Transferred for delivery processing COVENTRY PF

01/07/12 17:58 Received and awaiting clearance for delivery COVENTRY PF

29/06/12 06:49 Received and ready for processing PERTH